The O wins.

Attached File  successful-troll-is-successful.jpg   35.78K   1 downloads

#42 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:08 AM

That screed sounded exactly like a teabagger's meandering, non-sensical diatribe against whatever it is they hate, which is why I brought it up and why it fits. And this group self-identified themselves as teabaggers from the get-go until everyone pointed out how ridiculous this was, so, no, it's not homophobic, any more than me saying an omelette from Shari's makes a Cleveland Steamer tasty in comparison.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#43 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:11 AM

And it's clear these articles were written to bring out the teabaggin' contingent that live in any local newspaper comments section.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#44 gturillo

gturillo
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:21 AM

Restaurants & food carts are an important part of our tourism economy. I'm amazed that Portland's Mayor, Tourism Council, etc haven't blasted the O for this article.

#45 gustoeater

gustoeater
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

You're the father of Padma Lakshmi's child

- I WISH !

#46 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:29 AM

I merged the threads

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#47 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:31 AM

That screed sounded exactly like a teabagger's meandering, non-sensical diatribe against whatever it is they hate, which is why I brought it up and why it fits. And this group self-identified themselves as teabaggers from the get-go until everyone pointed out how ridiculous this was, so, no, it's not homophobic, any more than me saying an omelette from Shari's makes a Cleveland Steamer tasty in comparison.

That is utter and absolute bullshit and has absolutely nothing to do with the article.
But of course I'm sure that The Oregonian's misguided change of direction is Bush's fault.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#48 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:37 AM

Keep the political season out of the thread, please. If you want to argue about tea partiers, take it to PM.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#49 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:49 AM

In all seriousness though this is very little to get worked up over.
Flynn's troll says it all.

Grant Butler's on Twitter talking about how much traffic the article's getting.
Be offended at how poorly written it was, not the content.
It's all about demographics. Foodies everywhere are saying exactly what (I think it was Egads) Egads said- "I wish I subscribed so I can cancel". Foodies aren't the Oregonian's demographic. People that eat at Sharis are.

They kill two birds with one stone. They validate and confirm the tastes of their core audience while bringing in additonal traffic from livid foodies. They win.

The same content as presented by a more skilled writer could've come off as more of an Onion kind of thing.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#50 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:57 AM

"teabaggers" (kinda homophobic to use that in a derogatory sense dontcha think)

I keep waiting for hordes of angry gay men to take to the streets to "reclaim" it...

Meanwhile I giggle to myself every time I see it used, wondering who the clueless conservative was that first decided to use it for this "new" purpose. OK, it's more of an LOL than a giggle.

And, if you call that guy a shmuck, can I say, "Close, but not quite!" in response?

Posted Image
Never give up! Never surrender!

#51 asteriskerin

asteriskerin
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

How about "you might be a foodie if... you're rich" Because, what, poor people - middle class people, can't possibly appreciate good food?

As a poor person, I really take offense to this. ;)
pdx.eater.com.
check it.

#52 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:05 AM

...so, no, it's not homophobic, any more than me saying an omelette from Shari's makes a Cleveland Steamer tasty in comparison.

HAHAHAHA!!!

Oh lordy I have tears streaming down my face I am laughing so hard at that one...

Thank you pe, you always bring it, and I love ya for it!

#53 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:21 AM

re: homophobic
So much for emoticons denoting sarcasm... you know.. the rolleyes that I put next to that statement..?

As to the endless tea party hate... can't we just skip the foreplay and go straight to calling each other Nazis like reasonable people?

#54 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:27 AM

re: homophobic
So much for emoticons denoting sarcasm... you know.. the rolleyes that I put next to that statement..?

As to the endless tea party hate... can't we just skip the foreplay and go straight to calling each other Nazis like reasonable people?

I'm getting better, I got it, for once, QV! ;o)

No, hold off on the Nazi stuff for a while, I want to see what other great terms for odd sexual acts pe has in his arsenal.

Do you have a book of 'em near your computer or something or do you collect 'em as a hobby? I didn't have to look that one up, but I am wiling to do the work Google allows if need be....just sayin'.

#55 gturillo

gturillo
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:33 AM

I had to Google "Cleveland Steamer"... unfortunately there were pictures in the results! Oh, just, ewwww!!!

#56 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:34 AM

I had to Google "Cleveland Steamer"... unfortunately there were pictures in the results! Oh, just, ewwww!!!

hahaha. Internet!

#57 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:43 AM

If you are at work and would like to lose your job go ahead and try "lemon party" and "blue waffle"
:o

#58 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:56 AM

We are gonna need a "click here if you are over 18" button for this site pretty soon...

Knew blue waffle, didn't know lemon party (other than that weird Canadian political group - Parti Citron)...but still highly amused...

#59 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:09 AM

What I don't understand is who do they expect the readers of their food coverage to be?

If they willfully spite those who are interested in food, who is left?

If we who care about food consider these articles dull, but for their inflammatory baiting, who else is going to even care?

#60 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

So I just read them. They're really awful. Of course, the irony is that only a foodie would be able to write the articles to begin with, so it's a bit of self-loathing, I think.

But second, it's just bad. Bad, bad. Not just the poor attempts at humor that only a foodie would get to begin with, but just so wrong-headed it's, well, awful. I mean, the thing is pretty much everything people like myself joked about the Oregonian becoming. It's the worst kind of pandering.

I'm not as negative as some about Taco Time. It's a big step up from Taco Bell (or most any other fast food taco shop) and even a step up, in many ways, from Muchas Gracias / Javier's / Alberto's. (Depending on which one you go to. The ones in Washington were always really poorly managed.) But it's not good. And people don't really even go to a place like that because it's good. They go because it's cheap and convenient.

I've been to Shari's more times than I would like to admit. I have a friend who only eats breakfast foods and often likes to hang out and chat late at night. He's cheap and likes free coffee, no matter how bad. I got to where I just wouldn't order anything. The food was that bad. I'd maybe order a salad, but they couldn't even muster the quality of an Applebee's or TGI Friday's. Egg dishes were often inedible. Elmer's would have been a significantly better choice. But what's so "foodie" or snobbish about Fuller's, or J&M, or dozens of other little breakfast joints without the marketing power -- and a lot better food?

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's