Kim Jong Grillin

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HappyHourHero

HappyHourHero
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

I just drove by the pod at 48th and Division and saw this. Its obviously some sort of Korean BBQ situation. I will be reporting back with details in the near future...

#2 HappyHourHero

HappyHourHero
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:10 AM

I'll update this. I got the $10 combo meal. It was kind of disappointing. It seemed pretty light and the meat was not very impressive. That said, they had some interesting items on the menu and I would consider going back again. But, with Leroys Familiar Vittles right behind it, I may have a hard time returning.

#3 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:57 AM

Hola,

I ate here this week, and I really enjoyed my meal. I had the "BiBim Box", and it was excellent. Bi Bim Bap is my favorite Korean dish, and this version was quite satisfying.

All of the components tasted fresh and delicious, and the spicy red sauce (gochujang) was awesome. It was $8. The egg was cooked a bit more than I prefer, but that's probably because it's served in a take-out box instead of a hot insulating bowl. I am crazy about how the egg yolk runs down into the Bi Bim Bap and brings it all together when everything is mixed up with the spicy red sauce, it's my favorite part. Even so, their version was still quite tasty. I took it home to eat, so maybe the egg yolk cooked a bit while in transit. Next time I'll ask that the egg be a bit more sunny side.

They also have Korean BBQ (beef/short ribs/pork/chicken), a sandwich which sounds like a Bánh mi with Korean BBQ filling, and a Korean hot dog, as well as lettuce wraps and onigiri.

One menu item specifically made me think of this forum, as I suspect some of you may be interested in this. They team up with Leroy's BBQ (their cart-pod neighbor) for a "Korean Style Smoked Duck served with sunflower sprouts, butter lettuce and Hoisin lime sauce (when available)". I asked about that, and they say they typically do it on Saturdays, but recommended calling to confirm.

In fact, they strongly recommend calling ahead of time for any order. They cook their orders per order, and sometimes run out of food and close early. Their hours are (ostensibly)
Tue-Fri noon-7pm / Sat 1pm-8pm / closed Sun-Mon
503-926-2868

¡Disfruten!

#4 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:58 PM

So there was a fire and the cart closed down...and then the owner was invited to be on an episode of Chopped (which Nong, of Nong's Khao Man Gai won - yay Nong!).  And it (and the celebrity chefs and host on Chopped) made him realize that he was really talented and he loved cooking and he missed it...and since folks were still asking him when he was gonna resurrect his cart, and he knew he had a few months before that episode would air...and the phoenix rose from the ashes...

Yeah, yeah, yeah...so KJG is open again!  The cart is approximately across the street from Woodsman Tavern on SE Division in the 40s.

I had a Bulgogi Bibim Box...it was $10 and so freaking good I could not stop eating it. It was more food than I needed (or thought I wanted) but I could not stop. COULD. NOT. STOP. TOO. GOOD.

I was so glad I brought it home. Well, honestly, there's really no place to eat it there, it's not a pod or anything...this is take away food. But still, I live about 2.5 miles away and it was still hot (and the egg yolk unbroken) when I got it home. I was glad I brought it home because I was moaning as I ate it...yep, that good.

I was home alone so I had to FB the experience and here's the pic: http://tinyurl.com/myb93kc

I wish he had a brick and mortar place, this is really delicious stuff.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:10 PM

They came close to opening a brick and mortar, but the space didn't work out. They were going to do the cooking outside to avoid having a full kitchen.  I was glad to see they came back as well, though I haven't been able to stop by since they reopened. 

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's