216 replies to this topic

#41 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:16 AM

What, Sarah, you can go to 5 Guys. ;-)

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#42 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:23 AM

What, Sarah, you can go to 5 Guys. ;-)

Having eaten a Five Guys burger twice, it's not a gourmet burger or even very good! Considering the number of families in the neighborhood, popularity of takeout at the existing options, and higher disposable incomes around here than Portland's east side, I'm continually surprised by the lack of love for this area from restaurateurs.

#43 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:04 AM

Considering the number of families in the neighborhood, popularity of takeout at the existing options, and higher disposable incomes around here than Portland's east side, I'm continually surprised by the lack of love for this area from restaurateurs.

In my experience all it will take is one then others will follow.
It's getting that first one to make the leap...
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#44 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:16 AM

Close-in Portland can keep their upscale burgers, westside will keep their Asian joints. Seems like a fair trade.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#45 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:38 AM

I can't think of the last restaurant that closed on the westside*. Capitol Coffeehouse maybe? Autogrill appears to be killing it in that space so far. There's so many crowded restaurants that blow over here that I can't even muster up the energy to name them all.

My favorite exception: The Shilo Inn on Canyon's upscale restaurant, called THE MARK (presumably named after Mark Hemstreet LOLZ). I've never seen anyone eating in there. Always worth a good chuckle when hitting the cigar bar there. My go-to joke: "It's named that because if you're the one eating in there, you're THE MARK"

*Oh, yeah I can. RIP, Chicago's Windy City.

#46 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:08 AM

*Oh, yeah I can. RIP, Chicago's Windy City.

I don't think that one counts - that's a totally doomed spot and more Beaverton than SW Portland. I can think of two Lebanese joints before them in that location that died. All mediocre, but it's really because the upper end of Canyon Rd appears to be regarded by everyone as the back of beyond for restaurants. Pain in the ass to get there from the SW Hills (you have to drive up Scholls Ferry, go onto 26's entrance ramp, then stay in the left lane for Canyon Rd), out of the way for Beaverton, and Beaverton-Hillsdale has more volume of restaurants for those who live close.

#47 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:14 PM

I got my lunch here today. It was really crowded and it was going to be a while before the order was ready so I got mine to go (as did most people). This was after 1:30. I had cheeseburger, fries and coke. You can choose from cheddar, swiss, bleu, or chevre for your cheese. I just got cheddar to see how it would compare with other burgers. The fries were very good. Crisp with a nice salty seasoning to them. I scarfed them down on my walk back to the office. The burger is pretty small, IMO, or at least it looks small. It seems like it's slider-sized, but the meat is thick enough and cooked about medium, I'd say. Pink in the middle, but not red. I think in the future I'd get two of them. I'm pretty happy with it. It tasted great. I just wish the little burger was a bit bigger.

Best regards,

Amanda

#48 jollygrinch

jollygrinch
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:37 PM

I just had a late lunch / early dinner there as well. I work close by so I've been waiting anxiously for them to open.

The burger was definitely closer to slider size (though, not quite), or maybe I'm just a big fatty. Either way, it was delicious. I got the cheddar as well although my usual is blue cheese at other places. I shouldn't have gone when I was quite so hungry because I can't recall much about it other than it was good. Pretty sure it had thinly sliced red onion and lettuce on it.

The fries were quite good as well, although mine could have done with a bit longer in the fryer. They were crisp, but could have been a touch darker.

My burger came medium which was fine as I prefer medium rare, but as I wasn't asked how I wanted it I imagine they're going to run into problems with "pink meat = death" types. Also, handing orders over people's heads at the counter is probably going to get old pretty quickly.

Looking forward to going back and trying more.

#49 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:51 PM

I just wish the little burger was a bit bigger.

You know, when they put the prices in the window, I had a feeling that if they were going to charge such reasonable prices, then the burger would tend toward the small side. Good to know that for sure going in now.

#50 PortlandFoodAdventures

PortlandFoodAdventures
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:07 PM

You know, when they put the prices in the window, I had a feeling that if they were going to charge such reasonable prices, then the burger would tend toward the small side. Good to know that for sure going in now.

How much clearer can it be? It's all right there in the name--exactly what to expect. If it's tasty ("big"), then it is what it says it is. Plus fries.
Portland's best chefs TIP YOU.
PorlandFoodAdventures.com

#51 kayte

kayte
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

I had 2 burgers- chevre and blue. Good- the chevre being the yummiest. I can't imagine having less than 2 and would maybe escalate to four if I was really hungry.lol Fries were perfect. Nice cheap lunch option- yay.

#52 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:01 PM

How much clearer can it be? It's all right there in the name--exactly what to expect. If it's tasty ("big"), then it is what it says it is. Plus fries.

Is it super duper sad that you saying that was an ah-HA! moment for me? *facepalm* I hadn't even thought about the name... :lol:

#53 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:21 PM

Just had a late dinner at Little Big Burger. There was no line at 9pm, but the place was about 75% full. Ordered a burger with chevre, fries, and a root beer float. Burger was great - it came well done, but that was probably because I had just watched someone hand their pink burger back over the counter for one that was well-done, and so likely mine fell victim to that mentality as well. I wasn't asked either, but maybe you could specify when you order anyway (pink please or Pink = Death!!! whichever you prefer.) I thought it was a substantial patty for being so small. Also, I thought the burger had a really good flavor overall, from all of its components. The tang of the chevre and the sweetness of the house-made ketchup played off each other really well. The burger also had thinly sliced red onions, shredded lettuce, and a pickle. Really nice depth to the ketchup. The fries were really tasty - they are prepared with truffle oil, but not too much (it's good to be even-handed with that stuff). They were crispy and not overly dark, which is fine with me, but this batch was also not hot. I ate 3 fries and a bite of my burger, and the rest of the fries were room temperature already. Boo. Root beer float was pretty standard - Barq's and Tillamook Vanilla.

I noticed that they have no "trash" receptacle. Only recycling and compost. Pretty cool given the city's ability to compost for businesses that they would set it up in such a way that all 'trash' would fall into one of those 2 categories.

Talked to the owner on the way out (I've forgotten her name already. Shame on me!), and she said they're going to feel it out and think about staying open later than 10pm Thurs-Sat, which I really hope is feasible. Fry temperature notwithstanding, really good first day on the job for these guys. I'll totally be back.

#54 Twohearted

Twohearted
  • Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:36 AM

If they are truly sliders, then, in my experience, sliders are typically cooked medium-well to well-done. Makes me nostalgic for some Hunter House in Detroit! I'll have to pop over there for lunch today in between football games.

#55 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:22 PM

Welcome Jollygrinch! Man, I'm looking forward to trying this.

#56 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

Often any burger smaller than a bistro burger gets (incorrectly) termed a slider whenever you're talking a nicer place. My guess (haven't been) is that we're really talking about classic drive-in/fast food size burgers, like you would see at In-n-Out? I would never get less than a double from In-n-Out.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#57 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:20 PM

Often any burger smaller than a bistro burger gets (incorrectly) termed a slider whenever you're talking a nicer place. My guess (haven't been) is that we're really talking about classic drive-in/fast food size burgers, like you would see at In-n-Out? I would never get less than a double from In-n-Out.

This from the guy who calls a reuben big enough my wife can't finish it with a side of soup a "slider".

..back on topic.. I always thought he was going for a sort-of fast food style but with good ingredients thing. Standard fast food burgers are not really large burgers, especially when you are talking a standard cheeseburger.

#58 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:27 PM

The bun size is about 25% smaller than In-n-Out, but the patty is way thicker. I'll let the rest of you debate what it should be called. B)

Took DH back for lunch today. He got one of the last chevre burgers (guess word is getting around), and I got the blue cheese. I like the chevre better, but the blue cheese isn't over-the-top pungent like I expected it to be. That could be a good or bad thing, depending on your preference. Not sure what kind of blue cheese they are using, but I saw a wedge of it sitting over next to the grill.

#59 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:05 PM

My go-to joke: "It's named that because if you're the one eating in there, you're THE MARK"

After having had to drive by it for years, and thinking, whoTF would EVER eat there, I thank you for the opportunity to at least get a laugh in at their expense. I thank you!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#60 Twohearted

Twohearted
  • Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:13 PM

We went there on Saturday. The burgers really are not sliders, but they definitely are small and served done to well-done. The sauce on the burger seems to be a mix of sriracha and ketchup. I wouldn't recommend ordering burgers without cheese. Since they are cooked how they are, they burger meat is rather dry and requires the condiments it is served with and I think the cheese helps quite a bit. I had a cheddar and chevre burger, with the chevre being the better of the two. I think I would like the burgers more if they weren't so thoroughly cooked. The fries are fairly standard size, but served hot and pretty good. I'd say that the truffle oil is unnecessary, but I'm not complaining that it is there. Of the beer they have, it is only in cans, but that means that Caldera is on hand and that is awesome.