40 replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:47 AM

Posted Image

I usually take Foster home or travel 82nd, rarely going down Division. However, a while back my wife and I noticed Mojo Crepes. It was too cold and we were too stuffed to stop, but tonight after Minh's, we had both the parking space and the stomach space to justify a visit.

Posted Image

I'd never heard of Japanese crepes, but one look at the interior and I knew that's what we were in for.

Posted Image

We were the only customers when we came in (others came in as we ate). A couple of the guys behind the counter were battling it out on the Xbox, using wireless controllers.

The website explains their origin story:

Mojo, originally codename: MJ52 was the subject of a Japanese science experiment to develop a fast acting growth agent. The premises of the experiment was heavily based on “project: Godzilla” that occurred back in the 50’s.

The experiment was initially successful as Mojo stood over 100 feet tall. However through time, Mojo’s size shrank exponentially. With all out failure of the experiment, the scientists quickly and discreetly disposed of poor Mojo.

Miraculously though, Mojo survived and wandered the streets of Tokyo until finally finding refuge with a local crepe street vendor. There, he was introduced to the art of crepe making and learned everything about producing these wonderful tasty treats.

It wasn’t long until the evil scientists learned about Mojo’s existence. With fear of becoming captured, Mojo fled Japan and was washed onto the shores of the Oregon Coast…

There, he befriended two locals and began sharing the tales of a cone-shaped hand held crepe. The three realized what they had to do…

Open a crepe shop and share Mojo’s story to the world to exploit the evil scientists!

I talked to them. It's not a franchise or chain. It's just their re-visioning of a Japanese crepe cafe. Here's the menu:

SIGNATURE CREPES
all crepes come with whip cream & a pocky on top!

the mo: banana, vanilla ice cream, nutella - $4.75
the jo: strawberry, vanilla ice cream, nutella - $4.75
the mojo: strawberry, banana, vanilla ice cream, nutella - $5.25
berry-ba-licious: blueberry, banana, strawberry, cheesecake ice cream - $4.75
cinnamon delite: butter, cinnamon & sugar - $3.25
fudgin good: mandarin orange, death by chocolate ice cream, strawberry syrup - $4.75
green mango: mango, peach, green tea ice cream - $4.75
five-o: kiwi, strawberry, banana nut ice cream, nutella - $5.25
big show: banana, vanilla ice cream, nutella, caramel - $5.25
tokyo sundae: red bean paste, green tea ice cream - $4.25
the mutt: kiwi, banana, strawberry, cookies & cream ice cream - $5.25

A LA CARTE

empty: plain crepe with whip cream & pocky stick - $2.75

ice cream: single - $2.25, pair - $3.00, trips - $3.50, with plain crepe - $1.00

toppings: add toppings to crepe or ice cream - $.50 each
- fruit: banana, blueberries, kiwis, mandarin oranges, mangoes, peaches, strawberries
- wet: blackberry syrup, caramel syrup, chocolate syrup, nutella, red bean paste, strawberry syrup

We ordered a special, the Jean's Flambe, vanilla ice cream, cinnamon, sugar, caramel, and bananas.

Posted Image

Crepes are made to order. Fruits are sliced to order. It's all assembled before your eyes. I didn't get a video, but their twitter account linked to a couple videos of other places doing the Japanese crepe thing:

That's a pretty elaborate version, but many of the choices at Mojo aren't much less involved.

Posted Image

Think of it like an ice cream cone, the waffle substituted with a crepe. It's not as efficient a vehicle for delivering ice cream to your mouth, too soft, but much more effective as a holistic dessert. It's not about the ice cream. It's not about the crepe. And it's certainly not about the whipped cream or syrup. It's about the whole thing being able to be stuffed into your mouth. I didn't get a sense that any of the parts were especially good, but the whole thing was darn tasty. The one we got was like bananas foster without the booze. The flimsy spoons are useless, but once you get a couple bites into the ice cream, the whole thing smashes into a munchable crepe.

Fun place. I often complain about how there's nowhere for ice cream or even a good dessert along 82nd, so I bet we'll be back. It's 2 1/2 miles each way from my house. If I ride my bike each way, can I assume that I've burned as many calories as I'll consume?

Mojo Crepes
8409 SE Division St
Portland, OR 97266
http://www.mojocrepes.com

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#2 mariko

mariko
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:57 AM

I am so happy I could cry. Can't wait to try it! That origin story, though? Completely kooky, but in a good way, of course. Thanks for the discovery, Nick!

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:06 AM

No problem. I'll be interested to hear what you think.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#4 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:25 AM

Sounds fun, what brand ice cream are they using?

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:29 PM

I think they import some of it from Japan. But like I said, it's not the quality of the ice cream that you go for.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#6 beerchan

beerchan
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Japanese

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:45 AM

Holy crap! This is amazing news! I used to LOOOOOOOVE eating these in Japan Town, San Francisco. It's been so long since I've had some. Good lookin' out, MSG.

#7 mariko

mariko
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

Checked it out Saturday afternoon! It's a cute shop, bright and clean, and there seems to be a hang-out factor (there's a couch and magazines, manga, a TV in the corner, ... ). I got one of the specials. I can't remember what it was called, but it was a crepe with strawberry ice cream, strawberries, blueberries, blackberry syrup, and whipped cream. Yahoo! Now, I like strawberry ice cream, but it is rarely my first choice of ice cream flavors. This strawberry ice cream was flavorful and creamy, though, and I really enjoyed it. The combo of the creamy ice cream and crisp crepe is really nice. The thing started dripping all over my hands, but I didn't really care.

The shop also sells some bottled and canned drinks, like various flavors of ramune. They also have complimentary tea, which is a nice touch. Apparently they have been open since October. How could I not have known this? And if it weren't for Nick, I would still be in the dark! THANK YOU, NICK!!

Attached File  mojo.jpg   104.43K   1 downloads

#8 Dragondazd

Dragondazd
  • Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

YES! This IS like Sophie's in San Francisco--the people there knew exactly what we were talking about. I"d been wanting this ever since I moved like almost 8 years ago. I'm all :rolleyes: for green tea ice cream, strawberries, and nutella plus a pocky stick! seriously how can you have a crepe without ice cream? This is even better than the last one we had in LA.

#9 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:43 PM

This place needs more people going too it. The guys working there are nice, the ice cream is good with some nice combos, and it's not too expensive.

#10 mojocrepes

mojocrepes
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Just FYI:

Tuesday March 2, 2010 - 'Crepes for Haiti' event at Mojo Crepes. 100% of all net proceeds earned on that day will be donated to the American Red Cross - Haiti Earthquake Relief Fund. Mark your calenders!

Come support the cause and enjoy a crepe at the same time! Special thanks to 'My Brother's Crawfish' and 'Elite Signs' for sponsoring time and money!

http://www.mojocrepe...ess_release.pdf

8409 SE Disivion St.
Portland, OR 97266

#11 BaconLuv

BaconLuv
  • Members
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:bacon, comfort food, vintage cocktails, karaoke

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:34 PM

Sounds and looks awesome! Can't wait to check it out.
The ironclad rule on music in any kitchen I control: NO Billy Joel, NO Grateful Dead. - Tony Bourdain

#12 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:36 AM

Welcome to the forum, mojocrepes, and thanks for the information!

Best regards,

Amanda

#13 mojocrepes

mojocrepes
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:14 PM

Welcome to the forum, mojocrepes, and thanks for the information!

Best regards,

Amanda

Thanks, glad to be here!!

#14 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:06 AM

Went for their Haiti event tonight. I got the green mango: green tea ice cream with mango and peach. Friend go the jo: vanilla ice cream with strawberries and nutella. Both were tasty, though the jo was especially so. I'd like to try nutella and green tea with maybe banana. Shot a video:

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#15 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:56 AM

Wow, that's quite the process to make & fill those things! We'll go check it out this weekend.

#16 reduxredux

reduxredux
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

Went here tonight and got the Green Mango and the Jiggly Puff from the specials board.

Everything was pretty tasty, although I wasn't feeling the canned peach on the Green Mango. I can do frozen berries, but a canned peach is a canned peach, and canned peach = bad cafeteria memories.

My dining companion and I both agreed that it got better as we got past the top third and the ice cream and toppings melted into the chewy crepe.

Mojo itself is very welcoming, the people were nice, and I felt like we could've hung around for a long while. This isn't exactly a destination, but I'll probably come back again for some XBOX and ice cream.

#17 mojocrepes

mojocrepes
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

Hello everyone!

We now have Taiwanese-style shaved ice aka MOJO ICE!

This shaved ice is nothing like you've seen/had before! Milk flavored ice blocks are finely shaven down to give this dessert a light and airy texture. Topped with fruits, cerial, and other toppings!

We are the only shop that has this north of San Jose and south of Richmond, BC, Canada! Come try it :D

Posted Image

http://sphotos.ak.fb...13_511926_n.jpg

#18 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

Right on!

I'll be in soon!

#19 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:13 PM

http://www.oregonliv..._cool_alte.html

Mo Nguyen and Jon Hopkins went to high school and college together in Portland, where both studied business, before their paths diverged for four years. Hopkins found employment locally; Nguyen headed to San Francisco. There, in the Japantown neighborhood, he came across the Japanese-style crepe: a sweet crepe with a smear of this or that with a scoop of ice cream and assorted toppings. The combination is all rolled up into a soft cone.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#20 Dragondazd

Dragondazd
  • Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:16 PM

duuuude, do you have red bean yet? (: