• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,058 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

Only place I know that consistently has tostones is Pambiche. They're a bit hit or miss, but generally decent.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#42 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

Pambiche's tostones are good, but Pablo's were the best ever. I keep hoping you put them on the menu at MMM...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#43 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,058 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

Pablo and I have talked about it and it won't happen. 1) Our fryer is overworked as it is and we have a hard time keeping up on chips if we have several orders of platanos fritos in a row, 2) They're not common in Mexico whereas maduros are ubiquitous, 3) We don't have much storage space and it means holding twice as many plantains, a case of ripe and a case of unripe. (It takes too long for them to ripen to be able to just let them turn.)

Of course, that isn't to say that Pablo doesn't on occasion make them for us and if you happen to be there on the right day you wouldn't find some gratis tostones on your plate... ;)
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#44 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

Of course, that isn't to say that Pablo doesn't on occasion make them for us and if you happen to be there on the right day you wouldn't find some gratis tostones on your plate... ;)

I'd make a special trip for that!

I knew that would be your answer too. I get it. And, honestly, those maduros are fantastic...just need to eat them in moderation, like the tortillas. And like the tortillas (and those kick-ass plantain margaritas), they are worth the splurge.

#45 jcoll4

jcoll4
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

Chepe's cart is awesome. i am glad this pod finally got something worth the stop.
All I did is say I eggs in a vegan dish..

#46 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

Only place I know that consistently has tostones is Pambiche. They're a bit hit or miss, but generally decent.

For what it's worth, both El Cuba de Cuba carts downtown (10th and Alder and 5th and Stark) have tostones. I haven't had them for awhile, but remember them being pretty tasty. A small handful come with the sandwiches, or you can just order them a la carte.

#47 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

Forgot that I also ordered the steak sandwich a few weeks ago and took a couple photos.

Posted Image
Posted Image

That's a grilled jalapeno on top. The thin flank steak (which he grilled) was very juicy and tasted like it had been marinated or spiced in something a little sweet. Chepe would only say it was "Salvadoran spices (homemade style)." On top of that there's grilled onions, lettuce, tomato, lettuce, Swiss cheese, and avocado (which you can't really see in this photos because it's hiding between the tomato and cheese).

I may have liked this even more than the chicken sandwich, but clearly more research will have to be undertaken. ;)

#48 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,058 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

Nice, I went for lunch today and thought about getting that. Glad you got it and got good photos. Will post photos later. They didn't ask if it was to stay or go and because of the volume of food, they assumed to go, so the pics I got of the sandwich aren't very good. I guess I need to go back. ;)

#49 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,058 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:13 AM

Posted Image

Stopped in the other day at La Cocina de Chepe for more food and more pics. Menu here. Specials menu here. The photos are a little disappointing and I'm not even going to bother putting up any of the sandwich photos. They wrongly thought that we were getting it to go. I think they figured there was no way two of us were going to eat all that.

Posted Image

Got some pupusas of course (revueltas and loroco). The back one is a little soggy only because they had originally packed it to go.

Posted Image

Despite not a lot of loroco in the pupusa, the flavor permeates each bite and is well balanced with the cheese. Balance, seasoning, and execution really separates this place from other Salvadoran places.

Posted Image

Their yuca and carnitas/carne frita was quite good. The yuca were crisp and mostly creamy inside. I've had better yuca at Central American places, but very rarely. And I've never had carnitas at a Salvadoran place that were as good. Normally the meat is dried out, a bit chewy, and not all that enjoyable to eat. This was not overcooked and the skin was nicely crisped on the outside.

Posted Image

Very nice sweet fried plantains as well. It came with sour cream and a side of beans and rice. The fried plantains were soft and sweet. The beans were earthy and well seasoned.

Posted Image

Got a chicken tamal. It was wrapped in banana leaves, very moist with a creamy texture. There wasn't a lot going on inside, though with the chicken it did have more yuca.

Posted Image

However, the best of the new items I tried were their empanadas, mashed plantain stuffed with a sweet cream filling.

Posted Image

Damn these were good -- that caramelly sweet fried plantain with the vanilla-sweet cream inside. Yum, yum.

Also got the chicken sandwich, which I'll try to get better pictures of in the next week or so. It was delicious as before.

#50 vj

vj
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

I stopped by Cocina de Chepe the other night for the first time. I got a pupusa revuelta and was tremendously pleased with it. Not greasy, nice balance of flavors, and the beans in it were to die for. I had it with their habenero salsa and the curtido, which usually I'm not crazy about. Loved the curtido! I will definitely be going back there again and soon.

I saw (and smelled) the fried plantains coming out and it occurred to me that I should have ordered that as well. But if I had known about the empanada, I would have been all over that. Wow.

#51 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

Went there for lunch yesterday, and it did not disappoint. Shared the yuca/chicharron plate, a queso y loroco pupusa and those plantain empanadas with cream. They also brought out a tasty cabbage/vinegary slaw for us.

And I got an amazing agua fresca with pineapple, orange, apple, watercress and pineapple juice/cider - YUM! SO refreshing and fruity without being very sweet - would definitely get this again. Sue was jealous but made do with her orange Jarritos soda. ;o)

In fact, it was all good. The chicharrones were a bit hard and dry, but everything else was just delicious. So much cheese in the pupusa, and the dough was so nice and thin. Yuca was crispy and not greasy at all on the outside, creamy on the inside. And those empanadas - yum - so nicely caramelly outside, great plantain flavor, such a deal at 2 to an order! This was more than enough food for the 2 of us.

Got cupcakes from Meaty's Cupcakes next door for later. Had mine last night - an apple cake cupcake with bits of apple in the batter and a great cream cheese frosting with a bit of caramel. Cake was a bit dense and almost rubbery, but the flavor was good and the frosting was excellent. At 2 bucks for a regular-sized cupcake, I am not complaining.

Live music on Saturdays meant we were serenaded by an older gent on an acoustic guitar - lots of Dead/Dylan type stuff - very enjoyable. Less than $20 with free entertainment and great food...we are glad this place is not far away!

#52 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

That cart pod has surprised me. The Salvadoran place is great, as is the Philipino place. With some of the carts there is no telling when they are open, but those two are usually open and can be pretty busy on a warm, dry evening. I think the little Mexican cart does pretty well, also.

Best regards,

Amanda

#53 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

And don't forget the panuchos at the Yucatan cart! Also the cocinita pibil tacos, mmm.

#54 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,058 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

The chicharrones were a bit hard and dry

If they looked like the ones above in my pic, then that's just how they're supposed to be.

#55 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

The chicharrones were a bit hard and dry

If they looked like the ones above in my pic, then that's just how they're supposed to be.

Well you said:

And I've never had carnitas at a Salvadoran place that were as good. Normally the meat is dried out, a bit chewy, and not all that enjoyable to eat. This was not overcooked and the skin was nicely crisped on the outside.

And that was not the case for our order. The meat was dried out and it was very difficult to eat. Sue gave up, I didn't. ;o)

#56 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

And don't forget the panuchos at the Yucatan cart! Also the cocinita pibil tacos, mmm.

I need to go by there soon, those things are like crack to me.

#57 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

They have panuchos now with asada, in addition to the ones with shredded chicken. We thought they were pretty good.

#58 abang

abang
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

Is Shalimar, the Indian cart still open? I had the fortune to try them 2 weeks ago and the food was fabulous. There were 2 Pakistani customers there and the were also raving about how good it was. Under the new owners, the quality has really gone up. However, I've never been able to find them open again, despite stopping by on weekdays, afternoon and evening. They don't answer the phone either. Too bad, it was good chow.

#59 HappyHourHero

HappyHourHero
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

Had my first panuchos today, asada and cochinita. They were great. Gonna have to find reasons to come back out there and get mas panuchos and hit the El Salvadorian cart. That empanada looked outstanding.

#60 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

Is Shalimar, the Indian cart still open? I had the fortune to try them 2 weeks ago and the food was fabulous. There were 2 Pakistani customers there and the were also raving about how good it was. Under the new owners, the quality has really gone up. However, I've never been able to find them open again, despite stopping by on weekdays, afternoon and evening. They don't answer the phone either. Too bad, it was good chow.

They were open when I stopped by the pod at 6pm tonight.