Andina

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 mgmgbooks

mgmgbooks
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:18 AM

My husband and I ate at Andina last night for the first time. We've never had Peruvian food before and were just wowed by the flavors! I tried many of the dishes people raved about; the yuca, the mango cebiche, the salad and the scallops. There wasn't a bad dish among them. The service was great as well. Our server, Alyssa, patiently answered all of our questions and helped us make some good wine choices. We'll be back!

#22 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:46 PM

Anyone have pricing info on happy hour?

#23 The Mick

The Mick
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:20 PM

Happy hour cocktails are all $5 (instead of $8).......Oysters are all $1 each, then they have three anticuchos (skewers). Each order is $2 (chicken, beef heart or octopus). It's not a large happy hour selection, but it's always good!

#24 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:29 PM

They've got such a large bar menu to begin with with the ability to get stuff small, they don't need it.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#25 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:49 AM

A friend and I had lunch at Andina on Saturday and while we kept the meal fairly simple, it was still quite nice. Iím not sure why I ordered the white sangria, as Iíve only had white sangria once before and didnít care for it. But for some reason I ordered it here and it was delicious. I seriously could have spent the rest of the afternoon quaffing this stuff down itís so good, but fortunately I had other items on the agenda and we only shared a pitcher.

We started with the tuna ceviche which I like the most of all of their ceviche dishes as it doesnít seem quite so inundated with onions. My friend thought that there was a little bit of heat to it, although I didnít taste it. He was also dipping his bread in the trio of sauces that they serve, so I wasnít sure if he was really tasting the heat from the ceviche or if he was getting it from the dipping sauce and falsely accusing. For tapas we ordered the quinoa coated fried shrimp, yucca rellano, chorizo plate and cheese plate, all of them in the small size. It was still too much food and both of us walked out of there seriously needing a nap. But all of it was very good although I didnít care for the shrimp. Iíve come to the conclusion that I donít care for breaded fried shrimp, as no matter what the style and breading it rarely seems to do anything for me. The Tiki bar being the only exception to this rule that I can think of.

We got there at 1:00 and there was no wait for a table. Good service and fairly good pacing made for a very nice afternoon.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#26 spyder1

spyder1
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Open wheel racing, Indy Car, Champ Car, Formula One, MotoGP, ALMS, GrandAm.....anything but NASCAR!<br /><br />Skydiving<br />Rock Climbing<br />Hiking<br />Travel<br /><br />Trying new and interesting foods and drinks.

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:39 PM

I love this place. I took my finace here as a celibration dinner for her passing her board exams. This place brought back memories of being in Peru back in my military days....how I miss the food there. I can't remeber what my Fiance had but I know she loved it. I had ceviche and a lamb dish. It was awesome!!! Even though my dish did not come with Yucca I asked the waiter if I could get a side of it, and they said that was no problem. Also the staff there is very accommodating. Since my fiance had passed her boards I wanted to do something special. They brought us champagne and a very lovely desert that said congratultions!

#27 footloose

footloose
  • Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:19 AM

I guess everyone agrees on this one! My daughter and her hubby took my hubby and I there recently and the food was *divine*. The service was great, the ambiance was wonderful... I only wish we could've stayed longer; some really awesome older Cuban guys singing and playing music, this was on a Thursday evening... The entire place makes me swoon. Andina is my new favorite restaurant.
"Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to weren't never there, and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it." Hazel Motes, in Wise Blood, by Flannery O'Connor.

#28 dretceterini

dretceterini
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:14 AM

I guess everyone agrees on this one! My daughter and her hubby took my hubby and I there recently and the food was *divine*. The service was great, the ambiance was wonderful... I only wish we could've stayed longer; some really awesome older Cuban guys singing and playing music, this was on a Thursday evening... The entire place makes me swoon. Andina is my new favorite restaurant.

Never ate there but sounds great. Just checked out their menu and the following is what I think I MUST try..

SECO DE CORDERO
an old family recipe: hearty chunks of tender lamb are simmered with cilantro and black beer for hours on end, served with canary beans and garlic rice 14.

#29 pdxtim

pdxtim
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:20 PM

Hiya all - long time lurker and first time poster. Andina is simply one of my favorite places in Portland. I have never had a bad meal, or even an average one. And they change the menu up enough to keep it fresh and me coming back. That said, I did have some Escolar there once that was simply fantastic, but gave me a bit of a stomach ache after. Man did it taste good though - and I later read that this is a natural property of the Escolar fish - that it can 'upset things' due to the natural wax esters in the fish. It is off the menu now, and in some ways too bad - I think it says a lot about the taste of the food there, as I would likely order it again for the flavor despite the after effects :think:

#30 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:45 PM

Hiya all - long time lurker and first time poster. Andina is simply one of my favorite places in Portland. I have never had a bad meal, or even an average one. And they change the menu up enough to keep it fresh and me coming back. That said, I did have some Escolar there once that was simply fantastic, but gave me a bit of a stomach ache after. Man did it taste good though - and I later read that this is a natural property of the Escolar fish - that it can 'upset things' due to the natural wax esters in the fish. It is off the menu now, and in some ways too bad - I think it says a lot about the taste of the food there, as I would likely order it again for the flavor despite the after effects :think:

Did you have an oily, orange discharge from your anus? That happened to me.

Welcome to the site!
ďThink of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.Ē ó George Carlin

#31 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:08 PM

Oh Gawd Pollo! Welcome to the site indeed!!!!! :think:

#32 pdxtim

pdxtim
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:42 PM

Way to welcome me Pollo - although I guess I started it :think: Anyone hungry?

I can say it was nothing like that - just a bit of discomfort. Ok, time for some late lunch! LOL

#33 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:03 PM

Andina is top notch in my book.

Best regards,

Amanda

#34 tonyajonemiller

tonyajonemiller
  • Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:33 PM

Wow. Went to Andina for lunch today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I got a glass of Carmenere, H had iced tea, and we split the following appetizers:

TORTILLA DE PATATA Y ALIOLI DE AJI AMARILLO Spanish-style potato fritatta with aji Amarillo aioli
PIMIENTO PIQUILLO RELLENO piquillo peppers stuffed with cheese, quinoa and Serrano ham
QUESOS ARTESANOS CON MEMBRILLO assorted artisanal cheeses with quince jam
CHICHARRON DE POLLO crispy golden chicken studded with quinoa
WANTAN DE MARISCOS fried seadfood wontons, served with aji amarillo tamarind sauce
CONCHAS A LA PARMESANA bay scallops baked with parmesan cheese and lime-butter
CHICHARRON DE LANGOSTINOS crispy golden prawns studded with quinoa, served with huacatay sauce

Got a medium sized order of the peppers, but everything else was the small size, and it was a perfect amount of food for the two of us. We arrived around 12:30pm and were seated immediately in one of the comfy window booths. Service was attentive and friendly, and the food arrived very quickly.

I loved the toasted quinoa rolls and three salsas they give you- in fact I found those sauces to be a bit more flavorful than most of the dishes' accompaniments. I personally found the potato fritatta to be a little to eggy for my taste (and yeah duh I know it's a fritatta), but there wasn't a lot of egg in it, so I take that to mean they're using quality, farm-fresh ingredients. The scallops were divine- plump, succulent, flavorful, and perfectly cooked. The quinoa breading on the chicken and shrimp is crunchy and crisp without being greasy, though the sauce served with both dishes is a bit bland. I used the passion fruit/habanero salsa that came with the bread, and it balanced the chicharrons nicely. The cheese plate was a wonderful end to the meal- love those fancy corn nuts!

I probably wouldn't want to fight the crowds at dinnertime, but since they serve all the appetizers at lunch (and those are the dishes I gravitate towards) I will definitely be back. Bill was $60 before tip, including beverages. Not cheap, but worth every penny, and the lunch hours make it very convenient since we tend to eat our main meal of the day in the afternoon. Definitely in my Portland Top Ten now.
Tonya (NSFW)
Chef Crush...Because I heart cooks...

#35 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for the report, Tonya!

I'm hoping to go to Andina pretty soon myself. I have always been impressed with the food there and have enjoyed everything I've eaten there everytime.

Best regards,

Amanda

#36 Toad

Toad
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:04 AM

I was going to skip my company xmas party since I am new and would just feel out of place and I had never heard of Andina before. After reading this thread I quickly rsvp'd and got a baby sitter. This place sounds very nice and since the company is paying I might as well go :wub:

#37 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:23 AM

John and I went there a couple weeks ago for dinner and it was outstanding. Any chance you have to go to Andina on someone else's dime (or your own, even) go for it! I've found them to be consistent and wonderful. Each time I've been there the food and service were terrific.

Best regards,

Amanda

#38 Kernel

Kernel
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:23 AM

After many outstanding experiences at Andina over the past couple of years, I had my first bad meal there this past weekend. Both the kitchen and FOH disappointed.

My SO and I had reservations at 8:00. We arrived at about 8:05 and were told our table wasn't quite ready. The hostess suggested we wait in the downstairs "wine bar," but I was interested in grabbing a cocktail in the main bar. The hostess said it was "full." I didn't quite understand. So I walked over to the bar and the bar hostess stopped me, saying it was full. I told her I simply wanted to walk up to the bar and grab a drink while waited. She said that was impossible, as the entire bar was taken up by diners. I can't describe how much this aggravated me. You can't get a drink in the bar? That's completely asinine. They've essentially made the bar into an auxiliary dining room. The "wine bar" downstairs consists of a folding table with a bunch of bottles on display. They featured only one wine for less than $10/glass. So if you wait, your only option is overpriced wine by the glass. And this was an issue since we weren't seated until after 8:30.

Once we sat at the table, we looked to put the aggravation behind us. We ordered a couple of small plates. The prawns were good as always. But the kitchen was in chaos. We waited awhile between small plates and entrees. A woman (I believe the owner) came by our table twice pleading for patience. I had the lamb shank for entree. It was solid, but underwhelming. My SO's entree, on the other hand, was terrible. She had the pork tenderloin with butternut squash and gorgonzola ravioli. The pork was flavorless and covered in a sauce that tasted like cheap, canned tomato sauce. It was really bad. My SO didn't eat more than a few bites.

I have had several great experiences at Andina. This visit was nothing short of terrible. The late seating, inability to get to the bar, slow service and one really bad dish left me scratching my head. Every restaurant can have a bad night. I hope this was the case and not an indication of the way things have become.

#39 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:50 PM

After passing Andina so many times (I use the Glisan bridge to cross the 405 into the Pearl), I finally decided to duck in. I'd been -> this <- close to stepping in on previous trips but often times I'd find the restaurant dead at 10pm.

Sure enough, I showed up at around 9:45 and they informed me that the main dining area was closed but that I could sit at the bar area. The flute and guitar duo were playing and they kept me in good spirits throughout the meal as any house band should, but they did so because they reminded me of RPG "town music" from my video-game playing days. Heh, all I need to do is talk to people and find the weapons shop!

Things were okay with the anticucho de corazon. I was taken aback by the size of the hearts, until I re-read the menu and saw that they were using beef, not chicken. The flavor on the marinade was great, and had the right balance of "chew" (it is, after all, pure muscle) without being overdone like a jerky.

I moved on to the choros a la chalaca. Mussels are one of my favorite shellfish, but that tomato corn salsa completely obliterated any flavors. Why bother cooking it in white wine if you're going to simply punch me in the face with a spicy salsa? (Not to mention, the corn itself masked the texture.) This dish only started to shine once I brushed away all of the salsa away from the mussels, and I was treated to a plump, creamy and delicate reward.

I saved the cebiche de pescado for last because I knew I could eat it cold, and I definitely saved the best for last. The ono had absorbed a lot of great flavors from the citrus and the onions, but still had the luscious texture of sashimi-grade fish. The yam gave a nice changeup in flavor, replacing the crisp, acidic notes with a more neutral, starchy one.

I should mention that I'd had a couple of the house cocktails at this point and was pretty disappointed so I decided to finish off with something bottled. I noticed on the menu that they served the non-vintage Gruet sparkling wine, one of my surprise favorites. It's a favorite because it's got a great balance of flavors and is a great "food" bubbly, and it's a surprise because it comes from Albuquerque. I paired this with a handful of oysters. Sadly they only had one Taunton oyster left to shuck, but I tacked on a few Cortez, really only to help me wash down the Gruet.

I finished off the night with an alfajor cookie, which is hit the spot perfectly. At this point, the crowd had dwindled to just me and a few other patrons, the house band, and the staff. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with a crowd on a Thursday night but I do want to come back to try the entrees in the main part of the house.
"I'll settle for a cup of coffee, but you know what I really need." - REM

"Peel all of your layers off, I want to eat your artichoke heart." - Thom Yorke

http://lushangeles.com

#40 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:27 AM

went last night for a few bites and a drink before retreating to hinterlands(see:beaverton).
I had a Malbec/cab from Argentina that was smoky and fruity, with a slightly sweet finish that i just dug! I wish i could remember the name....btw, how does everyone else remember the damn names of dishes/drinks w/all the ingredients and preparations? do you nick a menu? notes? this is the bane of my dining existence..... :) anyways....
ordered 4 small plates and 1 sebiche as follows, to the best of my memory;
pasilla relleno: the best dish we ordered! stuffed with quinoa, serrano ham and a mild cheese i cant remember the name of(this will be repeating theme...) great balance of smoky flavor and texture of pepper/quinoa.
beef heart skewers: great beefy flavor and much more tender than i was prepared for. these are almost a must order for me..
chicken skewers: dont know why we ordered these.....its chicken, breaded, fried...albeit good with the dipping sauce, with all the other things on the menu they are just not worth the stomach realestate.
assorted smoked fish plate: escarole and trout. both were very yummy, but my favorite was the escarole. It had a milder flavor itself that allowed the smoke to take center stage, which hit my mood/palate just right.....the trout though was good, but being a more strongly flavored fish it was more a medley of trout/smoke flavor. I will say that it was a great version of smoked trout! I would also like to say that i like the fact that they arent afraid to put a high amount of smoke on a dish, it would be very easy for them to go easy on the smoke and roll one right down the MOR....
sebiche:got the mixed seafood plate. had squid, scallops, prawns and clams....had this before, was as good as usual. it did seem like it had an amped up cilantro and lime hit to it(a plus in my book).
I can say that this is one of my "cant go wrong" places in town. of atleast 20-25 different dishes ive tried i have only had 1 or 2 that i would not order again. I dont know any other place i can say that about!?
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"