Foster Cart Pod

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 waxfang

waxfang
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

Less than a 30 second walk gets you a tasty sandwich at An Xyuen for under $3. You can get a massive bowl of soup at Pho Hung or a burger and fries at Foster Burger for $8. Carts have quickly lost their trendy, cool-factor. If they're not a viable, tasty, cheap alternative to fast food, then they will die. And should.

Agreed, that was pretty much my point.

I can eat like an over-stuffed KING at An Xuyen for $5. If I want to drop $8-12, Foster Burger, Pho Hung, Slingshot Lounge, etc. are all just as close. No one can be making money on these things; I'd wager foot traffic at this spot is MAYBE a dozen people a day (can see it right out the window while I'm working)...split between 5 carts...and the 5th cart has been in the "painting/prep stage" since November. That's 5 months of rent going out without a single dime rolling in. Again, the last thing I want to see is people fail in this economy where there are few if any safety nets left, but who honestly thinks this is a viable business plan at this point, food carts or otherwise?

Again, as I mentioned on twitter earlier, I'd gladly trade this entire pod just to get Morelia back.

#22 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

I assume you're not driving? Because Morelia isn't more than 5 minutes away by car.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#23 waxfang

waxfang
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:18 PM

I assume you're not driving? Because Morelia isn't more than 5 minutes away by car.

With the horrific in town mileage my car gets at $4/gal, and winter weather making a quick bike ride not always an option, I usually stick to what's in the neighborhood.

#24 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:42 PM

Yeah, Nong's is definitely one of the carts worth going out of your way for.

Best regards,

Amanda

#25 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

Had breakfast at a new cart in the Foster pod last weekend: The Egg Carton.

http://www.foodcarts...the-egg-carton/

https://www.facebook.com/EggCartonPDX

We had the FoPo Cristo (Fried egg, cheddar cheese, Canadian bacon, bacon, strawberry jam. Served between French Toast slices and dusted with powdered sugar $7), The Ronald (basically and EggMc-you-know-what with a drizzle of maple syrup - $5), coffee and OJ. Coffee is Cellar Door and very good.

Everything was delicious. I love the sweet/salty thing and both of these options delivered on that. They also do omelet specials, fruit salad, and other sandwiches.

It's a closer bike ride than Yolk for us, but it isn't open as early (they open at 10am, Yolk opens at 9am or earlier, not sure). It's not super fast, they've only been open for a few weeks and are working out their processes, but this is one promising cart. We will definitely be back!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#26 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

Hey, now The Egg Carton is open at 9am! Yay!

They take their food seriously, they care and it shows. Because of the amazing strawberries out now, last weekend was strawberry specials! I really try to stay away from carby breakfasts, but I couldn't the other day. Sue and I shared the two specials: strawberry and cream cheese stuffed french toast; and devil's food pancakes with strawberries and strawberry syrup. A couple of sides of bacon ($2 for 2 slices of bacon...best bacon side deal in town!) and a couple of large coffees (french press method, Cellar Door beans) and Sue and I were ready to pedal our bikes all around Fo-Po for the Foster-Powell Garden Tour (which was great, we have awesome neighbors who have beautiful yards and gardens).

OK, we probably took in more calories than we expended but it was worth it.

Seriously those chocolate pancakes were delicious, and they make a great french toast (and they gave us some maple bourbon syrup - delicious, not too boozy - in case we needed it ;o). The "Ronald" is a great $5 breakfast sandwich...way better than the Egg-Mc-you-know-what.

If you are nearby, it's a great breakfast option...

Between The Egg Carton and Yolk, I might never eat breakfast at a brick & mortar joint again.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#27 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

Was driving by this morning and decided to try the Egg Carton. I had the FoPo Cristo. It had a hint of horseradish that cut the richness of the meat, egg, and cheese and really made for a superior Monte Cristo. It was great.

#28 Gallina Gallo

Gallina Gallo
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

I just want to second the Egg Carton's quality. I had a breakfast there a few weeks ago and finally have a reason to visit this bizarre cart pod. I had the Ronald and, while not as amazing as Pine State, was delicious and somewhat new to my palette. The syrup matched up with the sausage like when you pour too much on your pancakes in the diner only to enjoy it on the breakfast links as well (Junior's flashbacks). My SO enjoyed her Benedict just as much. She didn't think much of my sando, but it wasn't destined to be her pick anyway.

Quick link to their menu: https://www.facebook...362037523876734

#29 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

Hey, welcome, Gallina Gallo!

#30 Gallina Gallo

Gallina Gallo
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Hey, welcome, Gallina Gallo!

Thanks. I have done a fair share of lurking here, but wanted to get in on the conversation here and there.