freezing eggplant

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joeleatspdx

joeleatspdx
  • Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:53 PM

We are up to our wazoo in eggplant from our CSA. Anyone know how to freeze or a good eggplant recipe that can freeze?
-- bacon IS a food group.

#2 abefroman

abefroman
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:42 PM

We are up to our wazoo in eggplant from our CSA. Anyone know how to freeze or a good eggplant recipe that can freeze?

baba ganoush will freeze well, since eggplant has such a high water content probalaby not a lot of other options for freezing. pickled eggplant is also a good way to go

#3 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:16 PM

If the eggplant is cooked, it can be frozen, but I don't think you can freeze raw eggplant and get good results. Now, I don't know if you can cook plain slices or cubes and then freeze them and be able to use them in the original way you'd like, but cooking it into a dish and then freezing should work fine.

So yes, you can save some for later, but I think you have to do all the prep and cooking now to end up with good results.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#4 gturillo

gturillo
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:36 PM

To Freeze:

1. Wash, peel if desired, and slice 1/3-inch thick. Prepare quickly, enough eggplant for one blanching at a time.
2. Water blanch, covered for 4 minutes in one gallon boiling water containing 1/2 cup lemon juice (fresh or bottled).
3. Cool, drain and package, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Seal in zip closure freezer bags and seal and freeze.
4. For frying -- Pack the drained slices with a freezer wrap between slices. Seal and freeze.

#5 iclimb1998

iclimb1998
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

You can grill it up and freeze it in airtight plastic, great for lasagna, caponata, all sorts of good stuff.