Good Food Here - Belmont

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

Nacho B: Everything needed to make the griddled mortadella can be bought at Pastaworks on Hawthorne if you ever wanted to try and make one at home. mortadella, provalone piccante, mama lil's, a nice ciabatta roll or otherwise, and then however you want to dress it. It's a super-easy sandwich with a big pay-off, for sure. (This isn't to say that buying one from Lardo isn't great, also.)

Hola,

¡Qué buena idea!

You're absolutely right. Other than their proprietary mustard blend (which I can't quite pin down exactly), I could easily replicate that sandwich at home with one trip to Pastaworks. As an aside, Pastaworks also stocks jamón para los bocadillos if you're missing an authentic taste of Spain. Going the DIY route might not save me much money in the long run, but (once the ingredients are in my possession) I won't have to worry about inconsistent cart hours and the shouting of names.

There is a danger to stocking Mama Lil's peppers and provolone piccante at home. I could easily break my weekly food budget as I'd be likely to start incorporating those ingredients into almost everything I prepare. We'll see about that, but I think it's a risk worth taking.

¡Gracias por su sugestión!

#42 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:41 AM

I'd wager it's more like 3:1

If you're making one - very doubtful. For a crowd - definitely.

This. Also the fact I'd feel like a PITA asking them to cut me all the meat and cheese in one sandwich portions.

If I was making them for a party or group? Yeah, you could do it cheaper.

#43 cackalackshotchickenshack

cackalackshotchickenshack
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

Well, I'm guessing you got the leg quarter and a sweet tea (which we would have gladly given you a refill if you would have asked) the previous post you linked to was our first day open at 52nd and foster and it was a horrible day. Since then we have impoved leaps and bounds and worked really hard to make our business succeed while constantly growing. We just moved over to good food here, one week previous to your post, which is 4x busier than our last location. We are humans and make mistakes, you should address issues like this with the food cart owners or staff @ the time so they can improve on things or refund your money or cook you another as this is not an accurate description of our fried chicken because we apparently messed something up. Please drop in next time your in the pod and we will gladly give you another tea and a thin coated not over fried, properly marinated (draper valley) chicken leg w/ seasoned slaw and hold the pickles or your money back. ; )

AMEN. The chicken had a overcooked coating over 0.25 to 0.5 inch thick with a bizarre off taste (I suspect pickle juice), the chicken underneath was low grade (Foster Farms-esque), the slaw was tasteless - no seasoning or even pepper or salt, and my iced tea was almost all ice. At least it was only $7.50...

#44 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for popping up and commenting.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#45 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:55 PM

Well, I'm guessing you got the leg quarter and a sweet tea (which we would have gladly given you a refill if you would have asked) the previous post you linked to was our first day open at 52nd and foster and it was a horrible day. Since then we have impoved leaps and bounds and worked really hard to make our business succeed while constantly growing. We just moved over to good food here, one week previous to your post, which is 4x busier than our last location. We are humans and make mistakes, you should address issues like this with the food cart owners or staff @ the time so they can improve on things or refund your money or cook you another as this is not an accurate description of our fried chicken because we apparently messed something up. Please drop in next time your in the pod and we will gladly give you another tea and a thin coated not over fried, properly marinated (draper valley) chicken leg w/ seasoned slaw and hold the pickles or your money back. ; )

AMEN. The chicken had a overcooked coating over 0.25 to 0.5 inch thick with a bizarre off taste (I suspect pickle juice), the chicken underneath was low grade (Foster Farms-esque), the slaw was tasteless - no seasoning or even pepper or salt, and my iced tea was almost all ice. At least it was only $7.50...

I tried Cackalack's Friday night. I went to the pod hoping to try Lardo, got there about 8:30 and approached the cart, saw that the posted hours said they closed at 9. Walked up to the window and the guy inside said they had just closed. No explanation. I went back to double-check the sign, and sure enough, it said they were open 'til 9. (Went home later and brought up their website, which listed their hours as 12-8. The Good Food Here official website, on the other hand, lists their hours as 12-9. Figure it out, guys!)

Anyway, went over to Cackalack's instead and got a Blazer, which is a boneless fried chicken breast on a brioche bun from Fleur de Lis with homemade pickles, slaw, and garlic baby dill aioli. It's a huge sandwich for the money ($7 I believe), and quite spicy (though you can get it less so). Can't speak to the quality of the chicken earlier in the year, but what I had was good. Flavorful, crunchy crust on the chicken, and the meat was very juicy despite its whiteness (there's a joke to be made here but I'm not exactly sure what it is).

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#46 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:26 PM

Brought this up with my wife. Still haven't tried them myself because of the same sort of issues you mention, Adam, with hours. I imagine it will get worse during the winter, too.

Anyway, I have a feeling that if the breading is thick as people say that it will be good for chicken tenders/chicken-fried chicken, but bad for traditional fried chicken, ie, bone-in/skin-on.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#47 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:10 AM

Everything needed to make the griddled mortadella can be bought at Pastaworks on Hawthorne if you ever wanted to try and make one at home. mortadella, provalone piccante, mama lil's, a nice ciabatta roll or otherwise...

Hola,

This weekend I swung by Pastaworks on SE Hawthorne and kitted myself out to do a homemade version of Lardo's mortadella sandwich.

Mortadella (which was excellent) was $10/pound
Provolone Picante (also excellent) was $15/pound (with a generous slice for tasting prior to purchase)
16oz jar of Mama Lil's sweet/hot peppers $8.39
Loaf of Pearl Bakery ciabatta $3.75

They weren't busy (it was late Sunday afternoon). I had the mortadella sliced very thin, and got ~1/3# of it, and ~1/4# of the cheese. The staff seemed in no way put out with slicing out smaller weight portions. I walked out of there for slightly less than $20.

Was my version as good as Lardo's? No, no it wasn't (although to be fair that was only my first effort). It was very good, though, and I was able to eat it on Sunday night (when Lardo is closed...not only are they closed on Sundays, but all associated websites correctly indicate that they are closed on Sundays). Additionally, I still have the meat, the cheese, the bread and plenty of the peppers for further experimentation.

For the record, a mortadella/provolone picante/Mama Lil's hot+sweet pepper omlette makes for one *fine* breakfast.

¡Disfruten!

#48 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

Picked up and dropped off some movies at Movie Madness and decided to finally try the fried chicken at Cackalacks, which my wife is a huge fan of.

We got chicken tenders and a leg quarter. The tenders were excellent. They were very juicy with a crisp breading. The fried chicken leg/thigh was also quite good. It was juicy with a crisp breading. The breading stayed mostly crisp even on the trip home, due, I think, from being wrapped with the Texas toast, which soaked up moisture and grease. (One warning: they wrap up the chicken with pickle slices, which some may not like touching their chicken.)

I didn't have the problems with overly thick breading others had complained about. This was similar in thickness to Popeye's, maybe Church's -- thicker than places like Reel Em Inn and Chicken Little, but thinner than places like Country Cat and Podnah's. Way thinner than Screen Door. I didn't notice any flabby skin under the breading. The flavor may not be to some's liking. It's slightly hot from cayenne or whatever with a lot of pie spices as well. I thought the clove -- or perhaps it was nutmeg -- was a little strong in some bites. I'd rather those sorts of things be in the background.

But overall, quite good. Fries were decent, a bit overspiced and flabby, but worth eating still. Each of the orders was a very fair $6 with fries or slaw and Texas toast. At that price, they're very comparable to Popeye's, but better quality.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#49 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:55 PM

It's slightly hot from cayenne or whatever with a lot of pie spices as well. I thought the clove -- or perhaps it was nutmeg -- was a little strong in some bites. I'd rather those sorts of things be in the background.

Yeah, weird. I couldn't pin down exactly what's in there either. It didn't bother me, but it did not add to the overall tastiness either. I declare they make a damned decent spicy chicken sandwich.

#50 HappyHourHero

HappyHourHero
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

Aybla Google offer folks.

https://www.google.com/offers/home?x=MQAAAHm5FvRv56_n_VWbTzakcPWnSRBf_Vv18utOfCg0zaxmJfhMPZ1c62D86Nbk9C5e3tLVq6JzR-7SMHAvMFroBOM#!details/dcdb08976299ecb0/2JTBWIW87WKF9F6L

#51 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:22 PM

Anyone know why Cackalack's was closed early tonight? I walked to the pod from my apartment to get some chicken, but all the carts were closed by the time I got there around 8pm or so. I know most of the carts at this pod close at 8, but Cackalack's website says they're open until 9 tonight, and there's nothing on their Twitter about them closing early.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#52 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:11 PM

Anyone know why Cackalack's was closed early tonight? I walked to the pod from my apartment to get some chicken, but all the carts were closed by the time I got there around 8pm or so. I know most of the carts at this pod close at 8, but Cackalack's website says they're open until 9 tonight, and there's nothing on their Twitter about them closing early.

My experience with carts in general is when the mercury dips to frickin' cold or hits sweaty hot, all bets are off with keeping to posted business hours. Those tin cans are not hospitalble - a tweet would be nice but I totally understand why they're not open for business.

#53 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:food & beer

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:38 AM

i remember the same nonsense happening over there last fall/winter too.
Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin

#54 Catastrophysicist

Catastrophysicist
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

I guess this answers your question about Cackalack's: http://portland.crai...2736215238.html

I suppose they just aren't motivated to keep hours any more. . .

#55 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:19 PM

I guess this answers your question about Cackalack's: http://portland.crai...2736215238.html

I suppose they just aren't motivated to keep hours any more. . .

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. They were a great spot in the neighborhood.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#56 austinhaas

austinhaas
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:38 AM

According to their twitter feed, someone else is taking over Cackalack's cart in January and making the same chicken. Hopefully, they'll keep regular hours, or at least communicate them somewhere.

I didn't walk all the way around the pod, but I'd say that around half the carts were open yesterday (Thurs) at 5pm.

#57 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:12 PM

I hope Cackalack's maintains the quality. I've been a couple times since they opened and really like their chicken.

As for the cart hours - It is hard during the winter hours though to know if things will be open. People in the area just don't seem to be willing to head to the covered, heated, cart area when the weather is bad....
Last year the carts put a sign down by Peacock Lane during the Christmas lights, to try and draw those crowds, but I don't remember seeing any signs this year - seems like there would be an opportunity there.
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#58 JayinPortland

JayinPortland
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:02 PM

I hope Cackalack's maintains the quality. I've been a couple times since they opened and really like their chicken.

As for the cart hours - It is hard during the winter hours though to know if things will be open. People in the area just don't seem to be willing to head to the covered, heated, cart area when the weather is bad....
Last year the carts put a sign down by Peacock Lane during the Christmas lights, to try and draw those crowds, but I don't remember seeing any signs this year - seems like there would be an opportunity there.

I made a couple of evening Aybla runs during the lights, I think maybe on a Wednesday and a Saturday, and the pod was easily two to three times as busy as usual on both those days. But yeah, I didn't see any signs either and I walked in from the bus stop(s) on Chavez each time.