Photo

April Event/Ethnic Meal - JCD Korean (3492 SW Cedar Hills Blvd., Beaverton)

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

Poll: When should we go? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

What day do you prefer?

1. Saturday, May 1st, 5 pm (3 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. Sunday, May 2nd, 5pm (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. Neither work for me (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. Both dates are fine (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:30 PM

So back when I started up the Ethnic Meals, we did a poll of cuisines people were interested in trying and it came out like this:

1. Ethiopian / African - Bete-Lukas
2. Chinese - Yummy Yummy, Ocean City - Dinner & Dim Sum
3. Malay/Indonesian (tied) - Taste of Jakarta (2x)
3. Vietnamese (tied)
3. Peruvian (tied) - El Inka
3. Filipino (tied) - Tambayan
4. Thai (tied) - Dang's, Red Onion
4. Lebanese (tied)
5. Japanese - Kurata
6. Korean
7. Indian

I've put in the places that we've been covering those categories, but anyway, what would people be interested in trying in April??

#2 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:54 PM

I've been craving Karam lately and would love to go back with a group....we haven't been there in 6 years as a group.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#3 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:40 AM

I love Karam, also, but would like to go to a Korean place (I enjoy kim chee and bulgogi immensely), preferably eastside and where they don't have those cook it yourself units. I know we did BeWon once many years ago, but I wasn't able to make that one so I'd love that. That place in the FuBonn shopping center might be a good place to try. There's also a place on the West side of 82nd & Powell I've heard has excellent Korean food. I never got the name of it, though.

I don't know. Whatever the group wants. I will see if I can make it. April is going to be a tight and busy month for me.

Best regards,

Amanda

#4 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:57 AM

I love Karam, also, but would like to go to a Korean place (I enjoy kim chee and bulgogi immensely), preferably eastside

Just my unsolicited .02, but eastside is not a good strategy. Head out to the Tron and think about a crawl if your group is small enough. Don't rule out DJK for bbq, and I think you could organize something unusual with Nakwon or Koreana.

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,046 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:13 PM

Yeah, there's only one promising place on the east side and it's a mixed bag: So Kong Dong. The rest we've either been to and are mediocre or just plain stink. Suck it up Gresham Girl! ;-)
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#6 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:29 PM

There's a huge difference in quality between the east side Korean places and the ones in Beaverton, I have to agree. Perhaps a group of eastside people could carpool to Beaverton if the driving is too much? I drove out to Gresham from SW Portland and that's a MUCH longer drive than the east side to Beaverton. However, I do think this will have to be a weekend event if we do Korean in Beaverton. Traffic after work is just too slow through the tunnel, 26, and 217 in the evenings for anyone to get out there at a reasonable time.

Vote, people! Let democracy rule and pick where you want to go in April.

Sarah

#7 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:40 PM

I concede. I have nearly zero knowledge of Korean food in Portland. And based on the reports on this board the Tron obviously has it happening when it comes to this particular cuisine. That Du Kuh Bee place does sound like a winner.

I don't mind sucking it up, but I'm miffed about being called Gresham Girl! I know I'm stuck in East County, but Gresham?! Low blow. HA! I sure miss living in Laurelhurst/Hollywood/inner SE/Close in NW, believe me. Urban Central is much more my style. But...I love my man and he lives way out yonder so that's where I be as well. The things we do for love.

OK...Korean and West burbs it is. I must be gracious about what is fair and right. Even if it's clear to hell and gone way west I hope I can make it!

Best regards,

Amanda

#8 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

I look forward to an excuse to try some of the places in Beaverton. I'm coming from East Vancouver. I was going to vote Korean but I don't want to go to the ones on the East side and I'm up for any of the cuisines on the list if I'm in town and its a time I can make it.

#9 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:06 PM

Maybe we can do Karam for the normal April event and Korean or whatever wins the poll (as it's currently winning the votes, but the tide of popularity may change - only a few people have voted!) for the ethnic event. Unless there's a ton of interest in another place for April's regular event?

#10 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:34 PM

I probably won't attend the ethnic event (Korean is too hot for me) but I had been thinking about Accanto as a possibility for a regular event.

#11 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:20 PM

Karam was one of our first monthly events, it has to be a ethnic meal or we just get a group together and go...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#12 vrunka

vrunka
  • Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

I'd definitely be up for West Side Korean. I've been agitating for some time now to make the trek to the Tron, but my dining partner acts like I'm asking him to actually go to Korea for dinner. With a group going, it'll be an easier sell, I hope.

#13 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,046 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:47 PM

When the weather gets consistently better, I'd be happy to lead people on a Mexican crawl down 99E. April's probably too early for that.

It might be worth doing a two-fer if it didn't freak out the owners if Korean in the 'tron is the choice, such as the two more barish places, DKB and CKR.

Nakwon has an extensive menu, but when we went there for a regular meal we mostly stuck to BBQ. I'd be really interested in exploring a lot of the non-BBQ foods there.

Then there are places like Spring, JCD, DJK, and Koreana.

The best source of info is probably the Fearless Critic guide. I know that Sauce, Flynn, and CO have done some exploring, but only a small part of it is up on PDXPlate, I think, because the site isn't insular enough without more secrets.

Yelp has a lot of them listed, too:

http://www.yelp.com/...ortby=composite

I'd be interested in doing some recon, but it'd be nice to have some help. Korean food isn't my favorite flavor profile and you often get way too much food which makes it hard for one person to explore. If interested, PM me. I'm a bit of a last-minute decide to just go driving sort of person, though.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#14 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:26 PM

Groups bigger than six could be problematic at JCD, Spring, and Du Kuh Bee. I'd call and see. Nakwon and Koreana might fare better for larger groups. You could also throw in DJK or New Seoul for BBQ if you hit two places.

#15 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

Karam was one of our first monthly events, it has to be a ethnic meal or we just get a group together and go...

We also went to Karam for a book club, when we were reading Diana Abu Jabar. I loved it and would be happy to go again, either for an ethnic meal or a monthly meal.

But I'd be happy to go for a Korean meal on the west side. It's hard to get you all across the river! ;)

#16 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

I have to say that my favorite Korean in Beaverton is Hae Rim - in my experience the execution is stronger than Nakwon and they are starting out with higher quality ingredients. They can definitely handle a large group - I've been in when they were cleaning up from a table of 15 plus.

DKB has apparently been sold in the last month - has anyone been recently and should a downhill alert be issued?? I've been several times and the idea that the hand-pulled noodles could be gone forever is a sad, sad thought.

I've been to Koreana multiple times and never found it more than mediocre. Am I ordering the wrong things or has this place changed since I last tried it two years ago?

I'm very interested in trying the others mentioned, but I can't imagine visiting two in one day. Just way too much food - I'd rather go two separate times (preferably 2 separate weeks) if there's a huge demand to do that.

#17 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:49 PM

For what it's worth, me and mrs. sacman are going to try and attend April's ethnic meal if it's at all feasible. Also, for what it's worth, we prefer the East side - but we work downtown, so if the meal's in the middle of the week, it's not a big deal to go to the West side.

The only Korean place I've been to in town is So Kong Dong. I wouldn't mind going again; it was pretty good, and inexpensive-ish.

-sacman
- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#18 Gregz

Gregz
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:51 PM

I'm interested if it turns out Korean. And I'm in town!

#19 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:17 PM

If anyone is interested in doing some scouting trips not this Sat or Sun with the Easter holiday and Passover, but the following weekend, please send me a PM.

I have a ton of experience with Hae Rim (very good, I know the owner pretty well from going here all the time, can handle a large group of 10-20, and does some awesome things with seafood and black cod, but the menu is small), Nak Won (we've been here before and the stews are awesome), and Koreana (very mediocre). Here's the places I want to scout out in Beaverton:

• Country Korean (Mon - Thu 11 am - midnight, Fri - Sun 11 am - 2am, 4130 SW 117th Ave, Beaverton)
  • JCD Korean Restaurant (Daily 11:00am–10:30pm, 12275 SW Canyon Rd. Beaverton)
  • Spring Restaurant (Mon–Sat 10:00am–7:00pm, 3975 SW 114th Ave. Beaverton)

Frankly, I think we'll have the best luck meeting as a group of 10 plus for a Saturday or Sunday lunch. All of these places are packed for dinner during the weekend, not that big, and it will be hard to do a big group. During the week for dinner, anyone coming from the East Side will be dealing with serious traffic unless we meet later than 6pm. I do the reverse commute and they are usually pretty backed up at the tunnel and the interchange with 217 on a good day at 6pm. With an accident, they seem to sit and sit. If anyone has some experience with it, how long a drive is it usually?

#20 Dragondazd

Dragondazd
  • Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:43 PM

I can say that Country Korean is pretty decent, I went with a group of around 8 and we took up their back room. That room could probably seat 12-15.

I think Hae Rim is excellent for any korean restaurant but these are the only two korean places I've been to in Beaverton. (Toji and Sorabol aren't worth a group trip, and just say no to Bewon) Duh Kuh Be isn't very korean to me. I ate some stuff there, ordered non-noodles, and was confused. It would be nice personally to try Nakwon but it's ok if I don't ;)