No replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,345 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

Posted Image

Saw this place a while back, probably not long after it opened. It's just north of Ocean City between Powell and Division on 82nd. They advertise their lottery games and I was pretty sure they didn't make their own bread, so I never gave it a try. However, I was on my way to Food4Less the other night around 11:45pm and noticed it was still open, so I decided to check it out.

Posted Image

Menu is short. They have sandwiches filled with sardines, meatballs, pork loaf, BBQ pork, and the dac biet (combo). I think each is only $2.50. They also sell beer and sodas.

Posted Image

I got the dac biet with sriracha added. Bread and meats were warmed in the toaster oven. The guy working, who was really nice and even made me a sandwich although he had put most of the ingredients away already, couldn't remember where they got the bread. It reminded me of Best Baguette's bread with a crackly, but soft, crust. Pickled veggies seemed a little past their prime, but it was the end of the night. Everything else was fresh. Commercial pate came through well and a little bit of maggi added some savoriness.

Great banh mi? No. Grateful that it's open until midnight? Hell, yeah. It's a solid sandwich and I've often wished there was a late night banh mi shop. I will certainly return here many times. Probably more than places like Best Baguette, An Xuyen, and Binh Minh, just because the competition is slim late night and it's often when I crave a sandwich.

Cuu Long Vietnamese Sandwiches
2922 SE 82nd Ave, Suite 103
Portland, OR 97266

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's