Photo

October Event - Slappy Cakes

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:23 AM

There is no such thing, really. And in this case, where everyone ordered off a menu based on who was there, there is no reason for it (and you know it, Amanda! Don't scare the newbies! ;o).

But when we set up a meal and we get a per person cost and the restaurant expects x# of people to show up and folks do not show up - we expect those folks to chip in so that folks who went do not have to pay extra because of it. It rarely happens, because most members are responsible adults on this board.

When we set those meals up, like the anniversary dinner I will be planning (a set meal at a set price per person), we try and make it clear that when you ultimately commit to attending, that you are obligating yourself to the cost of the meal.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#22 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:25 AM

OK. I've been chastised. There currently is NOT a no-show kitty. I still think it's a good idea, though. And this last one was my bad. My friend flaked and went to Smith Rock State Park instead of downing hot cakes with the rest of us. She gave no notice, however, and stood us up sans explanation. It was my guest so I'm responsible.

Best regards,

Amanda

#23 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

Yeah, Amanda, but you knew she wasn't there when you ordered...no one paid more money because she didn't show. Nor was anyone turned away due to lack of table space, like when we are limited to a certain # at a table.

No harm, no foul...no guilt!

;o)
Never give up! Never surrender!

#24 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:57 AM

Greystreak - you did an awesome job of starting a thread and hosting a meal with the group. I loved that you and Ducky brought special molds so our first round of pancakes looked like celestial bodies. The sweet potato pancake batter was good but didn't have much of a flavor of potatoes, although it was pale orange in color. Tasted great though - and who knew that bleu cheese would go so well in pancakes? I'm hooked now for sure.

I really like the mushroom scramble, the home-made English muffins, the Benedicts (especially the one with prosciutto and spinach) and the chicken-fried bacon. Mr P&J loved his two bites, even if they were cold from the refrigerator.

The space was open, light and comfortable, as long as you remember not to put your arms or hands on the hot griddle. Thanks again for setting this up.

#25 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:39 PM

So glad I got to try some new things. The pork belly benedict was very rich and kinda sweet so I was glad to be able to share it. Just one bite was plenty. Not so with the slappy benedict. I've actually never had eggs benedict before and the slappy benedict was so good I had to go back and have one of my own during my vacation week. :drool:
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)