Pizza Depokos

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:41 AM

Looks like they just opened in the last week. It's in the new Refuel Station North Food Pod @ Greely and Killingsworth in North Portland. Small little review on the LRBC blog..

Looks promising to say the least.. hopefully will make it this week.

Menu:

Pizza
12” Wood Fired Pies / Special House Dough

Tomato Sauce & Basil 8
Tomato Sauce /Basil / 3 Cheese 10
Tomato /Basil / 3 Cheese 10
Tomato /Basil / Fresh Mozz. Cheese 12
Pesto / Garlic / Kalamata Olive / Mozzerella & Feta Cheese / Fresh Tomato 12
Sopressata / 3 Cheese / Tomato Sauce / 3 Cheese 12
*Pepperoni & Peppers / Tomato Sauce / 3 Cheese 12

Manaeesh
12” Wood Fired Pies / House Made Pita Dough

Zaatar (Herb Mix w/ toasted Sesame Seeds) 8
3 Cheese (Lebanese / Mozz. / Feta) 10
3 Cheese / Zaatar 9

Small Plate

Humus, Taziki, Feta, Peppers, Tomato Salad, Olives and Fresh Wood Fired Pita 7

N Killingsworth & Greely
Hours: MON-FRI 4-9PM, SAT 5-10PM Phone: 503-247-7499

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:51 PM

From my pizza cart crawl with Adam last night.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#3 NewToPortland

NewToPortland
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:03 PM

From my pizza cart crawl with Adam last night.

Great video, Nick!

#4 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:30 PM

About 3/4 of a mile from my house, so I had to go by this evening when he opened and get a couple of pies. Got the Pepperoni and hot peppers with tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella instead of the 3 cheeses ($2 extra) and the Soppressata, tomato sauce and 3 cheeses.
Both were 12" pies cut into 8 small pieces - $12 each, and together I'd say they were slightly smaller that a regular sized pie.

Both were delicious, though would have been a bit crisper and better had we eaten them at one of the picnic tables nearby. Still, nice thin and tasty crust with a perfect light char, good quality cheese and toppings, and a really excellent sauce - perfectly balanced between sweet and savory, and enough of it bu not so much that it overwhelmed.
signature

#5 anotherdavid

anotherdavid
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:44 AM

Just what I need, another good pizza store that doesn't do lunch.

#6 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

Yeah...Life really sucks! :rolleyes:
signature

#7 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:09 PM

Finally got up my impressions of Depokos. I can't top ExtraMSG's already excellent review (or his photography), but I went back for a second visit, so if you want to hear about the red sauce Margherita, check it out!

In a nutshell: great 3-cheese pizza, flavorful dough. Red sauce Margherita: so-so.

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:29 PM

Nice report. I look forward to trying that tomato sauce. So would you say it's more in the Ken's Artisan side of things? Or even more intense, like a Flying Pie or something like that? Or is it more raw than that?
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#9 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:20 PM

Nice report. I look forward to trying that tomato sauce. So would you say it's more in the Ken's Artisan side of things? Or even more intense, like a Flying Pie or something like that? Or is it more raw than that?

The closest thing I can compare it to is spaghetti sauce. Not like Ken's at all. Can't remember Flying Pie's sauce all that well (trying my best to repress that memory). I wish I had asked about what went into it. I'll do that next time I drop by.

#10 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:39 AM

I liked their sauce a lot. Thought it among the best in Portland.
signature

#11 tomdorkey

tomdorkey
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:13 PM

I have been going to Pizza Depokos regularly over the past couple of months, and IMHO I think they are putting out one of the best, if not THE best, artisan pies in PDX. The ingredients are fresh, the crust is wonderful, Ethan and his staff have a passion for what they are doing, and the quality is sustained visit after visit. There is nothing nicer than sitting outside on an early summer evening and savoring one of their pies. I do wonder what it will be like once the rains return, but that won't keep me away.

#12 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

I just made my second or third trip the other day with a friend. We split the fennel, sausage and red onion pie. I enjoyed it. Arguably it had a little too much cheese. Either that, or the sauce and crust need to be a little more assertive for that much cheese. Fennel itself barely came through, though there were a lot of shavings. Enjoyed the sausage a lot, though. I've got a picture somewhere, but am too lazy to put it up right now.

#13 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

I've been meaning to go back for quite a while. I've enjoyed almost all the pies I've had there, but the 3-Cheese pizza I had with Nick on my first visit is still my favorite.

#14 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:55 AM

A pizza with too much cheese? Sounds like my kind of pie!

Best regards,

Amanda

#15 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:16 PM

http://www.oregonliv...okos-pizza.html

All of the pies we’ve tasted are excellent, from the minimalist za’atar (a thin but crunchy veneer of sesame seeds, herbs and spices) to the voluptuous, almost-a-casserole-on-a-crust special of pork pibil, mozzarella, Cotija, onions and cilantro. Though the toppings are enchanting, it’s mostly the crust that keeps us coming to the rough-and-tumble eruption of food carts at North Killingsworth and Greely, where Depokos Pizza is the anchor.