51 replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,058 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:12 AM

http://www.oregonliv...sandwiches.html

Get ready for Bunk Bar, shooting to open in May at the corner of Southeast Water Avenue and Taylor Street, across the street from Clarklewis. Owners Tommy Habetz and Nick Wood signed a lease yesterday.

With the expansion comes a bigger prep kitchen and a real stove, allowing for new techniques and possibilities. Both places will serve around 12 to 15 sandwiches. Drinks will be "beers and shots," with some local options, says Habetz. Meaning: no mixology but not a PBR place, either.

Habetz is already dreaming about a po boy with French fries and rich duck gravy, not to mention a bahn mi burger, inspired by the classic Vietnamese sub sandwich, with liver mousse, cilantro, sriracha (Thai hot sauce) aoili and pickled vegetables. "It would be super delicious," he says, launching into a wicked giggle just talking about it.

But Bunk Bar aims to be about much more than food, with a strong music focus and hours friendly to industry food workers looking for a place to unwind after work, at 3 a.m.

"For us, it's about feel and people and music and food, with a price range very affordable for people. Someone once wrote that Bunk feels like a part of Portland. That made me feel better than anything. That's what we're trying to do ... a place that's part of Portland."

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,058 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:46 AM

Not sure there's much actual information in this brief interview, but.....

http://pdx.eater.com...bar-bad-ass.php

Last week, Scoopface McScooptown Karen Brooks reported that Tommy Habetz and Nick Wood of Bunk Sandwiches, along with Matt Brown of Bladen County Records, had found and signed for a Water Street space for their upcoming Bunk Bar, which is basically gonna be like Bunk except open later and also liquor. Eater tracked down Habetz in between chicken-roasting and meatball-slinging to ask him a few thoroughly salient questions. Which he very graciously answered.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#3 Joedo6

Joedo6
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:19 PM

I can't make it to Bunk Sandwiches as much as I'd like due to their limited hours, so I'm excited for this new bar space to open. Man, those dudes make some good sandwiches.

I'm also excited to see what more they'll come up with now that they'll have an expanded kitchen.

#4 lluvioso

lluvioso
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:03 AM

I can't make it to Bunk Sandwiches as much as I'd like due to their limited hours, so I'm excited for this new bar space to open. Man, those dudes make some good sandwiches.

I'm also excited to see what more they'll come up with now that they'll have an expanded kitchen.

ditto joedo6.

i'm looking forward to being able to eat some post-3pm bunk.

#5 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:55 PM

I bet its gonna be dark and loud.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#6 Joisey

Joisey
  • Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:52 PM

Like my women.

When they first announced this was going to happen, the quote was something to the effect of, "we're going to re-create a seedy dive bar". It irritated me because by nature you CAN'T recreate a real dive bar, it either is or it isn't. I'll still give it a shot, glad they are going to acknowledge us late night industry scrubs.

#7 LionRock

LionRock
  • Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:08 PM

Like my women.

When they first announced this was going to happen, the quote was something to the effect of, "we're going to re-create a seedy dive bar". It irritated me because by nature you CAN'T recreate a real dive bar, it either is or it isn't. I'll still give it a shot, glad they are going to acknowledge us late night industry scrubs.

Did anyone involved with Bunk Bar actually say that, though? I can't see anything to that effect in anything that's been written about the place, but maybe I'm missing it.

I hope they can make the late-night thing stick. So few places have been able to do that in this town.

#8 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

If you follow Bunk on FB, you are probably already drooling over the posts. They have been posting possible sandwiches for their new menu. Including:
French Fry Po Boy with Duck Gravy

Fried Chicken and Waffle Sandwich with Applewood Bacon and Maple Butter

Eggplant Parmigiano Hero

Pork Belly Banh Mi

Fried Shrimp Po Boys

Debris Sliders with Big Boy Slaw and Pickles

Confit of Trippa alla Romana Sandwich with Tomato, Chilies, Mint and Pecorino

Grilled Sharp Cheddar with Slow Roasted Pork Belly and Apple Chutney

Never give up! Never surrender!

#9 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:49 PM

And another FB update:

Bunk Bar construction is rolling along. Look for an opening in August!

#10 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

Another FB update for y'all:

Keep your fingers crossed, think good thoughts(or naughty thoughts, maybe) and Bunk Bar may just be opening its doors for business at 3pm(pdt) on Monday, August 23rd in the year of somebody's lord 2010!

#11 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

Word is, Bunk Bar is open as I type...

#12 demon4105

demon4105
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:28 PM

Heard Bunk Bar opened tonight! Bummed because I am still at work. Anybody that goes please report!!

#13 JoeDixon

JoeDixon
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:22 AM

My dad posted a few pictures on FB this morning... looked like a success! Place was packed, space looks good, and they were serving french fry po' boys with duck gravy. I'll be double-bunking as much as possible this January.

#14 Topaz

Topaz
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:40 AM

I was there last night-- the place was PACKED, which is a great sign for them. Oodles and oodles of industry people, with an all-star bartending roster featuring talent from Matchbox, the Slammer, Rontoms, etc.

The space looks terrific, very reminiscent of Rontoms, with an enormous bar, well-placed midcentury modern furniture, and yes, a Ted Nugent pinball machine (which is very, very hard to beat). My only complaint was that the lighting was awfully bright. I'm not sure if that will always be the case or if it was just an opening night quirk.

A smart and efficient decision: you order sandwiches from a separate window, not at the bar or with a server, although it still gets transferred to your tab. Our pork belly banh mi came promptly, which was a nice surprise considering how busy they were. It was, of course, delicious.

There's no special cocktail menu yet; I don't know if that's forthcoming. Good selection of tequilas and bourbons. The staff was universally delightful and seemed to be enjoying themselves.

The bottom line: great vibe, great service, great sandwiches. I'm hoping it's able to strike a balance between being busy and being impossible to get into. An auspicious opening night for sure...

#15 clove2873

clove2873
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:51 AM

I know this is a silly question, but i've been dying to ask: i'm 18, can i get into bunk bar for a sandwich? *new student @ psu, and not familiar w/oregon law*
thx!

#16 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:59 AM

I know this is a silly question, but i've been dying to ask: i'm 18, can i get into bunk bar for a sandwich? *new student @ psu, and not familiar w/oregon law*
thx!

Best to call and ask. The OLCC uses a lot of things to determine whether a place serving alcohol can allow minors/under 21. In some instances a place is a allowed to have minors until a certain time.

Pretty much the OLCC rep at the final inspection decides what the owner is allowed to do.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#17 Kernel

Kernel
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:13 PM

thx!

Good advice from QV

A general summary of OR liquor laws: arcane, counter-intuitive and utterly ridiculous.

#18 LionRock

LionRock
  • Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

According to a posting I saw on Facebook, minors will be allowed at Bunk Bar until 9 PM. Probably would be good to call ahead and confirm this, though.

#19 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,058 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:42 PM

Merged.

#20 Joedo6

Joedo6
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

Looks like you can order sandwiches to go also. Love having Bunk as a dinner option now!