• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:38 PM

Went in to Mojo not long go to try the Taiwanese shave ice. Here's the new menu:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We got the caramel twist: cinnamon toast crunch, caramel, and banana.

Posted Image

Very good combination of flavors. They went really well with the subtle shaved ice milk. The texture is really interesting. It's in long strands that are really light. They seem to hold together better than regular shaved ice. It's way lighter without the sweetness of Italian ice or granita or sorbet. I do wish they had more of the traditional flavors, but I understand why they stick with a lot of the American toppings.

This place serves two unique, wonderful desserts and seems to do them both well. People really should be searching them out.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#22 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:32 PM

After great dim sum at Ocean City with some great people from this forum yesterday, the evil pseudo grandtwin and I went to FuBonn, then off to run an errand down on Hawthorne. After that running around said evil pseudo grandtwin wanted to introduce me to Mojo Crepes. She has been there many times, apparently. In fact, she's been to a lot of great places I've yet to dine at, i.e. Shen Zhen, Good World, etc. Anyway, we got over there and she had the mutt with mint chocolate chip ice cream, strawberries, kiwis, bananas, chocolate sauce, and a poky stick. I had the Tokyo Sundae with green tea ice cream, mangoes, red bean paste, macha sauce and poky stick. It was a lovely surprise. I'm not the biggest ice cream fan, but this was a totally fun treat on this side of town that I didn't resist. There was no shave ice when we were there.

After he heard all the bally-hoo, once we got home, John wanted to try it out too so we went late this afternoon. He had the berry ba licious. They say they will soon have Japanese hot dogs. I asked if they were like Domo dogs, which he knew exactly what I was talking about, and he said sort of. They will be like regular hot dogs, but the condiments would be seaweed, and sushi-type stuff on them. The young man behind the counter seemed excited about that. John loved it there and thought it was a kick. I think it's kind of a novel place, but it is going to take a lot for me to round up the tribe and head over there for ice cream at $5.25 a pop. Still...if might be a fun thing if I take one kid at a time and spread it out.

I love Portland. I can't believe how many fun, creative choices for just about everything we have in this town.

Best regards,

Amanda

PS - I may have to change the moniker of evil pseudo grandtwin to foodie pseudo grandtwin. She is starting to have it all over me and she's only 11!!!

#23 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

Oh, Amanda, you won't like Mojo Crepes. You don't like ice cream. :rolleyes:

I think we'll have to moderate any post of yours where you deny that you like ice cream or any other dessert from now on.

Excited to hear about the dogs! I'm guessing they're more Japadog style:

http://www.ededition...anese-hot-dogs/

Posted Image

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#24 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:38 PM

I think we'll have to moderate any post of yours where you deny that you like ice cream or any other dessert from now on.

Hell yeah! I'm down with that.

Ms. I don't want to share a dessert at Laurelhurst Market, we need to order 2 of them! And then ate most of the 2 of them, btw...

We kid, because we love... ;o)

Seriously Amanda, you do like dessert, it has been proven. Yes, we can agree that you are picky about dessert in ways you are not picky about the rest of your meal...but you like it!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#25 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:56 AM

Let's face it. I'm done for. I've been in denial for too long. I've been lying to myself and everyone else about this for too long. Why do I always say I don't care for dessert or ice cream? It's been a running mantra in my head (and out of my mouth for years). Is it to convince myself? I wonder why I am this way. Anyway, it's a crock and I may as well come out of the closet with it. Everyone already knows it's true anyway. Desserts and ice cream are indeed fine. I will confess this sin at the 24-Hour Church of Elvis sometime this week to atone.

Best regards,

Amanda

#26 robl

robl
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:08 AM

ItsJustDeals.com is offering $12 of food and drink at Mojo for $6, ending today. I bought one. After reading all these reviews, I'm looking forward to trying it, though I might wait a little while so I can try their Japadogs.

#27 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:26 AM

ItsJustDeals.com is offering $12 of food and drink at Mojo for $6, ending today. I bought one. After reading all these reviews, I'm looking forward to trying it, though I might wait a little while so I can try their Japadogs.

Welcome to the site, Robi. Thanks for letting us know.

Best regards,

Amanda

#28 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:28 AM

Groupon has the same deal today!
- Kathy

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

#29 philthyanimal

philthyanimal
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:26 PM

when i was at the olympics the japadog line was seriously over 40 mins to get a dog...i walked up to the cart and saw a bunch of pics of celebs enjoying their japadog, but in the end i couldnt justify waiting that long (since i was sooooo hungry) for a hotdog. lol i went over and saw a hole in the wall schwama shop instead...the line was significantly shorter, but i still waited for 30 mins. damn olympics.

#30 cramsay

cramsay
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:16 PM

Mojo dogs are here! Dogs are all-beef Polish, flavorful. They'd been on the rollers for a while when we got them, so they were getting a little shriveled, but still very tasty. Wasabi mayo on the C-dog isn't very powerful, and I'm not sure that cream cheese is the right addition for that one. Didn't get to taste my partner's kimchi dog. Will try the pickled dog next time.

Attached Files

#31 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:29 PM

I think I know what's for lunch tomorrow....

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#32 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:06 PM

Posted Image

Wife and I tried the dogs.

Posted Image

I got the mojo dog, with spicy mayo, teriyaki, fried onion, and nori. First of all, these are pretty hefty hot dogs. Definitely larger than 1/4 lb. Maybe 1/2 lb. Decent flavor, sweet and garlicky. I liked the combination of flavors, but took off about 1/2 the nori, which overpowered the rest, imo.

Posted Image

My wife got the pickled dog, with green onion, spicy mayo, and pickled daikon and carrots. This was tasty as well, but also a little out of balance, overwhelmed by the onions. They needed to double the pickled items and halve the green onions, imo.

I'd like to try more of the dogs, but even a little out of balance on flavors, they're a good deal with a side of chips and such hefty sausages for under $5. Decent buns with just enough sturdiness to hold up, too.

Posted Image

Not sure if they're still doing the shave ice. The menus have been streamlined significantly.

Place was PACKED with Asian tweens and teens, which was nice to see.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#33 cramsay

cramsay
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:39 PM

Not sure if they're still doing the shave ice. The menus have been streamlined significantly.

I asked when I was there, and they just haven't got the new menu made up for the shave ice, but they're still doing them. I also complimented them on the new menus, they are quite nice. My crappy phone camera didn't do them justice. Thanks for posting better photos. And agree that they need to work out a few of the combos.

#34 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:59 PM

Asian teens and wasabi mayo? you TRYING to make me drop everything and go?
;-p
breakin' the law, breakin' the law!

#35 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

I was in there for lunch today--got the peanut dog, which is the beef dog with green and red onions, peanuts, and peanut sauce. Very very good, though I was wishing for a bit more bite to the sauce. Those dogs, though, are really top notch. Big beefy taste, perfect texture, and a bun that stands up to them without being big and bulky. Outstanding. They've got the shave ice menu up now, probably 5-7 options listed.

#36 mojocrepes

mojocrepes
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:49 AM

Check out our new shaved ice menu on our website! We took people's advice and revamped our shaved ice menu with more traditional toppings!

Posted Image

Went in to Mojo not long go to try the Taiwanese shave ice. Here's the new menu:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We got the caramel twist: cinnamon toast crunch, caramel, and banana.

Posted Image

Very good combination of flavors. They went really well with the subtle shaved ice milk. The texture is really interesting. It's in long strands that are really light. They seem to hold together better than regular shaved ice. It's way lighter without the sweetness of Italian ice or granita or sorbet. I do wish they had more of the traditional flavors, but I understand why they stick with a lot of the American toppings.

This place serves two unique, wonderful desserts and seems to do them both well. People really should be searching them out.

#37 mojocrepes

mojocrepes
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:51 AM

Just FYI, the bubble tea cafe next door (Blue Sky Cafe) is now owned and operated by Mojo Crepes!

All the drink recipes are the same but we really improved the interior overall.

We also connected Mojo Crepe's dining space with the Blue Sky Cafe dining space, so now more room than ever.

Hope to see you all sometime.

Best,
MJ

#38 todd_san

todd_san
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:08 PM

Glad to hear the remodel is done. The concrete dust topping our last crepe experience was not very delicious.

#39 ricechaz

ricechaz
  • Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:20 AM

Was there with the family a couple of weeks ago. My daughters love the crepes but are also huge bubble tea fans, personally, I can't stand the stuff. Having the two places together makes my life a little easier. I had the Seoul dog and the combinations work fantastic. Only change would be to have the kimchi at room temperature. Seems kind of oft putting to have cold kim chi on top of a grilled dog. But that's just me though I plan to have another on my next visit to PDX.
Charlie
Hood River, OR

"No matter where you go...
there you are."
Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

#40 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:00 PM

Posted Image

Got the Seoul Dog recently, which has kimchee, red and green onions, and gochujang. It might be the best of their dogs, but still is a little bit prettier than it tastes. The balance of flavors are just a little off on each of the dogs. I feel like if I could use the same ingredients and prepare my own, I could make something tastier just by changing the balance of condiments. Here, I would reduce the amount of onion and smother the thing in kimchee and gochujang. (Might be good to mix the gochujang with mayo, too.) But the brightness of the kimchee works great and its a tasty, hefty dog. Probably the best dogs east of 50th.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's