169 replies to this topic

#1 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:56 AM

Ate-Oh-Ate
2452 East Burnside St.

From Ben Dyer's email:

There have been a number of rumors floating around regarding a new Hawaiian restaurant (mostly floated by me). I wanted to take a second to put a few of these rumors to rest. First - yes, it's true we will be opening a Hawaiian plate lunch restaurant. Yes, it's true, we've signed a lease on a location and are finalizing floor plans so we can begin construction. Yes, we have a name picked out. No, I'm not going to tell you what it is. Maybe next week. It's going to take us a few months to do all the work and open - we're hoping for August. I think our menu is pretty much done - we just need to finalize a few recipes, tweak a few ideas, but we should be there pretty soon. Here's the FAQ - yes, we will have Spam (Musubi, of course); yes, we will have Loco Moco; and Shave Ice (not crushed ice - Shave Ice). That's it for now, that should give you something to mull over. Oh, yeah - East Side!

Okay, I just got off the phone with Jason. We're going to tell you. The name? (Ate-Oh-Ate). Not sure why? Call someone in Hawaii. And the address? 2452 East Burnside St. That's right, seven blocks down the street from Laurelhurst Market. Sixteen blocks up from Simpatica. So there you have it. I'm suuuper excited. Hopefully a lot of you are too.

#2 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:21 AM

808 is the area code for Hawaii.

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,345 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:16 AM

I'll be interested to find out how they'll be doing their kalua pig and laulau, assuming they have both. And I'll especially be interested in what fish they'll be offering. One of the best things about plate lunch is that you can get some damn good fish, ono (sea bass), mahi mahi, and the like. I didn't even know I liked fish until I went to Hawaii and had something fresh that wasn't related to a salmon or trout. It's the area of plate lunch that all the other places in town most suffer, imo. Macaroni salad, white rice, chicken katsu, teriyaki beef, loco moco, etc, isn't that hard to make pretty good, but these others will be the test for me.

I also wonder if they'll be playing with the dishes much or just focusing on quality ingredients and technique with traditional dishes.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#4 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:32 AM

I'd be interested in saimin.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#5 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:06 AM

I'll be interested to find out how they'll be doing their kalua pig

That will be interesting to see. They've been known to spit roast whole animals on the sidewalk outside of Simpatica. But that doesn't mean they'll be digging a pit someplace to roast pigs. Maybe they'll do it in a huge Caja China or something similar. I agree on the fish in Hawaii. So good.

#6 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:07 AM

I'm interested in whether they're going to make their own Spam, or take it straight from the can (a revolting thought, at best).
signature

#7 jrj

jrj
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:02 AM

I'm interested in whether they're going to make their own Spam, or take it straight from the can (a revolting thought, at best).

Not actually sure which thought you're considering revolting, but to me, revolting would be a Hawaiian place using anything other than actual canned Spam.

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,345 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:11 AM

I think Spam is fine. However, I'd be happy to see them do a housemade pork and ham terrine, which is basically what Spam is. It wouldn't be the same, but it'd be better.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#9 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

I think Spam is fine. However, I'd be happy to see them do a housemade pork and ham terrine, which is basically what Spam is. It wouldn't be the same, but it'd be better.

You couldn't call it Spam Musabi either.

#10 jrj

jrj
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:45 AM

Yeah, I was voting for tradition over (potentially) quality.

#11 jrj

jrj
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:49 AM

You couldn't call it Spam Musabi either.

Housemade Ham and Pork Terrine Musubi.

Better... Housemade Ham and Carlton Farms Pork Terrine Musubi. $18.

#12 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,345 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

You could do: Housemade "Spam" Musubi. And seriously, it would taste better, it just wouldn't taste "the same", but in truth, every recreation of a dish is never going to taste "the same". I'm sure I liked my mom's meatloaf when I was a kid, but now that I have better taste, I'd prefer to have one that matches my palate now rather than my palate as a 10 year old.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#13 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:54 PM

You think Spam is fine? It's cat food. The only circumstance in which it is somewhat acceptable is camping out, where really anything tastes okay. But served in a restaurant? Really? C'mon, you're just trying to be proletariat.

If you like Spam, I've got some Vienna Sausages I wanna sell you. :wacko:
signature

#14 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

I have to agree - spam musubi should not be tampered with by trying to make a spam substitute. Even the spam with less salt doesn't taste right. But it might be interesting to do a side by side comparison. I can't even imagine how you could make Spam at home as it's such a creature of industrial meat processing.

What I dream of having in Portland are malasadas, real saimin, Hawaiian style breakfast with papaya and mahi-mahi, real lomi lomi salmon, homemade taro chips, sweet bread (and despite An Xuyen's best attempts, their version is not very good), bentos....

I lived on the big island for two years and STILL miss the food.

#15 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:40 PM

You think Spam is fine? It's cat food. The only circumstance in which it is somewhat acceptable is camping out, where really anything tastes okay. But served in a restaurant? Really? C'mon, you're just trying to be proletariat.

If you like Spam, I've got some Vienna Sausages I wanna sell you. :wacko:

It's a tradition, and if someone wants spam musabi, then give to them. It's a culture thing, Hawaiians eat a lot of spam. You don't like it, but shitting on what I'd consider an ethnic food seems a little lame.

#16 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

Are you kidding? It's not an ethnic food. It was introduced by Hormel to the Naval bases in Hawaii for the GI's during the Allied occupation in WWII. It's about the whitest food ever manufactured!

My in-laws have a tradition in Iowa called Cookie Salad. Cookies, fruit cocktail, Cool Whip. No more ethnic than Spam. And equally horrible.

I know Spam is kitschy and fun. But it still tastes like cat food. Shitting on it would only improve it.
signature

#17 Anjoli

Anjoli
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:26 PM

Are you kidding? It's not an ethnic food. It was introduced by Hormel to the Naval bases in Hawaii for the GI's during the Allied occupation in WWII. It's about the whitest food ever manufactured!

My in-laws have a tradition in Iowa called Cookie Salad. Cookies, fruit cocktail, Cool Whip. No more ethnic than Spam. And equally horrible.

I know Spam is kitschy and fun. But it still tastes like cat food. Shitting on it would only improve it.

I find myself wondering why or how you know what cat food tastes like, Ken.

#18 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:31 PM

Sometimes I wish there wasn't a quote feature automatically wrapped up with reply.

Best regards,

Amanda

#19 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:44 PM

"Regarding Spam, is it true, as travel writer Paul Theroux claims, that the people of the South Pacific love their Spam because it tastes so much like … people?"

http://www.straightd...-really-in-spam

Of course it's not true, but when has truth mattered on the web?

I can't eat Spam, as my midwestern mother used to grind it up with peppers and onions, roll it in uncooked rice, and fry it in a skillet. She called the dish porcupine balls, and I still wake up in a cold sweat when I dream of it.

#20 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:05 PM

I find myself wondering why or how you know what cat food tastes like, Ken.

Just being figurative. But your question really should be how I know what Spam tastes like! Certainly the worse of the two.
signature