Little Big Burger

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#201 Sarah

Sarah
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

Went to Little Big Burger on Division for the first time...first of all, the music was some horribly loud death metal that I can only assume was playing to encourage folks to eat and get the f*ck out. Service was prompt and friendly. I ordered a cheeseburger (with cheddar) and fries. I liked the size of the burger, which is about the size that I make at home--chubby, rather than flattened out. The meat was pink in the middle, but tough and not seasoned--mostly tasteless. The cheddar was not melted, rather sweaty and unappetizing. The tasty bits were the pickles and onions and I LOVED the bun. Fries were overcooked, too brown and crispy with not enough potato flavor.

For my first visit to LBB, I was quite disappointed and not likely to try them again.

#202 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

I went and bought four cheeseburgers at the same location just the other day. The cheese on those four was all melty. The patties were pink in the middle and really well-crusted on the outside. The fries were quite brown which actually made me think they were pretty awesome. I will say that my Mexicano staff did not 1) appreciate the pink middles; it grossed them out, 2) like the truffle oil on the fries.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#203 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

Got a call from Micah saying the rumors were very untrue.  I'm not one to promulgate false information, so I've hidden that discussion.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#204 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

Got a call from Micah saying the rumors were very untrue. 

HOORAY!

#205 HamSa

HamSa
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

I went to the LBB on SW Bond Ave on Friday.  I waited 30 minutes for a cheddar bacon burger and fries.  And it wasn't busy.  My burger was overcooked - no pink anywhere.  The bacon was burnt.  The fries were the "dregs" - little bitty fry bits - and, yup, you guessed it, overcooked!  LOL  It sucked.  Not worth the wait or the money.

#206 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

Sounds like they may have some serious quality control issues to iron out. That said, I've eaten at the Division location half a dozen times and the Pearl location a dozen or so and, while there's been some variance, my burgers have ALWAYS had at least some pink in the middle, my fries have always been cooked to order, and I've never waited more than ten minutes from ordering, even during the lunch rush. I guess I just have all the luck.

#207 JandJ

JandJ
  • Members
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Great food.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

I went to the LBB on SW Bond Ave on Friday.  I waited 30 minutes for a cheddar bacon burger and fries.  And it wasn't busy.  My burger was overcooked - no pink anywhere.  The bacon was burnt.  The fries were the "dregs" - little bitty fry bits - and, yup, you guessed it, overcooked!  LOL  It sucked.  Not worth the wait or the money.

OK, that's a little disturbing.  We live a block or so away and have been there a few times with no noticeable variation in quality.  A solid burger very consistently prepared, fries done pretty well, etc.  Not the best burger in town, but solid and close by.  Hope this was more of a one time issue rather than something bigger.  I'll post something next time we go either way.

#208 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

I've had consistency issues at the downtown location, especially in the early days. That said, the worst LBB I've ever had was better than most burgers in town (and I'm not even counting fast-food places.) You have to work hard to ruin that bun and those toppings.

#209 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

OK, OK all this talk had me craving one last night.  I usually go to the SE Division location, nearest to me, as I did last night. Yep, loud and bright, as per usual (honestly, I think they do it to keep you from lingering too long). It was busy - I was #95 and they were up to order #88 when I came in. But in 10 minutes I had a very tasty bacon cheddar burger, no onions, medium rare - as ordered.

I like their burgers. They are the perfect size (unless you are absolutely starving, and then you can just order fries with it - though I did not do so last night) and made with good ingredients.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#210 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

Heard from a few people now that they have sold to Yum! Brands. Anyone know?

(modern signature COMING SOON)

#211 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:29 PM

You aren't the only one wondering: http://portlandfooda...burger-selling/

#212 Emile

Emile
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:09 PM

Official now - sold to Chanticleer.

http://www.portlandm...er-holdings-inc

#213 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:25 PM

Camden talked about his catsup project for years, even amid rumors that he was merely “doctoring” pre-made catsup. “True of the early batches,” Camden admitted in a recent sit-down interview. But now, he proudly points to the recipe’s scratch ingredients inked up and down his arm: tomatoes, honey, onions, chile peppers, a whisk for stirring, and symbolically, Portland’s iconic White Stag sign.

Much to hate on in that article, but this is probably where you could start.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#214 josmking

josmking
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

IMO the ketchup is the worst thing at LBB, especially with their fries. the combination of spicy and truffle flavor together is revolting.

(full disclosure: I have not tried the veggie burger)

#215 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:37 PM

IMO the ketchup is the worst thing at LBB, especially with their fries. the combination of spicy and truffle flavor together is revolting.

(full disclosure: I have not tried the veggie burger)

I love their ketchup, and I think it goes quite well with the fries (though the fry sauce goes even better).

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#216 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:26 PM

Funny, I love the catsup with the fries..  good stuff.    

#217 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:24 PM

Camden talked about his catsup project for years, even amid rumors that he was merely “doctoring” pre-made catsup. “True of the early batches,” Camden admitted in a recent sit-down interview. But now, he proudly points to the recipe’s scratch ingredients inked up and down his arm: tomatoes, honey, onions, chile peppers, a whisk for stirring, and symbolically, Portland’s iconic White Stag sign.

A friend who used to date him (I think?) says he has a tatoo of a crown somewhere. It is supposed to represent being the King of Portland. 

(modern signature COMING SOON)