Andina

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:33 PM

FWIW, I've been to Andina 3 times in my life. Every time we were granted exceptional service and great food. I can assure you that I'm extraordinarily untrendy.

-sacman
- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#62 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:26 PM

I remember a couple years ago I came by to K&Z to say hi and you gave me some free bagels and stuff to take with me. Should everyone in the place that you didn't give free bagels to have written in with their outrage for being treated differently? Or was it just a friendly gesture that you had a personal reason to make and which I accepted with gratitude?

Me giving you free bagels didn't affect anyone else's meal. When I hosted, I never even put investors to the front of the line. They waited just like everyone else.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#63 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:55 PM

I remember a couple years ago I came by to K&Z to say hi and you gave me some free bagels and stuff to take with me. Should everyone in the place that you didn't give free bagels to have written in with their outrage for being treated differently? Or was it just a friendly gesture that you had a personal reason to make and which I accepted with gratitude?

Me giving you free bagels didn't affect anyone else's meal. When I hosted, I never even put investors to the front of the line. They waited just like everyone else.

But it was treating me differently than others who had to pay.
And it was making an exception to the rule (pay for what you get) for me that wasn't being made for others.
And with the OP's post the exceptions that were made for the people who had those tables for them didn't have to affect their meal. They were offered seating immediately (choice of table downstairs or bar upstairs even!). They just happened to want the seats that were off limits. They chose to have their meal affected. Now, one could argue that the exception made for the other diners affected them
if those tables being held prevented them from being seated. But according to their post that wasn't the case.

Lest this turn into a silly argument - as I said before it certainly sounds like the host didn't handle it in an ideal fashion (but them again whoever made the call to allow for the exceptions may not have made her privvy to the details). All I'm saying is that automatically assuming that you are being mistreated when someone gets something you don't because you aren't "special enough" or "important enough" is a choice.
It's a glass half empty/half full thing and more often then not is somewhat based on feelings of envy.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#64 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:13 PM

Our initial reaction to how the situation was handled was not so much if we were VIP or trendy enough, but instead how a place that is so tightly run, dismissively and openly breaks rules for phantom customers/VIPs/______________ ? We expected more from them.

I worked as a hostess, waited tables, and tended bar. From dives to high-end. Often I turned people away or told them a table would not be available until after 9:30pm. This included a small place favored by both locals and A-list stars. Many regulars. In places like that your every move is observed and tables are at a premium. Our response was to treat everyone equally including first-time customers. It's how we earned regulars.

Initially, we had the option to wait for the bar or go downstairs - only after I spotted the two seats at the bar and asked, were we allowed in.

When first denied a table I needed clarification...I thought there were no reservations, why are these tables being held? Did I go about this incorrectly? Should I have reserved? Based on how my question was handled (dismissed), it was then that I/we became frustrated.

I expressed our desire to have cocktails in the bar and then dinner later. It's my experience that statement is the cue for your name to be taken, they will check on the dining room's status, you will learn the estimated wait. This didn't happen. Was I supposed to arrange a table with the other hostess? It's almost like they are running two separate businesses that share a kitchen.

At least three other couples were told the same as us, so they waited just outside the bar looking at tables that remained empty.

Maybe the tables were being held for a special party, maybe for VIPs, maybe only parties of four are allowed on four-tops. I don't know. What I can say is when tables remain empty in a high demand setting that does not allow reservations, a number of alternatives would have changed our experience.

Again, the cocktails, appetizers, and server were great - for this, it is likely we will give it another try in the future.
(Should we move this discussion to a different section?)

#65 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

FWIW, I've been to Andina 3 times in my life. Every time we were granted exceptional service and great food. I can assure you that I'm extraordinarily untrendy.

-sacman

I've also encountered very good service with each visit.
Love their small plates menu.
My absolute favorite drink is their delicious SACSAYHUAMÁN, which is, from their description, a habanero pepper vodka shaken with pureed passion fruit and cane sugar,
served up with a sugar rim and a cilantro leaf garnish. It was here that I first tasted habanero pepper in a cocktail.

#66 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

My wife and I had tickets to a show at Portland Center Stage over the weekend, so decided to have dinner at Andina right before. I have to say, over the years, I've eaten at Andina probably a dozen times, and have never had a less-than-exceptional visit. This was no exception. So that's one point in their favor: the remarkable consistency. The second point, and the entire reason for this post, is that I had what was without question the best duck dish I've EVER had, in my life, this Saturday. Unbelievable. The menu describes it as

an iconic Peruvian dish with duck served two ways: crispy duck confit and duck breast pan-seared to order, paired with cilantro-infused rice, a savory-sweet passionfruit sauce and baby carrots

The breast was spectacular, really moist and flavorful, exactly the right amount of sauce. But the confit was....well, transcendent. Probably one of the top things I've had at ANY restaurant this year. Just blew me away. Definitely worth thinking about the next time anyone here goes to Andina.