Good Food Here - Belmont

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 kjcanfield

kjcanfield
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:55 AM

Has anyone been here yet? Drove by and there are some carts up and running, but can't seem to find anything to tell me what carts are there? A cart pod close to my house is awesome!

#2 aplyley

aplyley
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

Has anyone been here yet? Drove by and there are some carts up and running, but can't seem to find anything to tell me what carts are there? A cart pod close to my house is awesome!

I stopped by last Friday and saw Creme de la Creme (French food in a school bus that used to be at 34th/Hawthorne in the alley by House of Vintage), Rockabillies (sandwiches and fried cheese curds--moved from downtown), and Namu (Korean/Hawaiian plate lunch, also has a cart at 34th/Hawthorne). I've eaten at Namu on Hawthorne a half dozen times and the chicken, kalbi, peanut sauce rice, and veg sides are pretty good. Pulled pork was soupy and bland the one time I tried it.

Oh, and Las Loncherias taco truck from 34th/Belmont alley by Khun Pic also moved. The chicken burrito at Las Loncherias took a long time and was pretty uninspired, but as they're now the closest taco truck to my house, I'll try them again.

There were a few others in the pod that I don't remember or didn't recognize. I found this Yelp post that fills in a few of those: http://www.yelp.com/...rt-pod-portland

#3 kjcanfield

kjcanfield
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:53 PM

Thanks! I'm gonna have to check it out!

#4 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:17 PM

I ate at Las Loncherias last week. I got two tacos, one carne asada, one pollo. The carne asada was very good, a nice bit of char, and just a ton of meat. Actually, both tacos were a little overfilled with meat. The chicken was okay, white meat and not dried out. I wasn't thrilled about the options there -- there's a lot of nothing, and the tortas' ingredients just seem wrong to me.

But on a Sunday night, it was one of two places open. (The other was a place with three things on the menu where the proprietor appeared to be building a shelter sisyphus-stylee -- my friend in the neighborhood said it never appears to get any more done).

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:49 PM

http://wweek.com/editorial/3646/14530/

The food-cart invasion continues with yet another installment: a refurbished parking lot next to Movie Madness on Southeast Belmont Street dubbed Good Food Here. All the folks manning their mobile empires here are infectiously enthusiastic, not only about their products but also the community that has popped up around them. Like an old European market district, it’s not uncommon to see one cart owner exchanging food with another, or chatting each other up. This international roster of carts is in full swing, so we decided to give the tires the proverbial kicking.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#6 pyrofemme

pyrofemme
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:21 PM

Creme de la Creme has a fantastic french dip with brie on a soft ciabatta roll. The au jus tastes like french onion soup. I also tried their beet salad and it was tasty but I would have enjoyed it more if the beets weren't so mild. I like my beets a little earthier.

#7 clove2873

clove2873
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:49 PM

Namu (Korean/Hawaiian plate lunch, also has a cart at 34th/Hawthorne). I've eaten at Namu on Hawthorne a half dozen times and the chicken, kalbi, peanut sauce rice, and veg sides are pretty good. Pulled pork was soupy and bland the one time I tried it.

Namu had another cart up at PSU today. I had the pulled pork sandwich. Absolutely doused in pork juice. So much juice present that it actually seeped through the tinfoil in my box. It was a different kind of pulled pork than I had ever had. The meat was so soft, borderline mushy. Posted Image It had to have been slow cooked foreverrrrrrrr?! How long does it take for pork get that soft?
Anyways, more on the sandwich: It was on a pretty large bun. Bbq sauce on top, and their honey-horseradish sauce on bottom. I kinda liked the sweet horseradish sauce. If I were to order the sandwich again, I'd pay up for extra sauce. It had some cabbage in their too.
I liked the sandwich, and at only $5 bucks it's a steal for real. Good sides too. Sesame spinach namul, kimchi (supposedly a korean grandfather's recipe according to the internet) and a sweet/vinegary cucumber salad. Sides @ a buck each, individually. Photos of my sandwich!

#8 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:28 PM

I'm so excited - I'm moving to within two blocks from here.
Had lunch AND dinner at the carts yesterday.
Lunch was French Onion Soup and a Cucumber/brie/butter on Baguette at Creme de la Creme. Soup was nice and hot, pretty flavorful, but I thought the baguette could have been a bit chewier.
Dinner was the infamous Violetta burger and truffle fries.

Can't wait to try Lucille's Balls (just had Mobster Meatballs last week) and try Namu too!
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#9 clove2873

clove2873
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:45 PM

Dinner was the infamous Violetta burger and truffle fries.

Have you been to Little Big Burger yet? What's your take on Violetta vs LBB truffle fries?! (We can't really rcompare the two burgers -- it's like apples to oranges! hahah)

#10 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:13 PM

http://www.portlandm...tober-20-lardo/

If you’re a vegetarian with a hankering to glut your hunger at the quickly-expanding Good Food Here pod at 43rd and Belmont, Lardo is not the cart for you. Even in the one item you’d think you could eat—the Crispy Eggplant Sandwich with herb ricotta, arugula, and roasted tomato sauce—the succulent slices of nightshade berry are deep-fried in lard. (Eggplant is actually a berry in the nightshade family—don’t you feel smarter?)

But if you are a carnivore or the kind of veg-head who secretly digs the pig, you’ll be in hog heaven.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#11 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

Lucille's Balls has closed. From FoodCartsPortland via FB:

Sad news for meatball lovers - Lucille's Balls has decided to close. The cart is for sale.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#12 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:40 AM

Stopped here after doing a few things in the area and hit up 3 spots for family food.

Got the pork belly sandwich from Lardo, the burger w/ cheese and bacon from Violetta (w/ fries), and the philly and garlic fries from the cart who's name I can't remember.

Split it all up for the family, but all was good to very good. Burger had nice flavor to the meat, and I liked it all except the bun really, but it didn't hurt it overall. The pork belly sandwich was a guilty pleasure, the egg helped balance the flavor of the pork and the greens were a nice touch.. enjoyed it. Philly was pretty standard and tasty, not transcendent, not as good as Grant's, but very tasty none the less. I like the garlic fries from the Philly place much more-so than the Violetta fries which weren't all that crispy and had that oily burnt potato taste.. the garlic fries were crisp and nice.

Jealous of this pod, so much good stuff in one spot.

#13 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:09 AM

Got a couple of sandwiches from Lardo Saturday to share with Mr. friedalighthouse. The mortadella was wonderful, as usual. The new revelation was the broccoli rabe sandwich--the best vegetarian sandwich I've ever had. Looked like sauteed broccoli rabe stalks and leaves, on their crunchy-crust roll, with lots of those Mama Lil peppers. A nice break from meat for those like us with cholesterol numbers creeping upwards!

#14 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

Here's a guide to Good Food Here from Portland Monthly:

http://www.portlandm...good-food-here/

It only covers a few carts in the pod, so I have no idea why they called it a guide...it should be called "Four things Karen Brooks ate at this pod and liked."

And to leave out EuroTrash when Charles is dishing out some tasty stuff and has been there since the pod opened, or Violetta's Rollin' Etta, or not to point out how great Aybla's stuff is...just seems really wrong to me.

#15 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:58 PM

Here's a guide to Good Food Here from Portland Monthly:

http://www.portlandm...good-food-here/

It only covers a few carts in the pod, so I have no idea why they called it a guide...it should be called "Four things Karen Brooks ate at this pod and liked."

And to leave out EuroTrash when Charles is dishing out some tasty stuff and has been there since the pod opened, or Violetta's Rollin' Etta, or not to point out how great Aybla's stuff is...just seems really wrong to me.

most likely the 4 she was told to go to & tried only them.

"it should be called "Four things Karen Brooks ate at this pod and liked." - Ha!

#16 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:07 AM

Onions caramelised to order??
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#17 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:45 PM

One of the carts in the GFH pod is Kitchen Dances. They are a vegan cart run by Piper Dixon (who co-opened Proper Eats). They have a few raw selections. We actually tried the beet ravioli at the cart crawl here in January, here is Catering Beyond Border's pic of it:

http://www.facebook....40951025&type=1

The other day Sue had a raw wrap, and I had a roasted veggie wrap. The raw wrap is in a collard green leaf (which seems to be what most raw wraps come wrapped in around town) and has raw veggies and a salad on the side. This is mostly a pic of the salad with the wrap next to it:

Posted Image

This is my roasted veggie wrap:

Posted Image

It was really mostly beets and quinoa with a little cooked greens. It also came with a salad in the side. They were around $7-9 or so. They were beautiful, really colorful, great fresh organic veggies...but they didn't taste like anything. There was little to no seasoning at all on any of it, for starters, but there weren't any herbs or other flavors to complement the veggies.

Sue's raw wrap was a bit better because she had some basil nut pesto on it, that had garlic and other flavors in it and that helped it a lot. Sue also got a piece of raw hazelnut cocoa pie to go, and when we tried it the next day, we weren't impressed. It could have been fresher, and, frankly, it could have tasted better.

Piper is awesome, though. Super nice and obviously really into his food and cart, he is putting out some beautiful, healthy food (and some stuff like a vegan corndog! ;o) I just wish there was more flavor coaxed out of the veggies he is working with...

#18 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 22 May 2011 - 04:12 PM

I have to second Kitchen Dances. Love Piper and am always surprised how frequently I end up getting dishes at his cart A) because the choices and descriptions sound so good and B ) the food is always great. Piper is doing a great job of making vegan interesting, approachable and flavorful for us skeptics.
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#19 Catastrophysicist

Catastrophysicist
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:25 PM

Some beautiful afternoon weather this past thursday, so we swung by Good Food Here and ordered a few dishes for a late lunch:

Posted Image

The pulled pork plate from NAMU was very flavorful, and a decent portion of food for, I think 8 dollars. We liked this a lot and would definitely order from them again.

Posted Image

The vegan nachos from Kitchen Dances were the highlight of these three dishes, IMO. I have to strongly disagree with Jill-O and her comment above about the lack of flavor, albeit this is a different item than the ones in her description. These were the best nachos I've ordered since the pulled pork ones we had in some random bar in Starkville Mississippi. Yeah, it's been a while. Nachos are usually pretty poor. We got these for a 'side' in lieu of french fries, or whatever, and it was well worth it.

Posted Image

This is the Prawn Sandwich from Eurotrash. The flavors and preparation of the shrimp were good, but I have to deduct points b/c it was kind of a burden to eat as a sandwich. The bun split on the bottom side, almost immediately, and we then had to eat it with a fork and knife. Eh, no biggie, but I just prefer when sandwiches hold together.

#20 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:23 PM

Good Food Here has a new car from the Green Castle pod, Cackalacks, as well Fifty Licks as a somewhat recent addition.

I really wish I had read this post from the Green Castle thread before I tried the fried chicken at Cackalacks:

- Cackalack's Hot Chicken Shack: ate here yesterday since it just opened. Fried chicken of your desired hotness & pickles on Texas toast. Choice of a little cup of slaw or potato salad. The chicken was like something that would come out of my own kitchen if I were horrifically drunk and tried to fry it in a pan. Maybe worse. Half burnt, armor-like coating about half an inch thick. Spent the rest of the day regretting "supporting local business" if you get my drift.

AMEN. The chicken had a overcooked coating over 0.25 to 0.5 inch thick with a bizarre off taste (I suspect pickle juice), the chicken underneath was low grade (Foster Farms-esque), the slaw was tasteless - no seasoning or even pepper or salt, and my iced tea was almost all ice. At least it was only $7.50...

Once I threw it away almost uneaten (my poultry-loving but poultry-allergic dog was heartbroken he didn't get it), I had a double burger from Lardo which was excellent! It was hard to believe how well the brioche bun held up to the juices and cheese and unlike other times I've had pork belly on a burger, you could easily bite through it.

I tried the ice cream at Fifty Licks - what a RIP OFF! The Tahitan Vanilla Bean lacked vanilla flavor despite lots of specks of vanilla bean, had an odd chewy texture, and it was FULL of ice crystals. WHY is this crap $6 and available at New Seasons when Cool Moon is in this town??? I also tried the maple bacon flavor (all overwhelming maple, no bacon despite gets a disgustingly slimy cold chunk in the sample) and the caramelized apple (think very fake caramel apple with an overwhelming green apple flavor). $6 if you want the waffle cone - I've never paid more than $5 for ice cream on a waffle cone that is miles better at Cool Moon. After three bites, I dumped the ice cream out and just ate the waffle cone.