Bora Bora

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

I got a whole chicken with everything to go on Saturday from Bora Bora, and it was as delicious and addictive as ever--smoky, nicely spiced. The big surprise this visit was that they had ribs! A hand-lettered sign said "Ribs, today only." So I got an order of ribs, too ($10), with sides of their same rice and beans. Culture mashup! The ribs were great, meaty with a good spicy bbq sauce. An African American gentleman was tending the grill (chickens only on it), spraying them with a spray bottle in time to the music he was playing, looking like he was having a good time. I hadn't had lunch yet and got two tacos to eat there: carnitas and al pastor. I loved the al pastor for its huge depth of flavor. It was a memorable visit to Bora Bora.

#22 Joedo6

Joedo6
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:34 AM

I ate here on Saturday also after reading this thread and because I was in the neighborhood. The half-chicken was $10 and includes the beans, rice, and corn tortillas. Good stuff and that's a great deal. Not sure how much the whole chicken would be.

If I remember correctly, it's $16 for half a chicken and $20 for a whole one. That includes the sides. If you call them ahead of time they can have a chicken ready in about 30-35 minutes.

#23 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

Last post in this thread was 2 years ago, so here's an update on chicken pricing:

Half-chicken - $10

Whole chicken - $20

Both options come with rice, beans, and tortillas

Also, there seems to be a lot of discrepancy about their hours. Yelp lists them as open 10am-8pm. Their business card says they're open 9am-8:30pm. The woman working the counter said they usually close around 7pm. So...probably best to call ahead. This also ensures you get a chicken, provided they haven't run out. I took the in-laws here last night around 6pm and they weren't grilling anymore chickens, but they had a few ready to go in the cart.

Not the best picture in the world, but I'm getting hungry again just looking at it:

14691239458_7700630df7_z.jpg

The only thing I don't care for is the beans: they're bland. The rice is excellent.

I'd really like to try replicating this chicken on my grill at home sometime, so I inquired with the guy who mans the grill on his procedure. He says he marinates the chicken in orange, grapefruit, and pineapple juices. He wouldn't reveal the spices he uses, though. "My mom's secret recipe," he told me with a sly grin.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#24 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,345 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

I drive by it a couple days a week and occasionally stop in, though more commonly I get the chickens from Supermercado Mexico.  They're not quite as good, but my staff likes them a lot and they're cheaper.  Yeah, if you stop in late at all at Bora Bora their menu could be mostly gone.  They've also trimmed down the menu, I think.  There seem to be several things on the original menu they don't really offer anymore.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#25 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

Didn't know Supermercado does chickens... I haven't stopped in yet... looks like maybe I should correct that.

Bora Bora chicken is super legit though...   but I'm a cheap-ass too sometimes... so cheap/good can trump really good/not as cheap.

#26 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

Interesting. We went straight to Supermercado after this meal to pick up some Jamaica petals and I took a gander at their whole chickens in the meat case, but I didn't realize they actually prepared them. I'll definitely have to check this out. Thanks for the heads-up, Nick.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza