Coconut Water

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,591 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:58 PM

In all of my years of tippling, I've found that there really is no magic bullet to cure a hangover. Sure, there are a variety of things that will make you feel slightly better, but nothing really 'cures' a hangover, excepting time.

I had read all of the press over coconut water and wondered if it was just another trendy gimmick. But after trying it several times now, I am pleased to report back that it actually works! Really. It works. Drink it! It leaves you feeling refreshed and alert. I've even used it at the end of the day, in lieu of a Diet Coke, for a boost of energy. Also, it works almost instantly. You feel better in like a half an hour.

It's not cheap (sometimes running close to $3 a serving), and the taste takes some getting used to, but I am super pleased with the effects. The brand I have been purchasing is Naked (only because I found it on sale). After trying it first over the summer, I'm already on my second case of it (I order it through Amazon.com).

I did some googling:

10 years ago, when the U.N.'s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) was granted a patent — the first ever given to a U.N. agency — for bottling coconut water in a way that preserves its nutrients, an FAO official noted that the drink contains the same five electrolytes found in human blood (Gatorade has only two). He called coconut water "the fluid of life." Indeed, in medical emergencies, coconut water has been used intravenously when conventional hydration fluids were not available.

http://www.time.com/...1990805,00.html

#2 gturillo

gturillo
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:51 PM

I LOVE coconut water! I normally buy the Coconut Bay, haven't tried the naked. I have seen cans of Goya around and they are generally less expensive.

#3 stu

stu
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:11 PM

I had read all of the press over coconut water and wondered if it was just another trendy gimmick. But after trying it several times now, I am pleased to report back that it actually works! Really. It works. Drink it! It leaves you feeling refreshed and alert. I've even used it at the end of the day, in lieu of a Diet Coke, for a boost of energy. Also, it works almost instantly. You feel better in like a half an hour.

It's not cheap (sometimes running close to $3 a serving), and the taste takes some getting used to, but I am super pleased with the effects. The brand I have been purchasing is Naked (only because I found it on sale). After trying it first over the summer, I'm already on my second case of it (I order it through Amazon.com).

I buy the whole young coconuts so that I get to eat the flesh in addition to drinking the water. Much more satisfying and often acts as my breakfast on the weekends.

#4 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,591 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:13 PM

I buy the whole young coconuts so that I get to eat the flesh in addition to drinking the water. Much more satisfying and often acts as my breakfast on the weekends.

That sounds fantastic. Where do you get them?

#5 stu

stu
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:47 PM

That sounds fantastic. Where do you get them?

Food Front always has them.

#6 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,590 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:36 PM

Pick up shaved coconuts at any SE Asian store, including Fubonn. Lop off the end, spill out the sweet nectar. I use coconut water for braising pork and hardboiled eggs in a Vietnamese dish.

Angelhair, I didn't even know about this, I will have to give it a shot.

There's a soda called "Coco Rico" - I think it's actually Puerto Rican - we always had it in the house growing up. Probably wouldn't help, but would be a nice mixer for the coconut water the next morning.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#7 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:51 PM

Hmmm, that sounds like a really good alternative to overly caloric (and disgusting) sports drinks like gatorade that use HFCS. Several friends who are always on the latest weird health trend started drinking it, but the price and trendiness scared me off.

#8 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:59 AM

Next time anyone is enjoying the carts up at 42nd and Belmont try Kitchen Dances (vegan)- they have coconut water. (Owner, Piper, is nice too.)
Mon-Sat 9am-9pm

(I had the golden beet ravioli there - nut/cheese type filling sandwiched between layers of golden beet. Very filling - I ended up not eating all of it. I thought the flavors were good, but the filling was a bit overwhelming. As I was standing in line someone told me his vegan Ruben was great - hmmmm, not sure it can compare to K&Z's but if it is good for vegan then more power to Piper.)
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#9 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,591 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:36 AM

Purely for scientific reasons, I tried coconut water as a preventative measure last night.

Over the course of a long evening, I had three cocktails and about three beers. And only one glass of water. Now that is close to what it takes to make a very slow morning for me.

So instead of taking a pain reliever and a glass of water before I went to bed, I drank a coconut water. Et voila! Fresh as a flower this morning - no headache. Coconut water, you will be my savior for PDXCocktail Week.

FWIW, I am onto a new brand, VitaCoco. It's slightly sweeter than Naked, but I prefer Naked.

:bottomsup: cheers and let the games begin!

#10 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

AH - I don't know if this is the same type of stuff you're drinking, but Whole Foods has "So Delicious" brand Coconut Milk original, vanilla or unsweetened on sale 3 for $5, 32 oz. Not sure if coconut "milk" and coconut "water" are the same or not, but thought I'd mention the sale just in case it's the same thing.

#11 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,591 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:02 AM

AH - I don't know if this is the same type of stuff you're drinking, but Whole Foods has "So Delicious" brand Coconut Milk original, vanilla or unsweetened on sale 3 for $5, 32 oz. Not sure if coconut "milk" and coconut "water" are the same or not, but thought I'd mention the sale just in case it's the same thing.

Thanks for the tip. But they are different. Coconut water is exactly that; crack open a young coconut and the liquid that's inside is what's the call coconut water. Coconut milk, which I use for cooking, comes from the coconut 'meat'.

On a side note, I remember the first time I opened a can of Coco Lopez (which is cream of coconut, I think). Coco Lopez is used in a lot of Tiki drinks. Anyhoo, I open the can and it's this greasy and thick syrupy shit. I thought that the can had gone off! So I opened another...oh...it's *supposed* to be this way! Needless to say, we were forced to drink two can's worth of Painkillers to use up the stuff!

#12 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,591 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:39 AM

Coconut water is no match against Portland Cocktail Week. I'm going to have to cure this hangover the old fashioned way: eggs, analgesics and exercise.

#13 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:58 PM

Not exactly a hangover cure, but the best cocktail I think I've ever had was at Beaker and Flask: Vintage rum, some kind of housemade fresh pineapple syrup, and coconut water ice cubes. Don't remember the name of it, but it was absolutely delicious. Sort of a grown-up pina colada, hold the umbrella.
signature

#14 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

Not exactly a hangover cure, but the best cocktail I think I've ever had was at Beaker and Flask: Vintage rum, some kind of housemade fresh pineapple syrup, and coconut water ice cubes. Don't remember the name of it, but it was absolutely delicious. Sort of a grown-up pina colada, hold the umbrella.

Sal's Minion. Aged rum, pineapple gomme, coconut water ice cubes. This is a pretty regular fixture on their cocktail menu (although I think it may be retired for the fall/winter).

#15 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,591 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

At the Tiki party for PDX Cocktail week, they were making a cocktail with rum & coconut water. Trend?

#16 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

Sal's Minion. Aged rum, pineapple gomme, coconut water ice cubes. This is a pretty regular fixture on their cocktail menu (although I think it may be retired for the fall/winter).

That's the one! Friggin' yummy!
signature

#17 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:35 PM

I just drink a container of ONE brand coconut water about a half hour ago. First time trying this stuff. I was feeling really blech and tired. Now I feel oddly alert.

#18 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:51 PM

I don't recall the brand, but I picked up a couple Acai-flavor coconut waters in the health/organic section of the Raleigh Hills Fred Meyer. They were $2.79 for 16 ounces, which is 2 servings.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#19 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:58 PM

Actually is was VitaCoco, and it was Acai and Pomegranate. A quick google tells me Madonna is an investor, so I've officially converted to Kabbalah.

#20 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,037 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:40 PM

Shalom, chaver!

Oops, I forgot, the new Kabbalists aren't really Jews...

;o)
Never give up! Never surrender!