Bora Bora

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:25 PM

I am pretty sure there hasn't been a post specifically on this truck yet, so here goes.

Last week, mrs. sacman and I hit the Bora Bora truck. It's located in the parking lot of a defunct filling station/auto repair shop, at the corner of 122nd & Powell.

This is the very definition of a dive taco truck. Look at it:
Posted Image
Yes, that's a tiny two-table dining area in the space formerly occupied by part of the old gas station.

Have your clutch replaced at the same time you pound down a taco! But look at it from a different angle:
Posted Image

More on this delicious chicken a little later.

We showed up early in the afternoon on a weekday, on our way out of town. Their lunch rush would have been over; it was just the two of us the entire time we were there. There were three people at the cart: two ladies in the cart itself, and a man outside, tending the grill. They were very nice to us, and seemed genuinely happy to serve us. Unfortunately language was a bit of a barrier; in terms of ordering: FINE! No problem. But I wanted to get more information out of them, and really wasn't able to strike up much of a conversation.

I guess that's not so much a problem, as they spoke food and I spoke money. It worked.

Posted Image
A couple of tacos: one al pastor and one pollos adobado. They were delicious. I can eat one of these in two bites. I've put some really hot sauce on this; it's got some serious kick, and I do recommend it if you can take some heat. They offer a milder sauce that mrs. sacman liked. Curiously, the milder sauce is prominently labeled "habanero."

Posted Image
mrs. sacman's tacos: both were carnitas.

I ordered a lengua torta. There's a layer of beans...
Posted Image
...and some avocado, the meat, some lettuce, and mayo. The bread was just about perfect. A delicious sandwich.

Posted Image
I asked them to tack on a ceviche tostada. This was my least favorite dish. Oh, it was fresh - too fresh, I think. They were squeezing the limes for this dish right in front of me; I prefer my ceviches a little more marinated.

Posted Image
mrs. sacman ordered a vampiros; the meat is carne asada. I didn't try this, but mrs. sacman said it was great.

We were not really still hungry, but the food was so delicious that we decided to order four more tacos. I told mrs. sacman to surprise me with the funkiest meat they had. She ended up ordering two more carnitas for her, and two buche tacos for me (pork esophagus). Here's what we got:
Posted Image
Which ones are which? We couldn't tell at first. mrs. sacman was pretty adamant that she wanted the carnitas instead of the buche, so we poked around until we were pretty sure we'd got it sorted. As far as I'm concerned, pork is pork is pork though - it's all delicious (apologies to M. Brownlow).

At the end of our meal, one of the ladies brought us a chicken wing to try, right off the grill:
Posted Image
It was spectacular. We were full to bursting at that point, and we had a 5 hour drive in front of us, so we begged off buying any more food.

This was all about $25 or so, and worth every penny. We did go overboard somewhat.

There are restrooms, in theory. They suck so much, though, that the kind folks at Bora Bora have set up an outdoor hand washing station:
Posted Image
Warm water and scented soap! It works.

Go to Bora Bora, with the expectation of getting really awesome food. We didn't eat a single thing that we didn't like. We'll be back for sure.

-sacman
- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:47 AM

Glad you found it open. And glad she brought you the chicken. I was about to go apeshit crazy and ask how you couldn't get grilled chicken or at least a taco with the grilled chicken meat. It's their best thing. I like their ceviche a lot. West coast shrimp ceviches are often exactly like that.

It doesn't look like I ever uploaded any pictures or gave a full report on this place. Here's the menu, though.

Attached File  IMG_1689.JPG   2.03MB   13 downloads

I highly recommend:

* the pollos al carbon: grilled chickens or any dish with the grilled chicken
* frijoles pa charritos: flavorful beans
* guacamole tequila
* tostadas de ceviche: shrimp ceviche tostada
* la llorana: like a sope with spicy meats and sauces
* tacos ahogados: fried tacos in salsa
* tamales

Now that Cora y Huichol has changed hands, this is my favorite taco truck on the east side. Definitely has one of the most unique and regionally specific menu. Pretty much all the items are things you'd only find exactly like they are and named such in Sinaloa, the state Mazatlan is in. I can remember a lot of these dishes from there. Love all the slang on the menu, too.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:37 AM

Truth in advertising award goes to: "Todos los fines del semana menudo para los crudos!" Now if they could do a revuelve a vida, I might be in real trouble. This is a great menu board, filled with puns and some wonderful jokes.

#4 reduxredux

reduxredux
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

My friend and I split a whole chicken ($14) with rice and beans. Easily enough food for 4-6 hungry people. The chicken was delicious although the rice and beans were a pretty small portion for the amount of meat. Good salsa, too - indeed, the yellow squeeze bottle labeled "habanero" is the mild green salsa.

They are moving to Division and 158th on May 1st.

#5 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for the info! I'd have been pissed if I went out there and didn't see the truck.

-sacman
- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#6 reduxredux

reduxredux
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:58 AM

Went out to their new location yesterday. It's way far out at 158th and Division, but I can see why they chose that location over the one on Powell, which was in sort of a void.

Arrived at maybe 5:45, and there was a 35 minute wait for the grilled chicken. I was with four friends, and we had tortas, quesadillas, and ceviche while waiting. Their tortas were okay, but a little lean on the fillings. I liked the pastor but the asada wasn't that great. I didn't try the quesadillas but one friend ordered a second one after scarfing down the first. I would like to try some of the special items, like the vampiros, chorreada, and tacos ahogada.

Due to group dynamics I almost had to leave after they said it would be another 20 minutes for the chicken, but as we cleaned up and prepared to head out the grillmaster found a chicken that was ready. I got 1/2 of it for $7 with rice, beans, and tortillas. This chicken was even more delicious than the one last week. So, so, so good.

At the end the woman taking orders asked me to comment on Portlandfood.org. I told her that I already had. Go to this place, the chicken is divine.

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for the update. I looked for it on my way home Friday and didn't see it.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#8 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

Just saw it moved here, I'm happy since the truck that was there was great but left. Gonna try this place soon.

#9 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:06 PM

On Friday night we drove up Division looking for Bora Bora - it was closed when we drove up at 7pm. Does anyone know if the truck closes early or if it's temporarily closed? We would love to try it.

#10 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:42 PM

The grilled chicken here is off the hook delicious.

It's $15 for a whole chicken with the extras now though.

Worth every penny.

#11 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:15 PM

Reading the rave reviews above, I drove out here today for lunch and got the $8 half chicken with rice, beans, and corn tortilla. Holy hell, this stuff is insanely, insanely good. The basic salsa is great as well--just the right amount of heat for a gringo like me. I wanted some grilled chicken tacos, which they don't have, but gave me 5 corn tortillas, so I essentially had five stuffed chicken tacos plus a good amount of extra chicken for $8. Can't beat that. Got there right before noon, and I was the only one in line (though there were about 8 guys sitting back at the one table they have for guests). It's a bit of a trek, but completely worth it. This place should be at the top of everyone's list.

#12 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:24 PM

Posted Image

Going through the archives, found some old pictures of Bora Bora that I thought might be worthwhile...

Posted Image

I think that's a vampiro in back, a llorana front left, and the tequila guacamole.

Posted Image

Not the best picture of their ceviche, since I had taken it home with me, but it's a good version.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#13 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

And here are some newer pics...

Posted Image

This one speaks for itself and the picture is worth much more than 1000 words.

Posted Image

Best grilled chicken in the state.

Posted Image

The newer menu.

btw, I keep saying that this place rocks. Any Portlander who loves Mexican food who hasn't tried it doesn't love Mexican food.

http://www.oregonliv...rth_a_trip.html
http://www.portlandm...-november-2011/

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#14 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

Posted Image

Best grilled chicken in the state.

Seasonings?

#15 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

Seasonings?

Crack-Cocaine

It's that good.

#16 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

Seasonings?

Crack-Cocaine

It's that good.

El Inka chicken or Bora Bora chicken?

#17 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

Amen, MSG, this stuff is the absolute bomb. I get out here as often as I can...and no matter how good that menu looks, all I can ever get is a half bird with rice and beans, because I love it so goddam hard.

#18 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

MSG,

Great pics and report. How much is the chicken for a half and a whole though (not that it really matters, considering how tasty those birds look)? Didn't see it on the menu.

Been meaning to get to Bora Bora for a long while----my older daughter has been going to a preschool at 142nd and Mill for the past few months and had the chance but haven't done. At the end of the month she'll be going to a place closer to us---will definitely hit it up before then.

Thanks again for the reminder and report!

#19 The Wannabe Gourmand

The Wannabe Gourmand
  • Members
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Food.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

Bora Bora for sure.

Seasonings?

Crack-Cocaine

It's that good.

El Inka chicken or Bora Bora chicken?

#20 The Wannabe Gourmand

The Wannabe Gourmand
  • Members
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Food.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

If I remember correctly, it's $16 for half a chicken and $20 for a whole one. That includes the sides. If you call them ahead of time they can have a chicken ready in about 30-35 minutes.

MSG,

Great pics and report. How much is the chicken for a half and a whole though (not that it really matters, considering how tasty those birds look)? Didn't see it on the menu.

Been meaning to get to Bora Bora for a long while----my older daughter has been going to a preschool at 142nd and Mill for the past few months and had the chance but haven't done. At the end of the month she'll be going to a place closer to us---will definitely hit it up before then.

Thanks again for the reminder and report!