COUNTER CULTURE 2010: A Celebration of Urban Street Food & International Wines

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:22 AM

http://www.anneamie.com/node/376

To kick-off the festivities at the International Pinot Noir Celebration we have made it and annual tradition to host a spectacular winemaker’s dinner. This year, we are hosting an epic food and wine event! Incredible street food from some of the best places in Portland will be paired with world-class Pinot noir from Oregon, California, Italy, Canada and New Zealand's best producers.

FOOD:

Biwa, Laurelhurst Market, Lovely's 5050, Olympic Provisions, ¿Por Qué No?, Ping, Swampshack, Violetta, and a special collaboration from Brian Spangler (Apizza Scholls) & Rodney Muirhead (Podnah's Pit).

WINE:

Anne Amie Vineyards, Boedecker Cellars, Calera Wine Co., Flowers Winery, Navarro Vineyards, Patton Valley Vineyards, Raptor Ridge Winery, Roots Wine Co., Soter Vineyards, Talley Vineyards, J. Hofstätter, Pegasus Bay Vineyards, and Tawse Vineyards.

4 different ticket options are available beginning May 1st:

1-COUNTER CULTURE ♥'s IPNC
Ticket includes admission to COUNTER CULTURE 2010 & Passport to Pinot at the International Pinot Noir Celebration. 2 events for only $175!

2-COUNTER CULTURE + Transportation from Downtown Portland
Ticket includes admission to COUNTER CULTURE 2010 and roundtrip transportation with Double Decker PDX. Admission and safe & convenient transportation for only $75 per person.

3-COUNTER CULTURE + Transportation from Lake Oswego

Ticket includes admission to COUNTER CULTURE 2010 and roundtrip transportation with VIP PDX. Admission and safe & convenient transportation for only $75 per person.

4-COUNTER CULTURE 2010

Just the ticket = all the goodness that is COUNTER CULTURE 2010.

6580 NE Mineral Springs Road, Carlton, OR 97111
Never give up! Never surrender!

#2 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:58 PM

OK folks, this is coming up in a few weeks! Tickets with round trip transport (to/from downtown or Lake Oswego) are still available for $75, though single event only tickets are sold out (as per the website):

I hope to see some of you there, but if you can't make it, I will be there with my camera and notepad and I will post pics and my take on it. Sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun!

#3 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:19 PM

OK folks, this is coming up in a few weeks! Tickets with round trip transport (to/from downtown or Lake Oswego) are still available for $75, though single event only tickets are sold out (as per the website):

I hope to see some of you there, but if you can't make it, I will be there with my camera and notepad and I will post pics and my take on it. Sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun!

$75 with transportation is a great deal. I'd love to go but I don't know that I can do it on a school night.

#4 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:32 PM

WIN FREE TICKETS!!

Tasting Table is giving away a pair of tickets to Anne Amie Vineyard's Counter Culture Street Food & Wine Celebration. For your chance to win a pair of tickets, send an e-mail to welovepinot@tastingtable.com and name your favorite bottle of Pinot Noir. Winners will be randomly selected from all valid entries on or around 7/15/2010 and contacted via email.

#5 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:24 PM

WOW! Seriously, wow, what a great event, extremely well-run, great food, plenty of wine, and lots of fun. Having a gorgeous setting really doesn't hurt, and Anne Amie has one of the most beautiful properties in the valley, and no, I am not exaggerating, it is beautiful:

This is the tasting room building with my back at the vines shooting up hill. The event was set up to the right, the vine-covered gazebo on the right housed the DJ.

Posted Image

Close up of DJ set-up:

Posted Image

And the view with your back to the event - sun, sky, hills, vines...a perfect evening for an outdoor event:

Posted Image

There were plenty of tables and seating (with that great view):

Posted Image

They even had big hammocks (and more tables)!

Posted Image

#6 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:52 PM

It was a veritable Who's Who of Portland's best chefs, cooks, and restaurateurs.

Brian Spangler of Apizza Scholls and Rodney Muirhead of Podnah's Pit made some Texas jalapeno hotlinks for the event. It was billed as: "A Special BBQ Collaboration!" Here they are collaborating over some Shiner tall boys (the smoker is in back to the right):

Posted Image

Here's a peek into the firebox:

Posted Image

Rodney showing off his links in the smoker:

Posted Image

Pile o' links in pan:

Posted Image

Bunned wonders!

Posted Image

And Rodney has bottled and is selling his fabulous mustard sauce - a little spicy, a little sweet, a lot delicious:

Posted Image

Talkin' 'bout a lot of delicious (but NOT for sale! ;o):

Posted Image

Heh, Kim, you lucky woman!

Seriously, though, the links were delicious, not too spicy or hot for me (a heat wimp who is trying her best to push the envelope), but with great flavor and texture and snap. And that mustard sauce was a great condiment, as was the pickled onions, on those links.

The best part? Those links will be available at Rodney's new Podnah's location when he opens!! So look forward to that!

#7 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

Also there was Andy Ricker with his Ping folks, offering khao kha muu (stewed pork knuckle with jasmine rice and Chinese tea egg).

Posted Image

I like going to these events early, because I can chat with the folks cooking before guests arrive (and get pics of platters with food as opposed to crumbs ;o). And my excitement for the food often creates opportunities where they open pots and pull things out. Andy had one of the most photogenic stands there last night. Everything was just so beautiful - both the components and the finished product. Here are too many pics:

Wanna see the stewed pork knuckle? Sure, Brian, thank you so much!

Posted Image

Gorgeous, unctuous, stewed pork knuckles - sorry you can't have the heady aroma of 5 spice steaming around you as I did, that's a medium yet-to-be-invented:

Posted Image

Some knuckle with some tangy mustard greens:

Posted Image

Just the greens:

Posted Image

Chinese tea eggs:

Posted Image

And here's the finished product with a cilantro garnish (and yes, I asked for one to be made without the cilantro for me and they were really sweet about it):

Posted Image

#8 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

Violetta sent Etta to Anne Amie to serve white truffle fries with an herby aioli.

Here's Etta after coming up the big hill and swinging around back, an impressive feat for that big momma of a truck:

Posted Image

Laugh all you want, but while everyone else was sitting in traffic on 99, they were getting their oil up to temp!

Some crafty maneuvering and they were all in place and ready for biz:

Posted Image

The tasty spuds were Oregon kennebecs:

Posted Image

They paired each type of street food with one of the wines that were being poured. The pairing for this was Anne Amie's own Prisme' (pic of the label in the Cochon 555 thread), a 2007 white made from pinot noir (a blanc de noir, but not a sparkling wine), being offered for the first time this year. I really like the wine, and while I am not a fan of whites, I am a huge fan of sparkling wines and do like blanc de noir spaklers, so I think that is why I really like this one. Search it out, it is different and local and well made.

And here's a pic of Etta's fries:

Posted Image

#9 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:44 PM

The Swamp Shack was there with some fried crawfish pies. The only real street food vendor represented, they are a cart in the pod at SW 5th and Oak. Trey Corkern's pies have been featured in Portland Monthly: Swamp Shack Crawfish Pies

In case you wanted to know what is in them:

Posted Image

A table full of pies:

Posted Image

Por Que No? was there with some carnitas tacos:

Posted Image

A nice spread with marinated carrots and onions and meat and guac, etc.:

Posted Image

And they rocked it out by making fresh tortillas by hand:

Posted Image

Really tasty little tacos, and while some might complain that they were not spicy...I sure didn't and I loved that they weren't covered in cilantro either. Porque no, indeed, that was some very good carnitas!

Dessert was represented by Lovely's Fifty Fifty. They had two delicious ice creams: salted caramel and cherry almond noyaux.

Posted Image

They were creamy and delicious and full of flvaor. If I had to pick, I would have to go with the cherry (I adore fruit ice creams), but I don't want to pick, I loved them both. Gotta get my butt up to N. Mississippi and have more ice cream...

They brought their handmade cones too:

Posted Image

#10 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

Laurelhurst Market's Dave Kreifels was there frying up total deliciousness:

Posted Image

These awesome suppli al telefono fritters (shortribs, tomato, risotto, mozzarella cheese) before the fryer:

Posted Image

Dave and Etta having a personal moment (well, he did get all up in her grill!):

Posted Image

A really stellar presentation with two in a paper cone supported by some arugula, with the delicious black olive aioli and a piece of lemon - really, one of the best bites of the night:

Posted Image

#11 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:00 PM

Gabe Rosen from biwa was there with tasty tidbits on sticks:

Posted Image

Albacore tuna and shisito peppers:

Posted Image

A charred shisito close up:

Posted Image

Everything was cooked perfectly, he's a genius with a skewer, to be sure!

#12 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:15 PM

Jason Barwikowski, the Prince of Pork (crowned so at Cochon 555), brought his delicious banh mi back to the masses. Using bread from Lanvin and meats and pate from Olympic Provisions, he makes a totally righteous sandwich:

Posted Image

Cross section of deliciousness:

Posted Image

And what makes any sandwich better? Right, a great view:

Posted Image

The recommended pairings for this included Roots Yamhill-Carlton Deux Verts Vineyard 2008 Melon de Bourgogne. Melon is the main grape grown in Muscadet (Loire) and not found often outside of France. But this crisp yet rich wine is delicious (would be great with oysters) and you should look for it. Another local gem under $20/bottle perfect for summer drinking.

Posted Image

#13 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:48 PM

Some other wines that deserve mention will now be mentioned...

Patton Valley Vineyards was pouring a cold, crisp pink 2009 pinot noir rose that seemed to have the slightest hint of effervescence on the tongue. A Gaston, OR local, they were paired with the Por Que No carnitas tacos, but that rose would have gone well with a lot of the food there last night. Another great find at less than $20/bottle.

Posted Image

Raptor Ridge Winery was there and pouring their 2008 " Meredith Mitchell Vineyards" Pinot Noir. It was a nice rich mouth filling wine full of rich berry fruit, and IMO, the best red Pinot poured last night:

Posted Image

Best red overall, IMO, was a non-local with a story from San Luis Obispo County. Mano Tinta is a charity wine produced at Talley Vineyards to support The Fund for Vineyard and Farm Workers, an endowment established by the Talley Family in 2004 to benefit farm workers in San Luis Obispo County. You see, wine starts with farming - those grapes are the precious raw materials winemakers use, and there is a lot of hands-on work still done in the vineyards. Harvest, vine care and planting is by hand, and it has to be done carefully as vines are not plowed under after harvest as with other crops. Traditionally this farm work is done by folks who rarely get health care and though they do backbreaking work, they do so without much financial security. Talley gets all the work and grapes donated and sells the wine so that 100% of the proceeds go to their charity. They even hold a contest for the label, which is beautiful this year (2007 vintage) (image from http://centralcoastfoodie.com):

Posted Image

Mano Tinta, a community project to make a wine from 100% donations that directs 100% of the sales to benefit a community foundation linked to charities serving the needs of local farm workers and vineyard workers. The wine community of San Luis Obispo County generously donated all the fruit for the project. Three vineyards in San Luis Obispo donate fruit while an international mix of donors have supplied materials and equipment that have made the project successful from its inaugural year. This evolving project works with the quality ingredients provided by others, the proceeds of which go to others. Organizations receiving assistance from Mano Tinta funds address the following issues facing workers and their families: education, child welfare, housing, literacy, health care, and prosthetic limbs.

But I really mentioned it here because it is delicious. The 2007 vintage is a great blend of 50% Malbec, 40% Syrah, and 10% Petite Sirah. It was just released this month, so call Talley directly to order it if you are interested.

More info here: http://talleyvineyar...inta_wines.html

#14 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

Thanks Jill, Beautiful pix!! I am so hungry now.

#15 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:21 PM

So, a few words about this event...

It was so well put together and such a fun evening! Kim at Anne Amie put together a wonderful and different event to showcase the wines and the great Portland chefs. While everyone else was having (and will have all weekend) formal dinners with multiple courses and pairings, we were all having a great informal time outside enjoying food from not one great chef/restaurant but several! The setting was perfect, Anne Amie is a stunning property and the staff were fantastic hosts.

They even played the whole lowbrow street food thing in other ways throughout the evening. Like all of the staff, vendor and press/media tags, they were all handmade duct tape tags, a great, hilarious detail:

Posted Image

Like the booklet for the event, bound with screws and grommets:

Posted Image

These were really nice, with a page inside for each restaurant and each winery, with the pairings listed on both and space for notes on the back of each. Some vendors signed or exed the sheets when they gave you their offerings, Lovely's put a little heart on each:

Posted Image

And although it started out as one page, one serving...it ended up with everyone pouring and serving whatever they had by the end of the night. There was plenty great food and wine to go around.

And as the sun set, the fire eater came out! And there was also a photo booth on site that was fun, too. Lots of details that made the night such a fun time...

Posted Image

Posted Image

If they ever do other events like this, I highly recommend you go!

#16 vj

vj
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:18 PM

So many yummy looking things, Jill -- thanks for sharing the photos. I'll be keeping my eyes open for the Mano Tinta!