Photo

Irving Street Kitchen

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

From the San Francisco Chronicle's Scoop column, another SF restaurant group is attempting to colonize the Pearl District:

Branching out: Town Hall/Salt House/Anchor & Hope partners Mitch Rosenthal, Steven Rosenthal and Doug Washington are fine-tuning a deal to open a restaurant in Portland's trendy Pearl district. It won't be a replica of any of their San Francisco spots but will serve "American food, with our sensitivities," Mitch Rosenthal says. None of the three partners intends to move there, but they will choose the chef and other key staffers from in-house.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.co.../#ixzz0cdoHtGrZ

I'm not sure if they realize that the population of people willing to pay big bucks to dine in the Pearl District was not enough to support Manzana/Palomino and Bay 13, to name a few that have tried and failed (there's a hilarious list of Pearl District failed restaurants at Eater PDX. Town Hall (avg entree > 25) , Salt House, and Anchor & Hope in SF are all incredibly loud and pretty pricey. My parents, SF residents, have enjoyed Town Hall and Salt House, but never become regulars due to the noise. This could be a great addition to the Portland dining scene, but I'm concerned that with no local oversight, it could be pretty disappointing or inconsistent. Best of luck to their new venture...

#2 Twohearted

Twohearted
  • Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:03 PM

Closed for remodeling until some time in April. They're just doing private events until then. "Remodeling" seems a little suspect since their space looks pretty nice anyways.

#3 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

Moved Twohearted's post from the Bay 13 thread since Bay 13 is closed and the Oregonian announced back on Jan 29th that the Rosenthal/Washington partnership "are ready to lock down the lease at 701 N.W. 13th in the Pearl District's Crane Building". The new place will be tentatively called "Crane Tavern". They confirmed to the Oregonian that they are going to renovate:

bring in one of their designers to "warm up" the roomy space. "This is a beautiful building, and a beautiful space, says Rosenthal. "But we built out two of our places .. and if you've seen them, you'll know they're much warmer than this." If all falls into place, Rosenthal would like to be open by May.

Read more here.

#4 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:11 PM

I love Town Hall and would think a place like that would do very well here, regardless of noise level. I think their lack of personal oversight though and just hiring someone here to execute their vision is a huge mistake. Town Hall can itself be inconstent at times, and they're on site. I can't imagine them running a place in Portland and not being here. I do hope I'm wrong and that it turns out great.

Almost off topic, but wow those chandeliers at Town Hall are amazing. Have always loved those. I asked a server once if they knew where they came from. Apparently they're originally from an old brothel in San Francisco.

#5 Twohearted

Twohearted
  • Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:06 PM

Nice! It was certainly disappointing to move into the Crane Building and find that the restaurant right on the ground floor was a random-ass mismash. I remember sitting at their bar and looking over and seeing a sushi bar area and commenting about how strange that setup was. Bay13 was still good for their late night happy hour with their raw bar, but now I'm excited for this new place.

I would also add that the feeling I get with a lot of Pearl District restaurants is the same feeling I get when I see new buildings going up here: developers can be greedy, short-sighted people. Just because you open a restaurant with modern decor, serving trendy food in a trendy area of a city, that doesn't mean you're going to do well. What is going on in the Pearl District now is that the mediocre places are being purged and, hopefully, the good places will remain. Overall, it's great for the development of the Pearl District. One thing my wife and I don't understand, is how Le Bouchon is still in business. That place is seriously mediocre.

#6 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:43 PM

http://pdx.eater.com...rmer-bay-13.php

Now, word is that the San Francisco restaurateurs who've taken over the location —brothers Mitch and Steven Rosenthal and Doug Washington— are naming it The Irving Street Kitchen.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#7 hoonan

hoonan
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:17 AM

a little more info from the SF Chronicle.

http://www.sfgate.co...?...L&type=food

#8 Twohearted

Twohearted
  • Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

Charcuterie and wine! That's like my ideal post-work snack. My hopes are rising further.

#9 Twohearted

Twohearted
  • Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:22 PM

They're set to open May 7th. I haven't seen the inside yet, but I'm expecting that the interior was totally redesigned given the amount of work they've been doing.

#10 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

They're set to open May 7th. I haven't seen the inside yet, but I'm expecting that the interior was totally redesigned given the amount of work they've been doing.

I LOVE the wagon-wheel looking chandeliers they've put in. They remind me some of the ones they put in at Town Hall in SF. Although I heard somewhere that those chandeliers once (the ones in Town Hall) came from an old building that was once a brothel. Who knows if that's true, but they're really cool.

Here's Irving Street Kitchen's facebook page. Lots of photos there.

http://www.facebook....en/357130428467

#11 Twohearted

Twohearted
  • Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:26 AM

Another article, more photos. I did see people in there last night so I think they've had a soft opening. We're going to check it out tonight to see if they're open. I can't imagine they'd stay closed on First Thursday. The interior looks awesome.

http://www.oregonliv...rs_open_ir.html

Friday's opening of Irving Street Kitchen is as exciting for what it symbolizes as for its potential to deliver first-rate Southern-accented American food. Located in the remodeled Pearl District space that formerly housed the lightly regarded Bay 13 restaurant, service initially will be limited to dinner-only seven days a week, though plans are in place to launch weekend brunch in early June and a takeout barbecue operation during the height of summer.

Irving Street Kitchen is the joint brainchild of San Francisco restaurant veterans Doug Washington and brothers Mitch and Steve Rosenthal. The three have been working together for more than 20 years, first under Wolfgang Puck at the once-grand Postrio restaurant near San Francisco's Union Square, then on their own at several acclaimed restaurants.

Washington has long been regarded as a front-of-the-house wizard with a flair for design, while the Rosenthals provide dazzle in the kitchen. San Francisco Chronicle reviewer Michael Bauer has named Town Hall, one of their restaurants, among the Bay Area's best every year since it opened in 2004.

Their website is also up:

http://www.irvingstreetkitchen.com/

#12 uzideth

uzideth
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:16 PM

Again with the 'comfort-food-as-fine-dining' schtick.

Hopefully they do a better job than the Original or 50 Plates, but I just find the concept tired. If I want comfort food, nothing tops a place like Podnah's (or K&Z's). And if I want a big night out, I'm not usually thinking fried chicken.

Wish the best for all involved and hope the owner guys bring their big city rich guy friends to our friendly little burg.

#13 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:33 PM

Not that this should be a "Zusman" topic, but he doesn't actually write many, if any, of their reviews of major restaurants. He focuses primarily on news bits, what's opening, what's closing, etc, plus ethnic joints, food carts, and the like.

Well, that makes me feel a little better about the editorial separation in the Food section. The tone I still find a tad enthusiastic for a news piece.

Back on topic, I'm genuinely excited to go to Irving Street Kitchen. I thought about taking my parents this weekend for a few seconds, but scotched the idea of going during their first week. It will be pleasure to have more options in the Pearl District and I'm excited by weekend brunch that I don't have to cross the river for. I'll definitely try this place out in the next few weeks.

#14 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:32 PM

No offense at all to Christine Law, but I sighed when I saw they have a pastry chef, and it's someone from CA...too many talented pastry chefs here who I am sure could have used that job. Bring it Christine, welcome to PDX, show us what you got! ;o)

I wish them well, but since I live around 7 blocks from Screen Door and currently have a limited income, I probably won't be running there too often...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#15 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:14 PM

I'm VERY excited about the opening of this place and can't wait to go check it out! I really love the food & decor at Town Hall, so I'm really looking forward to seeing Irving Street's menu. The only thing I don't like about Town Hall is that it's REALLLLY loud, like, hard-to-hear-the-other-person-at-the-table loud. I wonder if they did anything to Irving Street for noise control. Other than that, if the food is as great as they put out in SF, I think it'll be a huge hit here & a great addition to the Portland scene.

#16 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

Amen on the noise issue - my parents refuse to go back to Town Hall despite all of us loving the food, service, and location due to the noise. They do make attractive acoustical tiles and other noise abatement surfaces now, so it's just up to the restaurant owners to install them when they have an issue. (And if the SF Chronicle gives you a bomb for noise 6 years in a row, there's definitely a noise issue).

#17 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:55 PM

I hope Irving Street Kitchen is much more like Salt House than Town Hall. The former had poutine, the latter had a more expensive and not as good roast chicken as Zuni Cafe.

#18 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:41 PM

I hope Irving Street Kitchen is much more like Salt House than Town Hall. The former had poutine, the latter had a more expensive and not as good roast chicken as Zuni Cafe.

I heart Zuni Cafe's roast chicken. Mmmmmmmm.

#19 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:38 AM

They really need a menu on their website. Fucking carpetbaggers.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#20 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:52 PM

The argument over Zusman's article and whether Portland's food scene needs recognition, etc, has been split out here:

http://www.portlandf...w...c=10669&hl=

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's