Photo

Food trucks at SE 101st & Stark

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:00 AM

Sue has gone to Shalimar twice in the last two weeks or so. Both were during the day. I tasted her food once and I thought it was really good. She loved it and said that the owner is the nicest guy ever. It is obvious that he really cares about the food.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#62 vrunka

vrunka
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

Just wanted to give another shout out to Antojitos Yucatecos and especially to their panuchos which could bring about world peace if everyone would just sit down and enjoy a few panuchos together.

I went to LA a couple months ago and visited this hot shit Yucatecan place, Chichen Itza, which everyone talks about as one of the best Yucatecan places in town. Since I've only ever had panuchos at AY, I figured I should try them at Chichen Itza to compare -- and AY wins by a long shot. Maybe I just got CI on a bad day, but the panuchos were greasy, tough and COLD! There wasn't much chicken on top and it was dry. Blech. It gave me an all new appreciation for the panuchos I can get right here in Portland.

Here are the panuchos at Antojitos Yucatecos:
Posted Image
panucho de carne asada

Posted Image
panucho de pollo

...and at Chichen Itza:
Posted Image

#63 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

That might be favorite food cart in all of Portland btw.. her panuchos are like crack.

#64 RachelWithAnR

RachelWithAnR
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

New cart at SE 101st & Stark-- Ninja Wings, owned by the same woman who owns the Thai cart. Their menu is small, offering chicken larb, "golden chicken" (which looks like katsu in the photograph, but I haven't seen it in person), potstickers, a plate of wings + papaya salad and sticky rice, and "fried macaroni," among other options.

I ordered the wings with "spicy ninja sauce" for $6. It was a fairly substantial portion with five decent-sized wings, a packet of rice, and the papaya salad. Wings were cooked well, not too dry, but without much flavor in the sauce. Papaya salad was also competently prepared, although a little sweeter and limier than I'd typically like-- lacking any real heat. Still, it hit the spot and was a totally satisfactory lunch option.

Interested in trying a few more things on their menu before I issue a verdict, and also interested to see if I notice any significant difference in flavor if I have one of my Thai co-workers order for me (as has happened at the Thai cart).

#65 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

Haven't been to Chepe or AY as much since the weather has gotten colder, but have hit up both quite a few times over the last month.

Panuchos are just as good as ever.

Grabbed 2 pupusas today from Chepe.. and they were as good as ever, but they need to stop fucking with the slaw.    It was completely different than it was just a week ago, and even that was different than the time I'd gone before.    Today's was just too much liquid and over-mixed to where parts of it seemed to break down.. it just wasn't good.    It was better last week, but again.. not sure why it keeps changing.

#66 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

Has anyone been here lately? Parking is a nightmare now. The pod has been fenced in, with "no parking" signs in the plasma center lot where people used to park. If you drive into the fenced area, there are a few spots around the edge. I went last weekend, way before standard dinner time, and got a spot--but I had to go over and ask several people to please not park sideways 3 feet in back of my car, because I wouldn't have been able to get out. The food is still great at Chepe and AY, but I've become a little wary of going back unless it's a really off hour. There's no street parking on Stark right there, so that's not an option, but I want to investigate and see if there's any places to park on 102nd or other nearby streets. I hope the parking situation doesn't kill this pod.

#67 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

Yeah, the parking situation sucks. I parked illegally next to the trash last time I went.  The landlord is going to have to figure something out or it's going to be tough on the carts there, especially in winter, I think.

btw, I highly recommend asking for cochinita pibil for the panuchos. It's not listed, but if you ask they'll do it.  Despite cochinita pibil and pollo pibil being the two fillings for panuchos I'd always see in the Yucatan, here they're rarely offered.  My Mayan prep cook says it's for health reasons because both the panucho and the cochinita are greasy.  But damn it, it just tastes better that way.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#68 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

Yeah, the parking will be the end for that cart... sucks really.. as it makes me not go very often anymore.    There's ZERO street parking anywhere close to that corner.. you'd have to walk 3 or 4 blocks at least to find street parking.