• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

#2 Bread & Buttah

Bread & Buttah
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

I've never had what I could call out and out bad service at Jam. Semi-indifferent yes, but 98% of the time it's just fine. One thing you didn't mention was that Jam has THE BEST hashbrowns ever. Seriously, if you want an amazing stick-to-yer-ribs breakfast try Ty's Big Breakgast. 2 eggs any style on an english muffin smothered in vegetarian sausage gravy with hashbrowns. I get cravings. My only complaint and it's a minor one, is that I'm not crazy about their coffee.

#3 vj

vj
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:29 PM

Welcome, Bread & Buttah!

I like Jam a quite a bit. They're very flexible for vegans, but still do meat and dairy just fine.

#4 EatinMachine

EatinMachine
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

I've never had what I could call out and out bad service at Jam. Semi-indifferent yes, but 98% of the time it's just fine. One thing you didn't mention was that Jam has THE BEST hashbrowns ever. Seriously, if you want an amazing stick-to-yer-ribs breakfast try Ty's Big Breakgast. 2 eggs any style on an english muffin smothered in vegetarian sausage gravy with hashbrowns. I get cravings. My only complaint and it's a minor one, is that I'm not crazy about their coffee.

Couldn't agree more about the Ty's. That's my go to at Jam. But I disagree about the coffee. It's strong and hot, just the way I like it. I live about 5 blocks from here and for the longest time you could show up on a weekend at 10 and sit right down. No more. If you're not sitting by 8:30, you'll be waiting. I hate to wait for breakfast.

#5 anotherdavid

anotherdavid
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

Where on Hawthorne?

#6 drew

drew
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:31 PM

Jam on Hawthorne
2239 Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard
Portland, OR 97214-3920
(503) 234-4790

#7 apj

apj
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:02 PM

Went here today for brunch, and I must say... not impressed. I ordered corned beef hash with eggs over medium. When I first received my plate there was a black hair on the eggs, something that seemed hard to miss by the waiter. I first tried the corned beef, which admittedly, was very tasty and tender. There were a few pieces of bell pepper mixed in (few being the operative word here) with a large portion of hash browns. The potatoes themselves were ok, but probably came out of a bag pre-shredded. The whole plate was a bit dry, and although I wanted some more sauce, the waiter didn't come to check up on us so I ate it without. Of course some nice runny egg would soften it up a bit, but alas my OM eggs came to the table over hard (not broken, but completely cooked through.. something an experienced breakfast cook shouldn't have missed). Overall a disappointing experience from my end.
My dining partner, on the other hand, very much enjoyed her selection of various sides, stating that the ricotta lemon pancake with blueberry compote was the best she had had in a great while.

We went while the kitchen was pretty busy, so I'm considering giving them another chance, but I'm sure there are better breakfast options nearby.

#8 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:food & beer

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

I've been to Jam 2x since they opened up the 'Big Jam' next door.

Both times, the waiters seemed like they had never been waiters before.

On visit #1, the waiter came to check on the table, and actually gave my shoulder some kind of bro-squeeze, which was a complete violation of waiter/customer boundaries.

Both times, I have had to get my own coffee refills once seated from the server station.

I probably will not be returning to Jam.
Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin