Mirakutei

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 HappyHourHero

HappyHourHero
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:07 PM

I dropped in to Hiroshi last week for a lunchtime omakase. It's my favorite time to go to Hiroshi. Generally, it has been pretty empty around lunch time. He will do a lighter omakase of about 10 courses that runs around 40 pretip. Since it is more relaxed you can chat with Hirosan and not feel the pressure of being surrounded by other diners. He mentioned that there will be a Sapporo style ramen house opening up at the end of the summer/beginning of fall. I couldn't fully understand what he was saying, but I got the impression that he was opening it. He also mentioned Nobu Matsuhisa's name in the conversation, but again I didn't fully understand the connection... Either way, this could be some very good news.

#2 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,583 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

I dropped in to Hiroshi last week for a lunchtime omakase. It's my favorite time to go to Hiroshi. Generally, it has been pretty empty around lunch time. He will do a lighter omakase of about 10 courses that runs around 40 pretip. Since it is more relaxed you can chat with Hirosan and not feel the pressure of being surrounded by other diners. He mentioned that there will be a Sapporo style ramen house opening up at the end of the summer/beginning of fall. I couldn't fully understand what he was saying, but I got the impression that he was opening it. He also mentioned Nobu Matsuhisa's name in the conversation, but again I didn't fully understand the connection... Either way, this could be some very good news.

You don't say...this is indeed good news.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

I'll go get more info tomorrow. I've long thought Hiro should rethink things a little -- mainly so that he stays in business and I can continue to eat his food. Because I like what he does now fine. He's just never busy.

If it ends up being a ramen instead of soba version of Tei An, I will be there often.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#4 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:38 PM

I'll go get more info tomorrow. I've long thought Hiro should rethink things a little -- mainly so that he stays in business and I can continue to eat his food. Because I like what he does now fine. He's just never busy.

If it ends up being a ramen instead of soba version of Tei An, I will be there often.

Ditto! Wow! This may be very, very good news!!! God, I love Portland more and more every day.
breakin' the law, breakin' the law!

#5 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:22 PM

From our pals at EaterPDX:

Finally, confirmation of the long-rumored noodle house from Hiroshi chef/owner Hiro Ikegaya: Paperwork from the OLCC shows that Ikegaya has filed a liquor license for a restaurant called Mirakutei, nestled in a 380-square-foot space on E. Burnside's hipster row...Scheduled opening date is sometime in October.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#6 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:40 PM

http://www.portlandm...open-mirakutei/

Ikegaya says the focus is Sapporo-style ramen noodles, sushi rolls and “Japanese tapas with contemporary Southern California creativity,” a specialty of the chef that he is transporting to Portland from Los Angeles. Scheduled to open in late October or early November, Mirakutei will be open daily, until midnight, with prices $4-$10. Ikegaya plans to stay at his post at Hiroshi.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#7 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

Could.....could it be....could it be the ramenya-san we've been longing for? And Sapporo style? It'll be overrun with hipsters from day one of course but even so what fantastic news!

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:31 PM

I just hope he makes enough money off of it he brings in some good fish at Hiroshi.

#9 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:29 AM

I just hope he makes enough money off of it he brings in some good fish at Hiroshi.

Mmmm. East Burnside hipsters subsidizing yuppies' overconsumption of endangered species. I like it!

#10 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:19 PM

Scheduled to open in late October or early November, Mirakutei will be open daily, until midnight, with prices $4-$10. Ikegaya plans to stay at his post at Hiroshi.

We might as well plan on: Open Sun-Thur until 10pm, Fri/Sat until 11pm.

Taking off my late-night-sucks-in-PDX hat for a second, perhaps that location will draw the nearby post-9pm crowd, combined with the fact that it will be a small enough operation to staff. Biwa's late night seems to be humming along nicely these days.

#11 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:33 PM

Just looked at the OLCC paperwork mentioned above. Only 20 seats. He has on the paperwork open 4:30p to 10:30p Sunday - Thursday, open until 11:30p Friday & Saturday. My guess is that 10:30pm time either gets extended or reduced. Hopefully they'll open for lunch eventually. With 20 seats, if it's good, which I suspect it will be, and gets publicity, which I suspect it will, it could always be full.

#12 jrj

jrj
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:53 PM

Just looked at the OLCC paperwork mentioned above. Only 20 seats. He has on the paperwork open 4:30p to 10:30p Sunday - Thursday, open until 11:30p Friday & Saturday. My guess is that 10:30pm time either gets extended or reduced. Hopefully they'll open for lunch eventually. With 20 seats, if it's good, which I suspect it will be, and gets publicity, which I suspect it will, it could always be full.

Not positive, but I think the sign on the window yesterday said 4:30-11:00p M-Th, 4:30-Midnight F-Sa, 4:00-11:00p Sunday, with Happy Hour until 6 p.m. every day. Chef de cuisine from Matsuhisa. Yeah, lunch would be nice as would late night hours. It didn't look anywhere close to being ready to open.

#13 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

Not positive, but I think the sign on the window yesterday said 4:30-11:00p M-Th, 4:30-Midnight F-Sa, 4:00-11:00p Sunday, with Happy Hour until 6 p.m. every day. Chef de cuisine from Matsuhisa. Yeah, lunch would be nice as would late night hours. It didn't look anywhere close to being ready to open.

Interesting. I wonder if there's something we're not understanding here. Matsuhisa chef for a ramen joint?

#14 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:30 PM

Interesting. I wonder if there's something we're not understanding here. Matsuhisa chef for a ramen joint?

yeah, found out about the chef from Matsuhisa 2 days ago, and had the same reaction/confusion/potential excitement. curious to see what he's up to. hopefully not something more fancy or expensive. hoping for good cheap-ish noodles.not Hiroshi pt. 2
breakin' the law, breakin' the law!

#15 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:42 PM

Hiroshi part two wouldn't be bad. They just need to take Hiroshi and make it a ramen-ya. That's how it should be anyway: the bigger space the cheap food and the smaller space the expensive, perfectly prepared, expensive sushi. At least, that's my dream.

#16 greenpants

greenpants
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:07 AM

A set opening date yet?
Anybody?

#17 nwexperience

nwexperience
  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:books, hiking, food, college football, writing

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:57 PM

I drove by this weekend and the sign in the window now says December.
My NW Experience Blog - Food, beer, cats, football - all the fun stuff. And I'm on Twitter.

#18 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:46 PM

I talked to them last time I was in Hiroshi and they said by the end of January.

#19 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

Snapped a pic from the final days of construction last week:

Posted Image

Looks like 20 seats max, including bar. Tiny. This is the size Hiroshi should be (and this should probably be the size of Hiroshi). Looks like they'll have a fryer and a grill, too, though, so hopefully skewers and karaage will be on the menu as well.

Hours, etc, are up:

Posted Image

With only 20 seats or so, I'm not sure they should bother with a happy hour. I imagine it will be harder to get in than to afford the place.

#20 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,580 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

no lunch?! Still...cannot wait!