Artigiano

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:21 AM

On my way to work I noticed there is a 2nd cart in the Joinery parking lot on Woodstock next to El Gallo. Anyone know what it is? Reviews?
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#2 smittypdx

smittypdx
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:34 PM

Oh, I'll surely butcher the hell out of the name, but it's something like Artigiano. They specialize in pasta which, according to the friendly dude at the window, they crank out by hand in the cart. They've been up and running for a couple of weeks. I've strolled by a few times, and the one time they were open I was wallet-less so I didn't have a chance to taste anything. Brutal, since the smell wafting out of the cart was pretty intoxicating.

Looks like the menu changes daily, though a meatball sandwich seems to stick around. That was terribly distracting, so I didn't commit any of the other menu options to memory. There was a note about the schedule still being in flux, but the hours were something along the lines of this: Weds-Sun 11:30-2, and 5-8. I'll report back once I finally get a chance to taste a few things.

#3 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the details. I'll have to make my way over soon as well.
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Homer: Ham?
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#4 billb

billb
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

I picked up dinner for the family last night at Artigiano and it was fantastic. I (stupidly) didn't take notes, but the highlight was the handmade ravioli with asparagus, which was presented with some fresh, in season greens and a very light white wine type sauce. The taste and texture all flowed together into what I can only describe as a sublime confluence of fresh spring flavors.

We also ordered their ragu alla bolognese, which was very flavorful, but did not overpower the handmade fettuccine, which was absolutely perfect... The ragu was a classic version... beef, pork, bacon etc. yet it managed to complement the handmade pasta, rather than overpower it. Another home run.

I got some rigatoni (dried) and a couple of meatballs for my 3 year old son, and I sampled one of his pork and beef meatballs. They were a lot smaller than most meatballs you see in PDX (maybe 1" diameter) but had good flavor... very well spiced and balanced and just the right density and amount of moisture. I was told that the meatballs are braised in tomato sauce (as opposed to being browned or baked) which makes a big difference in my book. Since they were for our little guy, I had to get the pasta dry, but I'm eager to get back and have the full meatball experience with the tomato sauce soon.

The cart is run by a very friendly couple, and they very kindly threw in a Caesar salad with our order, which was a very competent version, as well as some soft bread. The menu there appears to change daily as noted in previous posts, although it does look like the meatballs (and their meatball sub) are fixtures on the menu.

Total bill was $24 or $25, which was very reasonable given the amount of labor, love and quality ingredients that go into their plates. I will be back... frequently.

#5 gustoeater

gustoeater
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:27 AM

I agree that the couple are lovely and that what they make is put out with good locally sourced ingredients, but cant help but think that they've priced them selves out of the lunch trade. One of the item purchased above sells for 11$, the other for 9$ which might be above the price people are will to pay out for a food cart lunch. I wish them all the luck in the world.

#6 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

This place is now at the corner of 33rd and SE Division, a block east from Pok Pok. I had the yukon gold gnocchi with leeks, crimini, cream, and truffle oil. It was $12 for a good size portion that came with part of a baguette. Rich, but not overpowering with an excellent toothsome quality. This isn't a direct comparison in that it's been too long since I had them, but the last time I remember enjoying gnocchi this much was when I had them at Alba. For what I got, I almost felt like it was too cheap. I'm eager to sample their other wares. From this first experience, they appear to be very competent at what they do.

#7 scouty

scouty
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

This place is now at the corner of 33rd and SE Division, a block east from Pok Pok. I had the yukon gold gnocchi with leeks, crimini, cream, and truffle oil. It was $12 for a good size portion that came with part of a baguette. Rich, but not overpowering with an excellent toothsome quality. This isn't a direct comparison in that it's been too long since I had them, but the last time I remember enjoying gnocchi this much was when I had them at Alba. For what I got, I almost felt like it was too cheap. I'm eager to sample their other wares. From this first experience, they appear to be very competent at what they do.

The bummer about comparing prices of carts to restaurants makes my blood boil. The cost of running a restaurant is something that a cart never has to consider in their price.

#8 Gallina Gallo

Gallina Gallo
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

Per EaterPDX, Artigiano is closing for the winter tomorrow and is selling a $20 dinner-for-two deal while the food lasts.

http://pdx.eater.com...4/artigiano.php

As posted on their Facebook page for tonight:

garlic bread

salad

rigatoni all'Amatriciana

braised pork shoulder

My SO and I went for the deal tonight and enjoyed it completely. We especially liked the pork shoulder. It fed us perfectly, which means big eaters may want one extra dish.