• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:41 AM

Last Thursday, I was the first in line at the Tails and Trotters booth over at the Buckman market. And I bought a LOT of stuff:
  • Pork Collar Roast (Coppa)
  • Pork Belly
  • Pork Eye of Round
  • Tenderloin
  • Chorizo
Eventually, the chorizo, at least part of it, will find it's way to sacman's hash recipe.

But first up, the Coppa. I do a very nice Italian style roast stuffed with mint, garlic, & romano, and rubbed all over with onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. It's delicious. But this time, I was thinking to do something with an Asian twist. Any suggestions for how to cook my pork collar?
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#2 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:26 PM

Burmese red pork stew? ;o)

Don't know how he makes it, but I am still thinking about it...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#3 Catastrophysicist

Catastrophysicist
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:57 PM

The post is a year old, but here's a link to my blog where I use T&T to make the Pan to Oven Pork Chops from the River Cottage Meat Book: http://catastrophysi...s-my-pork-chop/
They were very good. . .

#4 Catastrophysicist

Catastrophysicist
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

Me and some bro's bought a half pig from T&T last month, so I'll be doing a lot of recipes with their pork. Recently I made roast pork belly, following the Canal House Cooking model.

Posted Image

Here's the link to the blog post: http://catastrophysi...ast-pork-belly/

#5 Catastrophysicist

Catastrophysicist
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

Did a post on cooking the T&T pork loin roasts a few days ago:

Posted Image

http://catastrophysi...ork-loin-roast/

#6 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

That looks great! But man, I like fat as much as the next slobbery glutton, but that is a lot of it that comes by default on a roast.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#7 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:28 AM

My experience over the last 2 or so years with T&T pork chops is that they come with a fairly large fat layer. It may just be the way that they trim them. I haven't gotten a roast from them.

#8 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

Agree with RM. All the chops I've gotten from them come with at least a 1" layer of fat. The ham I got a year or two ago also had a huge fat layer. Other cuts from T&T like coppa and flatirons are nicely marbled. Their tenderloins are very lean but still tender.

#9 Catastrophysicist

Catastrophysicist
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

When we bought the half a pig, all of the roasts and similar large cuts came skin-on, and therefore with all of the fat as well. I bought my most recent roast from Laurelhurst Market, and they trimmed it to my specifications. In terms of the ridiculous amount of fat, it's important to remember that they are growing the pigs primarily for prosciutto. My friends and I have a leg of our own going right now that's about a year into its hang-time.

#10 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

My friends and I have a leg of our own going right now that's about a year into its hang-time.

That's truly exciting. Pls post pics! Where are you hanging the leg?
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#11 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

That looks great! But man, I like fat as much as the next slobbery glutton, but that is a lot of it that comes by default on a roast.

Old Style! Before it became the other "white meat". In the old days the fat would have been trimmed and rendered for lard - now they're just bragging.

#12 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

Me and some bro's bought a half pig from T&T last month, so I'll be doing a lot of recipes with their pork. Recently I made roast pork belly, following the Canal House Cooking model.

Here's the link to the blog post: http://catastrophysi...ast-pork-belly/

OK, the GF is making this as I type. Sue cured it yesterday, will cook it today, and it will sit (weighted down) overnight for dinner tomorrow. Really looking forward to it - thanks for posting the recipe!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#13 Catastrophysicist

Catastrophysicist
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

OK, the GF is making this as I type. Sue cured it yesterday, will cook it today, and it will sit (weighted down) overnight for dinner tomorrow. Really looking forward to it - thanks for posting the recipe!

The crispy fat is basically pork crack. I love it so much! How did it go?

#14 RachelWithAnR

RachelWithAnR
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

Re: prosciutto and where it's hanging:
1. It is hanging in my garage (my fiance is one of the "bros" involved in the pig purchase).
2. There was an initial stage where the leg hung inside the garage, sans chamber, and was "bathed" periodically.
3. An old refrigerator was converted into a curing chamber, jerry-rigged with a humidifier and thermometer. Jugs of distilled water are added on a fairly regular basis.