Food trucks at SE 101st & Stark

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:28 PM

Our favorite Yucatan food truck, Tacqueria Antojitos Yucatecos, moved to SE 101st & Stark, so I checked it out today. Also on the corner parking lot (in front of the plasma center) are El Cubanito de Palma Cuban food, Taqueria Los Arcos, Smokin' Jim's Bar-B-Que, and Shalimar Cafe Healthy Indian Food. Got our usual panuchos and cochinita pibil tacos, but I also tried pastor tacos from Los Arcos (they were out of carnitas). Very nice, handmade tortillas, sort of a coleslaw on top. Cuban guy was moving his truck a bit. I'll go back and try them all!

#2 Dragondazd

Dragondazd
  • Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

THanks for mentioning this. WE stopped at the Ycatecca cart and had a tamale, a pork taco, and a sabewhatever that's a fried tortilla, $1.25 each and all pretty good. I'll pass on the fried tortilla thing but I could be very content with some tamales and/or tacos.

#3 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:13 PM

This is right next to my office pretty much, 1st time stopping at the pod.

Will be back, for sure.

2 panuchos and 2 tamales.. 5 bucks.

Co-worker ate my last tamale because I was full. One salsa is habanero, and like liquid sunshine.

#4 vrunka

vrunka
  • Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:21 PM

I'm so happy this pod is here. I just started working a few blocks away and I was afraid that Baja Fresh was going to be best lunch option.

I've only been twice so far, once to El Cubanito and once to Shalimar, both were good enough to warrant future exploration of their menus. At El Cubanito I got the Cerdo Asado plate. The pork was perfect -- very tender and flavorful. A little fatty even for me (and that's saying something), but that's not really a complaint, more of a warning to the fat-phobic. The beans and rice were great -- meaty and well-spiced.

Shalimar was not exactly earth-shattering, but was at least as good as the Indian carts downtown (e.g., the various Tastes of India). They seem to be aiming for very middle-of-the-road dishes (my combo was chicken marsala, aloo saag and veggie korma) and spicing isn't too exciting, but it's understandable that they wouldn't want to do anything too challenging. Naan was freshly made to order and was doughier than I like, but had a nice tangy flavor and freshness makes up for a lot.

The other day, the owner (I assume) of the lot was there talking with the cart owners and it sounds like he's putting in a lot more infrastructure for additional carts. He also put a bunch of signs up advertising rental space for carts. Not sure just how many carts that lot can support, but I'd certainly be happy to see more come in.

#5 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:21 PM

Just an update on this pod:
There's a decent Philipino cart doing adobo and the likes.

A espresso cart that is very yellow and too cheery for me to try, so no clue on how good it is.

Shalimar(spelling?) which is allegedly healthy Indian food, which is the sole reason I haven't been.

The cheap thai place which is good for $5 pad sew ewe and pad thai, it's $5.. who cares, lady there is super-nice.

Taqueria Antojitos Yucatecos which I can't drive by without buying at least one panuchos, addictive little buggers.

Los Arcos - it's not lettuce, it's cabbage on the tacos, and they are great, haters gonna hate.

Some BBQ joint my co-worker says is good, but he's a horrible judge of food.

..and the newest appeared today called Pacific Islanders Food promising lamb curry, chop suey, and other strange offerings.. they were closed today.. so tomorrow I shall make the plunge.

#6 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:02 PM

So I went to Shalimar today, because Yucatecos and the Pacific Islanders Food was closed.. actually.. not bad for $6.50. Lots of food, and edible. Not a ringing endorsement, but it's the closest Indian food around.

#7 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:43 PM

Antojitos Yucatecos has expanded the menu ever so slightly.. I should have snapped a pic. They now do asada panuchos as well as the chicken. Price increased by 10 cents for the chicken to $1.35, and the asada is $1.75. Didn't try the asada yet, as I was grabbing thai from the thai cart. Still grabbed 2 panuchos to go and eat in the truck on the way home as a snack. I love that habanero salsa.

Also of note there's a new cart, Weiners from another Planet (or was it World?). Menu looked to be hot dogs, burgers, onion rings, etc. They were busy. Prices seemed to be around $6-8 for a burger, $4-5 for a dog.

Thai food place is an insane value for decent grub.. $5 buys a huge portion of food, and they were slammed at the lunch rush today.

#8 The Wannabe Gourmand

The Wannabe Gourmand
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Food.

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:21 PM

I guess we were on the same wavelength!
I was in the area on Friday afternoon after a trip to Home Depot and decided to stop by and pick up some panuchos and then thought it might be a good idea to take a pic with my phone. So here it is.

BTW, I ended up getting an asada panucho, a cochinita salbutes, a asada tostada and one asada and one cochinita tacos, everything was very good and the ladies were working on making those tortillas from scratch.
Took the food to go and forgot to take pics when I got home.

Antojitos Yucatecos has expanded the menu ever so slightly.. I should have snapped a pic. They now do asada panuchos as well as the chicken. Price increased by 10 cents for the chicken to $1.35, and the asada is $1.75. Didn't try the asada yet, as I was grabbing thai from the thai cart. Still grabbed 2 panuchos to go and eat in the truck on the way home as a snack. I love that habanero salsa.

Also of note there's a new cart, Weiners from another Planet (or was it World?). Menu looked to be hot dogs, burgers, onion rings, etc. They were busy. Prices seemed to be around $6-8 for a burger, $4-5 for a dog.

Thai food place is an insane value for decent grub.. $5 buys a huge portion of food, and they were slammed at the lunch rush today.

#9 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for the pic!

#10 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:43 AM

BBQ truck and Shalimar are gone.

La Cocina de Chepe is in, doing Salvadorian food. Fantastic papusas for $2/ea.

So pod currently has de Chepe, a phillipino Food cart, the coffee cart, Tacqueria Antojitos Yucatecos, Thai Garden, Los Arcos, and Weenies From Another World.

#11 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:02 AM

I tried the Philipino cart last week. I had the special, which was pancit, two BBQ pork skewers, and two lumpia. I loved it. The pancit was much more to my liking than Tambayan's version of the same dish. The lumpia was awesome and the pork skewers were pretty good, too. It took me back to fond times in San Francisco.

Best regards,

Amanda

#12 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

Amanda, do you remember the pricing? Also what was in the pancit? Fish, seafood? Or more a pork flavor?

It's Filipino by the way. ;)

#13 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:30 PM

Amanda, do you remember the pricing? Also what was in the pancit? Fish, seafood? Or more a pork flavor?

It's Filipino by the way. ;)

I knew I spelled it wrong, my bad.

I've had the lumpia and adobo from the cart, both were good. The lady who runs the stand is really nice as well.

#14 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

I knew I spelled it wrong, my bad.

Since it's a borrowed alphabet issue it really isn't wrong as such. You will have to cry into your pillow over something else tonight :D
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#15 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:26 AM

The plate I had was $10. I think most things were probably somewhere between $6-$8, entree-wise, but I can't be sure. I was just eager to get my chow and go. I want to try the cart with the tamales and the pupusa cart as well. Both the filipino and pupusa carts were doing quite a brisk business when I was over there.

Best regards,

Amanda

#16 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:39 AM

Do it Amanda, and do it soon. So good. Start with the revuelta.

Can a mod change the thread title, since the pod isn't exactly "new" anymore.

#17 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

Can a mod change the thread title, since the pod isn't exactly "new" anymore.

Done!

#18 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:07 AM

Maybe I'll head over there on my bike after work today.

Best regards,

Amanda

#19 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:55 PM

Went for a late lunch with my co-worker today. They raised the prices slightly this week on the pupusas.. looked liked 25cents a piece. Still a fantastic deal. Had the loroco today, I know someone else complained about the amount of loroco in the other thread, but this one was perfectly acceptable.

#20 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:46 PM

OMG! Thanks for the tip, nervousxtian. I went over there this evening. I ordered the revuelta and the special which was topped with chicken. Both were delicious, but the revuelta was seriously delish. Thank you for recommending it. Next time I'll try some of the vegetarian ones. This was the first time I've ever had pupusas but it won't be the last.

Best regards,

Amanda