Photo

Northwest Food & Wine Festival

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:26 PM

OK folks, this is a big event: over 600 wines and 30 restaurants and gourmet food tastes. It's regional, not just OR wines and food. It is next Saturday.

Certified sommeliers and chefs will be available to answer questions about wines and culinary conundrums. Industry booths of gourmet food, wine and kitchen products will introduce their brand or product to attendees. Live music features wonderful musicians in intimate settings to relax and enjoy. Many wineries will be offering bottle and case discounts and free shipping. Guests will have the opportunity to find that great wine buy!

Preferred tickets, which are limited to 500 and get you in an hour early (4pm-8pm),. are $95.
General Admission tickets, limited to 1000 (5pm-8pm) are $75.

You can buy tickets here: NW Food and Wine Festival Tickets

Yep, I'll be there with camera in hand, taking pics and notes and reporting back.

Anyone else from around these parts going?
Never give up! Never surrender!

#2 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:46 PM

A bit too rich for my tastes at this point in time. Plus the dress code annoys me. I hope everyone who goes enjoys it, though. I will be eagerly awaiting your report and photos, Jill-O.

Best regards,

Amanda

#3 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:24 PM

A bit too rich for my tastes at this point in time. Plus the dress code annoys me. I hope everyone who goes enjoys it, though. I will be eagerly awaiting your report and photos, Jill-O.

Best regards,

Amanda

Well, it is a suggested dress code. I doubt that they are going to turn folks away dressed neatly.

My cocktail dresses are kinda short...should be interesting and challenging when I am taking pics, to say the least. ;o)

#4 abefroman

abefroman
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:51 PM

Best regards,

Amanda

dress code??? this is portland

#5 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:18 AM

Exactly.

#6 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:00 PM

This is happening this Saturday, folks...

#7 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:24 PM

Got this today from Carlton Cellars:

There's been a lot of whooping and hollering in the winery today! We got our ratings from the NW Food and Wine Festival blind tastings, just released before the show on Saturday, Nov. 13. That's the place to be this weekend---there will be over 600 wines and 30 restaurants, a true gourmet wine and food celebration with live music too. Website is www.nwfoodandwinefestival.com.

We submitted three wines and the results are (drum roll please):

2008 ROADS END PINOT NOIR -- GOLD MEDAL AND BEST OF SHOW!
2008 CAPE LOOKOUT PINOT NOIR -- GOLD MEDAL
2008 SEVEN DEVILS PINOT NOIR -- SILVER MEDAL

We will be pouring all 3 wines on Saturday and if you'd like to come to the event you can get $20.00 off the entry price---just use the coupon code "wineclub" in the coupon field when you check out.

So there ya go, a chance to save $20 on the entry fee...

Anyone gonna be there?

#8 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

Another deal, this one from OBG, via EaterPDX:

The Deal: In addition to happily enabling our borderline alcoholism, our friends at the Oregon Bartender's Guild are also good for a deal or two: They're sponsoring discounted tickets to this Saturday's Northwest Food and Wine Fest, at $65 each (a $35 drop off the ticket price) or the even-better $99 for a pair.
When: While supplies last (before the November 13 event

Have at it, folks!

#9 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:29 PM

Wow...that was a lot of food and wine...and a lot of people. I am processing pics and will be posting them and a write-up as soon as I can...stay tuned...

#10 asteriskerin

asteriskerin
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:01 AM

^ Sorry I missed you there, Jill! A lot of people, indeed... many places were running out of food by 6:15pm, so I'm especially looking forward to your recap. So many things I didn't get a chance to eat. Le sigh.
pdx.eater.com.
check it.

#11 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:35 PM

Wow, that was a huge event - lots of wine, lots of food, lots and lots of people. I concentrated on the food, making sure I got tastes and pics of every thing I could - and did some wine tasting here and there. With something like 600 wines, there was no way to taste them all. I made sure to taste some WA along with the OR wines, though anyone who wanted to buy WA wines had to have them shipped from WA...that's the law, folks. Most WA wineries were offering free shipping on 6+ bottles, and all the wineries were featuring discount prices for the event.

The event was held at Pure Space, a large modern event space in the far end of the Pearl. I got there early, around 3:40pm (event started for VIPs at 4pm, and at 5pm for general admission). This was the event space around 4pm:

Posted Image

By around 6pm, the space looked like this (I had to hold up my camera over my head to get these shots, btw, I am short and it was a sea of shoulders and chests):

Posted Image Posted Image

If you can't handle crowds, spring for the VIP tickets...

Gabe Gabreski of A Cena was there with a delicious pot of pork sausage ragout with chanterelles and goat cheese gnocchi...he was looking as good as his food, too:

Allium Bistro (in West Linn) was there with one of the best squash soups I have ever had. Chef Pascal Chureau was there himself, and said it was a butternut squash and apple cider soup with wild berry honey and pinenuts. Not a very exciting picture, but the soup itself was excellent:

Posted Image

And the Oregon Dungeness Crab Commission (located in Coos Bay) was there, handing out sweet pieces of leg meat:

Posted Image

#12 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:19 PM

One of the new (to me) wineries I tried was Eden Vale. Located on what most folks consider the birthplace of Oregon’s commercial pear industry at Eden Valley Orchards (which began in 1885!), the Root Family now focuses on their small production winery, producing Syrah, Viognier, Cab Franc, Tempranillo, Pinot Noir and Chardonnay in the Rogue Valley AVA. I tried their Viognier and their Tempranillo. Not usually a white wine drinker, I was tasked in bringing an interesting wine for my date's friend (a viticulturist, no less!) at Thanksgiving...so I tasted whites! The 2007 Viognier was good, with nice peach/apricot/melon notes and a citrusy finish, and made in the classic Rhone style. This wine includes grapes from two vineyards - one in the Rogue Valley AVA, the other in the Applegate River AVA (which is a recognized sub-region of the Rogue Valley AVA - hey California and France, look at us now! ;o).

Posted Image

The 2004 Tempranillo was delicious (OK, I adore a good Tempranillo...Abacela makes a great one in Southern OR, too, btw.). Rich mouthfeel, berry fruit upfront, luxurious finish - just a lovely red. I love Pinot Noir as much as the next woman, but the other varietals found south and northwest of us, such as Tempranillo, are a boon to a Pinot-weary palate.

Posted Image

Chef Dustin Clark from Wildwood was there with a delicious Cattail Creek lamb ragout on Bob's Red Mill polenta with salsa verde. Really nice rich ragout on creamy coarse polenta with a bright and garlicky note from the salsa...simple, extremely well-prepared, best ingredients possible - all hallmarks of Chef Clark's cooking at Wildwood, and why I think it is one of the best places in town. Great dish.

Posted Image

Aquariva really brought it with a pork candy theme. They had chocolate covered pig ear with smoked cotton candy, and also bourbon bacon jam truffles. For those of you over pork/bacon in candy...good, more for me. I adored the pig ear, chewy, fatty, salty and covered in nice dark and creamy chocolate - and the smoked cotton candy really added a nice note when it melted in your mouth along with the fat and chocolate - so freaking good! I liked the bourbon bacon jam truffles, but next to the pig ear, they just couldn't compete.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Original was there with Carlton Farms pork cheeks with a celery root puree, brussels sprouts, and apple brown butter. Very rich and tender cheek, and the celery root puree and apple garnish cut through the richness well, with the apple brown butter tying it all together. One of the tastiest bites, IMO, and a very nicely composed bite, it was:

Posted Image

They also had, IMO a much less successful Caramel Molasses Cake with a salted caramel mousse and applewood smoked sugar glass. Pretty, and the smoked sugar glass was a nice touch, but the molasses cake was very sweet (as most are, granted) - and I was looking for a nice hit of salt and smoke from the topping, and it just did not deliver. The pork cheek, though, make me forgive them.

Posted Image

#13 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:43 PM

Urban Farmer was there with a very tasty skewered treat: wild boar sausage with pickled Rainier cherry and persimmon on pumpkin puree. This was also among the best bites I had the other night. The sausage was fantastic and their house pickled cherry and persimmon on the rich (how much butter and/or cream was in there? don't want to know!) pumpkin was just an awesome and different combination. Their display of backlit pickled stuff in jars was really nice, too, had to include a pic of that for y'all.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Blendissimo, a flavored olive oil and flavored balsamic vinegar business from Seattle was there sampling and selling their wares. These were actually very good products. True flavors that would be nice in salad dressings, but also really nice to cook with (and use as condiment additions), I was impressed. The raspberry balsamic was very good and the citrus oils (meyer lemon, lime, blood orage) were delicious. I also really liked the rosemary and basil oils. If you prefer to buy rather than make these kinds of things, these products are better than most I have tried. The combo of the pomegranate balsamic and lime olive oil was a really neat thing, too...like a Cosmo salad dressing combo!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Corfini Gourmet, a distributor here in Portland and in Seattle, was there with Thundering Hooves beef. It is 100% grass fed beef from Walla Walla, WA. Here's some shots of raw and cooked beef. It was very juicy and tender and quite enjoyable with some of the heartier reds that were being poured.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:10 PM

Chef Nick Yanes from H5O was there with a delicious roll of crab, avocado salad, radish, pickled mango and harissa puree. He plates some very pretty stuff at H5O. This roll was nice and sweet and fresh and a welcome change from some of the richer food being served.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Charlie's Produce was there with a gorgeous display of veggies, fruit, herbs, and flowers:

Posted Image

Including these adorable mini cauliflowers...the cups next to them are small 2oz. cups, btw:

Posted Image

Speaking of fruit, HV Cellars (from Roseburg, OR) was there with their 100% fruit wines (they also had Chardonnay, Pinot Gris and a red blend). These are wines made from fermented fruit juice - not wine made from grapes and flavored by the fruit. The Oregon Cranberry (made from cranberries grown near Coos Bay) and the Wild Blackberry were fabulous. The blackberry is a sweeter more viscous dessert-type wine. The cranberry was tart and sweet, like cranberry juice with a kick, very smooth and drinkable. I liked it so much I bought a bottle of it. Regularly retailing around $20, it was just $13 at this event. They also make a plum wine and a pomegranate wine.

Posted Image

Blue Hour was there with braised beef with a peppercorn sauce on horseradish whipped potatoes. The beef was absurdly tender and cut into almost perfect cubes, the creamy whipped potatoes made a nice bed for it.

Posted Image

Brooks is a biodynamic, family owned and run winery. In my quest for an interesting white, they ranked high (came in second!) with their 2008 Amycas. A typically Alsatian crisp and floral blend of Pinot Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Pinot Gris and Riesling, this was a very interesting and long-finishing white. The logo on the label (which is not their typical uroboros logo) features the alchemical symbol for vinegar, turned upside down. Very cute, eh? ;o)

Posted Image

#15 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:47 PM

Cana's Feast (the winery in Carlton, OR formerly known as Cuneo Cellars, until Gino Cuneo had to sue them for the right to use his own name to make wine, after being pushed out...yeah, you can't make this stuff up, can you?) was there with a nice 2008 Nebbiolo (heavy on tannin, but it is young) and a very delicious 2007 Syrah. They source fruit in both OR and WA and make some nice wines (some would say not as nice as the ones Gino Cuneo makes under the Tre Nova label) and are a worthy stop if you are tasting wines in Carlton. Their table was in an awful dark corner, could not get a good picture, so here are some images from their website. The Syrah is a club only wine for them, and it is really good - berry heavy with a hint of licorice and cocoa, a bit of tannin but supple and rich overall. A nice big red, indeed. The fruit is from Coyote Canyon Vineyard in south-central WA. Though they made their name in locally grown Italian varietals, this Syrah is one heckuva wine for under $30 (it retails, if you are a club member, anyway, for $27).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Craig Plainfield, of Plainfield's Place (aka Plainfield's Restaurant, aka Plainfield's Mayur) was there with velvet butter chicken on rice and mango cheesecake. The chicken was rich and coconut-creamy and well spiced, the mango cheesecake was a very nice rich little bite of tastiness:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Toast (on 52nd, just north of SE Steele) was there with some amazing pork belly. Brined in apple cider and herbs for over 12 hours, and then slow roasted for about 4 hours, it was grilled on site and served with some granny smith apple (which cut the richness beautifully). I could have eaten a bowl of this stuff.

Posted Image

There was live music there too. And you know I give the musicians their due. They sounded good, but they were off to the side in a room with lots of tables, so you could only hear them if you were near them. Jim Fischer/Music Box Productions:

Posted Image

#16 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:07 PM

Red wines usually need to breathe a bit, meaning a bit of air combining with the wine helps to 'open' the wine up - bringing out flavors and aromas that you just don't taste and smell right when you open up the bottle. Wines that need to breathe a lot are most often poured into a decanter. But now Soiree is making an aerator that goes right on top of a wine bottle. It mixes air and wine (yes, it is a wine carb ;o) as you pour wine into your glass, speeding up the process and keeping things nice and neat. It is a nifty item and now it is being sold in a handy carrying case. Brookstone will be carrying them soon, I am told:

The fabulous Oregon Rain folks were there with plenty of their water (there were also water coolers around, as well). I realy like this stuff, though I don't usually buy bottled water. It is important to have a water sponsor at events where there is a lot of alcohol and little or no non-alcoholic beverages available. Thank you!

Posted Image

Chez Gourmet makes a variety of veggie patties and products. They aren't trying to be meat-like, and for a meat substitute, these products are pretty darn good. They make patties and tots, and are based in Wilsonville, OR. They supply Burgerville with Oregon Harvest and Spicy Anasazi Bean patties. I was most impressed with their Savory Pecan Veggi Patti - nutty, good texture, nice flavor.

Hama Hama was there opening oysters. YUM! Talk about a great local product!

Posted Image

And Bo's Catering (the catering arm of the Typhoon!/Bo's Restobar empire) was there with an alliterative offering of a berry/brie/basil bruschetta:

Posted Image

#17 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

Laurelwood Brewing was there with pulled pork on a Hooligan beer bread round (good pork, tough bread) and a tasty brat burger (sausage patty) with housemade spicy mustard and sauerkraut on a pretzel roll. I liked the brat burger a lot and the mustard was very good. They were also there pouring beer and handing out all kinds of swag.

Another caterer there was Jodell Hinojosa from JoFoody. She had a really nice display for her chicken with fig mole. A stone bed on a perforated metal tray heated by flames underneath held the chicken skewers, keeping them warm in a very beautiful and dramatic way:

Posted Image

Simpatica was there, being their usual overachieving selves (you know I adore you guys! ;o). Aside from the absolutely perfect and crisp and delicious braised short rib arancini (which I have photographed at other events more than once, so I spare you here), they had a very delicious and rich black kale and blue cheese tart with saba, and perfectly fried (with just a dry coating of flour) fennel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Right near Maryville (and Stonehenge!) in Goldendale, WA on the WA side of the Columbia Gorge is Waving Tree Winery. I tried their 2007 Sangiovese Reserve (Chianti is traditionally made from this grape, btw) and their Sweet 2009 Sangiovese Rose. The Sangiovese Rose was a very interesting dessert wine - sweet but not cloying, a different varietal for a sweet wine we don't usually see around here.

#18 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:35 PM

What an event! That Soiree wine aerator is cool looking.

#19 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:53 PM

So what white did I decide on for bringing to Thanksgiving? A white blend from Quenett, a winery that makes their wines in WA, but has a tasting room in Hood River, OR. Smart, eh - they can sell their wines in either state and ship as they please as long as the receiving state's laws allow it. I selected their 2008 Nirvana, a blend of "Chardonnay, Sauv. Blanc, Semillon, Viognier & a drop of Gewurztraminer." Sweetness but not a lot of it so it is still crisp and refreshing but well rounded, with lots of fruit/melon on the nose/palate and a slightly citrusy finish. I think it will be a crowd pleaser for the usual white drinkers, and I am sure that I (and my usually red drinking date) can enjoy a glass of it as well with our turkey. Very affordable at $17. They also make some nice reds and other whites, as pictured:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Davis Street Tavern (another of my faves in town) is where Chef Scott Shampine (Olea, Gracie's, A Cena, Blue Hour), after a hiatus from the kitchen, has landed. He was there with some very nice food. It was a three course meal (starter, main, dessert) over at the DST table: goat cheese/mascarpone/pumpkin seed oil with walnut relish (walnuts, and dried fruit poached in port with cinnamon); crispy potato with braised veal cheek and apple salad; bacon and butternut squash with salted caramel. The veal cheek was fabulous - rich and tender on a thin crispy chip with crispy tart apples...and the bacon/butternut with salted caramel made my eyes roll up into my head...it was also seriously gorgeous.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ringside was there with a platter of chevre, watercress, poached pear and candied walnut on crackers. They were also serving roasted beef shoulder tender - here it is without it's peppercorn sauce - nice meat and I did not get a chance to taste it, unfortunately.

#20 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:45 PM

CAVU Cellars, in Walla Walla, WA was there with a 2008 Malbec, 2008 Barbera, and their 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon. From their website:

CAVU is an old aviation weather acronym that means ‘Ceiling and Visibility Unlimited’. Pilots always like seeing that acronym on their weather forecast as it means a good flying day.

Originally from Alaska, Jim Waite was a former army pilot, and when he found space in an old World War II building at the Walla Walla Regional Airport complex, he decided it would be a good place for him, his wife Karen and son Joel to make wine. Good move there Waite Family, these are some very nice wines. The Malbec is made from grapes from two sites at Verhey Vineyard in the Columbia Valley and they were fermented with different yeast strains and barrel aged before being blended. The result is a very nice (and young, it's only a 2008!) berry/cherry with a hint of citrus and plenty of spice wine that will only get better. A great find at $30, and only 259 cases made.

The Barbera (340 cases made) fruit comes from Alder Ridge Vineyard in the Horse Heaven Hills AVA (across the Columbia River from Umatilla and Boardman, OR). It's a cherry and spice kind of wine that needs food, and it too will be nice as it ages.

The Cabernet, though, that is one that will be one to cellar and enjoy in the future. Made from fruit from Les Collines Vineyard in the Walla Walla Valley, this wine has silky tannins and a long finish. Drinking nice even though young now, this will be an impressive red when it grows up. Cellar some at $35/bottle now and sit back and wait, because they only made 201 cases of it.

All of their labels look like this:

Posted Image

Quady North, in Jacksonville, OR, has some really nice label art. They also had the best Viognier (their 2007) at the event. At $19 retail, a very nice deal. From their website: "A cooler vintage in 2007 allowed for full ripening at lower sugars and higher acids, resulting in a truly sublime Viognier. To play up the fruit and minerality, we reduced the barrel fermentation but aged on the lees for 6 months following fermentation." This wine is made from grapes from their Steelhead Run Vineyard, in the Applegate Valley sub-AVA in the Rogue Valley AVA. The Wine Enthusiast and the Wine Spectator gave it 91 and 90 point ratings, respectively. Not too shabby!

Posted Image

There were lots of other wine and food folks there, and many of the local spirits folks were there too. McMenamin's, Rogue, New Deal, Organic Nation, Deco Distilling, Bend Distillery, Integrity Spirits, Dryfly DIstilling, Superfly Vodka - they were all there. And you can see pictures of their bottles in the Spirits and Mixology Show thread and read about their products there: http://portlandfood....-mixology-show/

And also there were caterers like Ingallina's and folks like Sweet Briar Farms (who were dipping bacon in chocolate - thanks!) whose pork was featured at Laurelwood (pulled pork, brat burger), Toast (that amazing pork belly), and A Cena (pork sausage ragout). Mahatma RIce was there giving away lots of swag and bags of rice - thanks guys! Don't know how they are a NW product, but there ya go...no fisticuffs witnessed over it, though. ;o)

Posted Image

Crispin Cider Company was there with several of their ciders, and there was also free-flowing Stella Artois and Hoegaarden, in addition to all the Laurelwood offerings.

Really, too much to consume everything, but definitely something for everyone.

Sure, there could have been more garbage receptacles, and providing spit buckets and pitchers of water for all the wine vendors would have been a good idea, but we made do with sharing buckets, and dealt with our messes. A better quality wine glass with a larger bowl for swirling and no rolled edge would have been nice for a wine event, but we made do with what we were given. A bigger space, yeah, that would have been very welcome, but Pure Space is a nice venue and there was plenty of 5 hour street parking (especially if you got there early ;o).

Feel free to post any questions or comments.

And I am sorry I missed you, *erin! I was looking, really I was!