Politics has no place here?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:24 AM

Okay, I'm a little confused here: I've been taken to task, edited, deleted and censored from time to time for bringing politics to this board. So have others. Fine, I now try to avoid doing that, with occasional slips.

So how come this morning when I open up this site there's a banner ad at the top from the Republican Committee? Not only that, but it features a lying, smear video of a Democratic candidate (Kurt Schrader). With, obviously, no opportunity for countering the ad. At least the airwaves and print media are governed by the fairness doctrine. What gives? <_<
signature

#2 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:10 AM

Okay, I'm a little confused here: I've been taken to task, edited, deleted and censored from time to time for bringing politics to this board. So have others. Fine, I now try to avoid doing that, with occasional slips.

So how come this morning when I open up this site there's a banner ad at the top from the Republican Committee? Not only that, but it features a lying, smear video of a Democratic candidate (Kurt Schrader). With, obviously, no opportunity for countering the ad. At least the airwaves and print media are governed by the fairness doctrine. What gives? <_<

Don't worry, they show plenty of offensive lying smear videos of conservative politics too :P
From my understanding of selling ad space on websites you engage with a company that places the ads, you don't get to choose what ads go up.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#3 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:07 AM

Fairness doctrine abolished in 1987 according to wikipedia

#4 Twohearted

Twohearted
  • Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:50 AM

A Republican political action group bought a lot of ad space on Google ads for the Oregon market so that's why you're seeing these ads here. They aren't controlled by the site administrator. I'm watching a web stream of a live event today and I'm periodically forced to watch Google ads, which include these anti-Kurt Schrader ones.

#5 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:17 PM

Hey Ken - are you moonlighting as a closet conservative? A lot of the online banner ad programs take data from sites you've visited and show you ads for those sites, or sites they think you might like based on your browsing history. :w00t:

#6 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

Hey Ken - are you moonlighting as a closet conservative? A lot of the online banner ad programs take data from sites you've visited and show you ads for those sites, or sites they think you might like based on your browsing history. :w00t:

Yeah...I think in my case they're likely missing the mark.

But honestly, I wasn't objecting to the ads being conservative in nature. I'd have the same issues if they were liberal. My problem is that they're political (not to mention of a rather base level, whichever side they're taking) on a site that has made a conscious and steadfast effort to exclude political comment. And though they may not be running with the prior knowledge of the site administrators, Google or whomever the site administrators lets run the ads should be vetted to make sure they're not running those type of ads here. Or if they can't be, then find an advertiser that can assure that the content of the ads they place here are not objectionable. But maybe money talks, and due diligence walks.
signature

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:26 PM

I could only find an alternative advertiser to pay $8/mo, so I'm sticking with the $16/mo that Google pays me so that I can keep my Shari's pie budget.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#8 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:25 AM

I could only find an alternative advertiser to pay $8/mo, so I'm sticking with the $16/mo that Google pays me so that I can keep my Shari's pie budget.

Maybe if I pay you the $8.00 difference per month I can start posting political screeds with impunity? :rolleyes:
signature

#9 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:38 AM

Or you could just wait two weeks until the political ads are gone. Personally, I haven't seen them. I get Photoshop ads from Google.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#10 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:00 AM

Or you could just wait two weeks until the political ads are gone. Personally, I haven't seen them. I get Photoshop ads from Google.

Your site...Do what you need to do. Just sayin'.
signature

#11 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

I get clothing store ads. Shocking. Not.

#12 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:48 PM

The only ad I seem to get is the Bing food cart map ad...but I am good at ignoring advertising.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#13 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:00 PM

All I see are animated Flash banners for penis enlargement...what gives?!?
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#14 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:57 AM

OK, so now I have been paying attention...the ONLY ad I get is the Bing food cart map ad...no others, ever, just that one. Seems really weird. I'm going back to ignoring them now...

#15 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:42 AM

I'd always thought data mining was bunk, but it looks like they've improved the algorithms considerably.

#16 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:03 AM

I'd always thought data mining was bunk, but it looks like they've improved the algorithms considerably.

And that earns you (both, IMO) a nomination for Best post of 2010!

That thread is here, btw: http://portlandfood....t-post-of-2010/

#17 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:20 AM

OK, so now I have been paying attention...the ONLY ad I get is the Bing food cart map ad...no others, ever, just that one. Seems really weird. I'm going back to ignoring them now...

Hmmm...Perhaps Nick made the Republican smear ad visible only on my computer? As a joke, that I can understand.
signature

#18 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:22 AM

Seems like you're considerably better at ignoring Google's political comments than mine. :rolleyes: Which was my original point in starting the thread.
signature

#19 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:13 AM

I get the Bing ad, too, and ads to vote for Ron Wyden.

#20 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:56 PM

OMG, today I have been posting in the Booze section a lot and now I get ads for Duffy's Rehab in Napa Valley!