Allium Bistro

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Catering Beyond Borders

Catering Beyond Borders
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

My wife and I are going to shoot over to Allium Bistro in West Linn for the restaurant's open house tonight. The owner/chef is Pascal Chureau, formerly of the ill-fated Lucier and Fenouil.

I loved the two meals I had at Lucier (luckily it was on someone else's credit card!), so I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can pull of in an area of PDX Metro that seems more geared towards multiple incarnations of pub grub than anything too complex.

Did anyone attend the soft opening Saturday night?
-- Roman Cabana, Catering Beyond Borders -- an Assoc. of Portland's 'Fave Ethnic Restaurants

#2 Catering Beyond Borders

Catering Beyond Borders
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:00 PM

Attached File  alliummenussmller.jpg   113.03K   9 downloads

Attached File  Alliumarmenusmallr.jpg   44.49K   6 downloads

Wine by the glass (I didn't grab a full wine menu-- sorry!)

Attached File  alliumglasswinelist.jpg   42.71K   4 downloads
-- Roman Cabana, Catering Beyond Borders -- an Assoc. of Portland's 'Fave Ethnic Restaurants

#3 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:10 AM

Oops, looks like the Burger Autopsies have to grimly shuffle on out to West Linn!

#4 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:49 AM

Roman, so how was it?
Never give up! Never surrender!

#5 Catering Beyond Borders

Catering Beyond Borders
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:29 PM

Roman, so how was it?

Unfortunately, I can't report much about the food, Jill-O. So far I've only attended the open house party. I can report that I, attacked their generous spread of cheeses, cured meats, shoestring fries, etc. with such gluttonous fervor that it might have been traumatic for the other guests to witness-- might have been if they weren't so busy doing exactly the same.

Everything offered was wonderful-- but I look forward to testing the skills of the kitchen some night soon. We're hoping to get there Thursday night, schedules permitting.

The space itself was warm comfortable, with tasteful decor and lighting-- without reeking of that "the-only-person-who-will-ever-make-a-dime-from-this-debt-trap-is-my-interior-designer" craziness that has been so prevalent in recent years.

The wine list struck me as decent, but I didn't give it more than a cursory glance-- too busy yakking at people. I did notice, though, that the liquor selection seemed a bit run-of-the-mill for that type of restaurant. One of the employees explained that they want to get a feel for what the community likes before they sink a lot of dough into inventory.

Laudable caution, and more operators need to exercise restraint. But at the same time risky. If I hadn't asked, I might have walked away thinking their bar manager was a bit clueless.

BTW, the restaurant is at 1914 Willamette Falls Drive, West Linn (The "Willamette" area of West Linn off 205's 10th st. exit.).

Here's some pics. I apologize for the poor quality. Forgot to bring my "real" camera that night.

Attached File  allium1.jpg   92.31K   5 downloads

Attached File  allium2.jpg   73.74K   3 downloads

Attached File  alliumsignboards3.jpg   90.63K   3 downloads

#6 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:33 PM

Ooo, action shots!

Thanks for posting back!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:13 PM

Posted Image

Went to Allium Bistro the other night primarily to grab a burger.

Posted Image

Nice interior. Sufficiently elegant, not stuffy.

Posted Image

Started with the butter lettuce salad with hearts of palm, toasted pepitas, mimolette, and cane syrup, $9. The tart palm, the sweet syrup, nutty pepitas, and cheese went together surprisingly well. Hearts of palm should be used more.

Posted Image

Burger comes with fries. They have a appetizer where you can get fries with duck fat and rosemary, so we got our fries upgraded for only a buck, I think. It is an upgrade, too. They're very thin and crisp fries. The rosemary wasn't overwhelming and the duck fat definitely added a meaty richness, but the fries weren't overly greasy. The aioli on the side was almost too garlicky -- very pungent and sharp, but enjoyable.

Posted Image

The burger comes with pancetta, "Bravo Creamery" cheddar, charred onions, lettuce, and tomato jam. I think they must mean the Bravo Farms cheddar distributed by Cowgirl Creamery.

Posted Image

The patty was perhaps slightly overdone, seasoned sufficiently, and charred okay. The pancetta was a little chewy, but tasty. There was lots of well-melted cheese, but the flavor was really too mild. If it's the Bravo Farms cheddar, it's only a 1 year cheddar. I think there was some aioli or mayo on the bun and it and the cheese blended together. Grilled onions were nicely charred. The best thing about the burger, though, was the tomato jam, a nice balance of sweet and tart that helped balance all the rich elements. The bun sucked, though. The burger was pretty messy and the bun fell apart too easily.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:34 AM

http://www.oregonliv...al_chureau.html

Q: Why return to the suburbs?
A: I used to live in the suburbs; I lived in West Linn for about three years. When I opened Fenouil we moved closer to downtown but kept the house as a rental. When I was looking this year to open a new restaurant, I thought a nice one would be a good addition in West Linn. I took a drive and stumbled on this location.

Does a suburban market bring challenges in pricing or in other areas?

Not necessarily challenges, just different ways to price a menu. It's a more family-oriented market, so we have to be sure we cater to families and children with a kids menu. I have a young daughter, too, so I'm happy when we go out and see a kids menu.

Did you consider staying in Portland?

You know, right after I left Fenouil I was looking in Portland to see what was available there. But I wanted something a little smaller with more of a neighborhood base. I thought West Linn was more suited for that.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#9 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:12 PM

Today's Living Social deal is Allium.

http://livingsocial....l100810_31email

#10 Cheff

Cheff
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:17 PM

How Was it? Allium...
my wife and i drive by it all the time and were thinking about stoping in...

#11 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

http://www.oregonliv...liums_mont.html

Neighborhood dinners can be awkward affairs, featuring (hopefully) unspoken grievances about the behavior of the local dogs and the tofu dish someone brought that stays largely untouched. The dinner's greatest interest is often provided by a meaty petition.

But a Neighborhood Dinner featuring rosy, juicy slices of Carlton pork loin, gilded with chorizo, garlic and earthy chestnut bits reminding you why pigs themselves are fond of chestnuts, could raise a neighborhood's property values. It could, in fact, single-handedly produce a neighborhood association.

And that's just one of multiple benefits of the monthly Neighborhood Dinner offered by Allium, calling itself a "neighborhood bistro" just off Interstate 205 in West Linn. A recent one served up two nibbles, a salad, the pork loin, sole in caper brown butter, tiramisu and frequently replenished red and white wine -- a lively Oregon pinot gris -- all for $37.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's