Lardo

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 2Curious

2Curious
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:32 PM

Ate at Lardo yesterday. Had their Porchetta sandwich. Oh. My. God.

Tails and Trotters pork perfectly roasted with an amazing crunchy golden brown crust, capers aioli for a little umami, and some lemony, fragrant, intensely herbal, slightly bitter gremolata tossed in there to help cut through the grease, on a peasant roll, toasted for a little structure and soft enough to sponge up all da juice.

Holy. Wow. Probably the best thing in Portland that I've eaten in a year or so. And that's saying a LOT.

Check out their website, I guess the chef is a transplant from Vermont?

#2 ducky

ducky
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:36 PM

http://lardopdx.com/
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#3 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:32 PM

Here's the short bio from their website:

Lardo is Rick Gencarelli and Adam Parziale – longtime friends, chefs and fellow Italian- Americans who met while cooking on a farm in Vermont.

Not just any farm but a place called Shelburne Farms with an award-winning farmstead cheesemaking operation and a restaurant that made Gourmet magazine’s list of top 100 farm-to-fork restaurants in America during Rick’s tenure as head chef. (While working there, he also co-authored a cookbook that was named a New York Times notable cookbook and one of Food & Wine’s top 25 cookbooks of the year.)

After culinary school and a combined 25 years of experience cooking at high-profile restaurants from Manhattan’s Gramercy Tavern to Olives in Boston and New York, it was in Vermont that Rick and Adam finally got it.

Working with lamb, beef, veal, pork, cheese and vegetables raised and crafted on the property, as well as with dozens of other local farmers and food producers, they learned the simple beauty of true farm-to-table cooking and understood that utilizing whole animals and concentrating on local ingredients was the only way to cook.

Rick and Adam were drawn to Portland by the exciting local food scene and the bounty of the Pacific Northwest. The lack of snowstorms and freezing temperatures didn’t hurt either.

They are excited to bring their culinary creativity and experience to the vibrant Portland food cart scene where they plan to use great local ingredients to cook delicious and memorable food.

#4 Catastrophysicist

Catastrophysicist
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:05 PM

Went to Lardo earlier today. I mainly agree with 2Curious. I've got to figure out how to post pics, etc on here. In the meantime, I did a blog post on it here: http://catastrophysi...-fridays-lardo/

#5 waxfang

waxfang
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:33 PM

Well, I know where I'm getting lunch tomorrow.

#6 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:34 PM

Stopped in at Lardo today and had one of the best sandwiches I've had in probably a year. I went there thinking I was getting the Porchetta, but the mortadella & provolone caught my eye. They slice the mortadella very thin then griddle it. Nice char marks & flavor throughout the sandwich. Melted provolone, thick ribbons of pickled hot red peppers of some sort, a bit of greenery on there, mustard aioli, and a really great sandwich roll from Fleur De Lis. Everything was so well balanced, not too much or too little of any one item, nice heat from the peppers but not too overpowering, it was just perfect.

The fries are fantastic. I think they're fried in lard, then dusted with sea salt & parm reg. There are also little fried bits of fresh sage & rosemary in with the fries. Wow.

Can't wait to get back there and try the porchetta. Really nice guys too.

#7 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:24 AM

I favor the mortadella & provolone slightly more than the porchetta. Both sandwiches are excellent but I'm slightly more drawn to the balance of flavors of the first. The rich meat and cheese combined with the tangy peppers is really fantastic. Their soups are also very good.

#8 HappyHourHero

HappyHourHero
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:03 PM

I didn't love the porchetta I had from them. I'll have to stop by to try the mortadella.

#9 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:15 PM

Had the double burger today which was just juicy, goopy, and awesome. Two burgers, 2 chunks of porky belly, Tillamook cheddar and Lardo sauce and onions (or does the sauce have onions?). Damn delicious. $8. Love that sauce, brings out the meatiness of the burger. No veggies, pickles, tomatoes.. just the business.

#10 Catastrophysicist

Catastrophysicist
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

^^OMGWTF!!? I think died for a second just reading that. . .

#11 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:32 AM

I posted in the Good Food Here thread about their broccoli rabe sandwich. Best vegetarian sandwich I've ever had!

#12 The Wannabe Gourmand

The Wannabe Gourmand
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Food.

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:29 AM

It’s funny, now I feel like a stalker; we must be running around the same parts of SE Portland!
I saw your post the other day and remembered that I haven’t made it to Lardo for a while, so I decided to stop by since I was in the neighborhood today.

Before today I had their excellent Porchetta Sandwich a couple of times, the Lamb Sliders once (very good but not quite as good as the Porchetta for my taste) and I once had their Pork Belly and Farm Egg Sandwich (also very very good, something I want to try again).

So today I decided to try the new double patty pork belly burger that you were raving about. Wow! Very good, I really enjoyed it although it was cooked a bit more than the medium rare I usually prefer. But what really made my meal outstanding were the fresh homemade potato chips from Euro Trash that I ended up having along with the burger.

Because I’ve been meaning to try Euro Trash’s Foie Gras for a while now, today I felt like splurging a little and I also got the Foie Gras and Chips. While the actual Foie Gras was kind of underwhelming (small piece, nothing too special about the preparation); the chips were a home run, with some kind of lemony aioli slathered all over, they didn't really get soggy and ended up being the perfect side for my Lardo burger, I just wish I’d taken a better picture of them. It ended up being a spendy food cart lunch (the Foie Gras and Chips was $13), but it was very very tasty. If Euro Trash sells those chips without the Foie Gras, I totally recommand getting them as a side with the Lardo burger, they're the perfectly balancing side to the richness of the burger.

So here are the two pics I’ve taken.
Attached File  iPhone 001_resize.JPG   169.77K   5 downloads
Attached File  iPhone 002_resize.JPG   155.87K   2 downloads

Had the double burger today which was just juicy, goopy, and awesome. Two burgers, 2 chunks of porky belly, Tillamook cheddar and Lardo sauce and onions (or does the sauce have onions?). Damn delicious. $8. Love that sauce, brings out the meatiness of the burger. No veggies, pickles, tomatoes.. just the business.

#13 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

Swung by Lardo today (hey, this pod's carts were open this time! How 'bout that!) and tried the griddled mortadella sandwich. Thought I'd post a couple shots since no one else has yet:

Posted Image
Posted Image

I was surprised how spicy it was. Not overbearingly spicy, but spicy enough for me. Mama Lil's peppers range from sweet to mouth-searing, and these were closer to the semi-hot end of their product line. Still enjoyable, though. Like most things at this cart, salt is the name of the game, and it's front and center. I like that to a certain extent, but it can get a little overwhelming toward the end of their sandwiches. Better than a lot of other establishments' sandwiches, though, and the Fleur de Lis bread isn't hurting. Just drink lots of water to replace what's leached out of you.

#14 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,602 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

Beautiful shots on those sandwiches.

I love me some Mama lil' peppers, and agree with Adam's jeckyll-to-hyde assessment.

I really can only drink water with sandwiches, so I'd power through many glasses of water no problem.

These sandwiches set one back...$7? $8?
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#15 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

Only $7 for the griddled mortadella, which is a good deal.

Posted Image

I also split the Double Burger with my girlfriend. At only $8, it's a lot of meat for the cash (two patties + pork belly), but I'd put it squarely in the good-but-not-great category.

#16 Joedo6

Joedo6
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

Went out of my way to stop by for that mortadella sandwich for lunch today and didn't even see the Lardo cart. Am I blind? There was an open spot (between a Japanese cart and Viking Soul Food) where I thought the Lardo cart is usually parked, unless I'm mistaken. Grrr, I even checked the hours/days to see when they'd be open.

#17 pyrofemme

pyrofemme
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:04 PM

Lardo is at the Portland Bazaar on NE 9th @ Flanders today and tomorrow.

#18 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

Went out of my way to stop by for that mortadella sandwich for lunch today and didn't even see the Lardo cart. Am I blind? There was an open spot (between a Japanese cart and Viking Soul Food) where I thought the Lardo cart is usually parked, unless I'm mistaken. Grrr, I even checked the hours/days to see when they'd be open.

It wouldn't be the first time they've been gone. Just wish they were better about updating their twitter/fb to let people know.

#19 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Lardo is going B&M!

http://www.oregonliv...ng_over_jo.html

Opening early summer in the old Johnny B's spot on SE Hawthorne/12th across from Cartopia and Burgerville...16-20 beers on tap, outdoor seating...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#20 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

Lardo is going B&M!

http://www.oregonliv...ng_over_jo.html

Opening early summer in the old Johnny B's spot on SE Hawthorne/12th across from Cartopia and Burgerville...16-20 beers on tap, outdoor seating...

Damn it! On one hand, congrats to Rick for the success he's having and for committing to a location and space where people can expect him to be open at the posted hours. But on the other hand, I'm moving two blocks away from the Good Food Here pod and was looking forward to having him around as a quick and easy option!

I'm being selfish, though. Good for him.