Restaurants serving Meat Loaf

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 salmonfly65

salmonfly65
  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:50 PM

Stopped by Pause again for lunch today and tried their meat loaf. Two rather large pieces covered home made fries with sea salt. It was all covered in a pretty decent gravy. My only complaint is that it was a tad too salty - couldn't tell if it was just from the fries or elsewhere. Probably the best meat loaf, outside of my house, I've had was down at the Bandon Dunes Resort restaurant. I think they called it something like Mother Thayer's - but it's tough to make that four hour trek for meat loaf.

Would like some recommendations of places here in town that do it right.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,045 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:36 PM

K&Z deli has meat loaf. It can be on the salty side at times, but I really like it. Probably not something you can get, but I like it best with the tomatoey pot roast "gravy" rather than the caramelized onions it comes with. My wife likes it on Wednesdays when she can get it with mashed potatoes and gravy.

Mother's also has a meat loaf, but I haven't had it in years. I think Savoy has one, too, but they don't have their menu online.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#3 M2inOR

M2inOR
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:53 PM

Thanks in advance.

Jake's Grill has it frequently as one of their lunchtime "Blue Plate Special" meals. I've had it a number of times on Fridays. Their other blue-plate specials are quite good too. This is on 10th next to the Governor Hotel and across from the Galleria.

When I see meatloaf and gravy on a restaurant menu as a special, I'll frequently give it a try. Most common complaint, though, is it being too salty. The one at Jake's was fine.

Mike

#4 Emile

Emile
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:15 PM

Thanks in advance.

Jake's Grill has it frequently as one of their lunchtime "Blue Plate Special" meals. I've had it a number of times on Fridays. Their other blue-plate specials are quite good too. This is on 10th next to the Governor Hotel and across from the Galleria.

When I see meatloaf and gravy on a restaurant menu as a special, I'll frequently give it a try. Most common complaint, though, is it being too salty. The one at Jake's was fine.

Mike

Blueplate has a meatloaf sandwich on Fridays, but I haven't gotten there yet. I had Pause's version recently too - I didn't find it too salty, but it was extremely rich. Another place with a meatloaf sandwich I haven't tried is Che Cafe, the cart on N. Williams.

#5 Schmeesa

Schmeesa
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:53 AM

Widmer Brothers has a huge meatloaf sandwich that's pretty decent. Russell St BBQ also has a delicious smoked meatloaf as a blue plate special every Monday.

#6 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

Smoky Mountain BBQ, which has relocated to The Workshop on 21st and Clinton, has a damn tasty smoked meat loaf that's also very reasonably priced. They're open 4-9pm 7 days.

#7 Dragondazd

Dragondazd
  • Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:43 PM

I'm not a meatloaf fan but,

I found Pause's unremarkable
The Observatory one is ok, juicy

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,045 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:13 AM

Smoky Mountain BBQ, which has relocated to The Workshop on 21st and Clinton, has a damn tasty smoked meat loaf that's also very reasonably priced. They're open 4-9pm 7 days.

I can second that. It's actually my favorite thing of theirs. A little crumbly and sometimes dry, but tasty.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#9 salmonfly65

salmonfly65
  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:31 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions - will start making the rounds soon.

#10 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:10 AM

ALERT!!

Taste Unique posted their lunch menu on Facebook:

TUESDAY LUNCH: *Onion soup *Zucchini Soup *Vegetarian Lasagna *Fresh Fettuccine with Zucchini&Thyme *Tuscan Meatloaf (served with baked potatoes and green salad) ---DESSERT: *Torta MAntovana *Tiramisł *Coffee PannaCotta.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#11 joeleatspdx

joeleatspdx
  • Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:25 AM

When I lived in Rochester, NY for 2 winters, I did a meatloaf-a-palooza. I think it was 28 different restaurants for meatloaf. Folks, remember, this was Rochester.

Perhaps a good thread or poll could be "Meatloaf - Gravy (mushroom?) versus Tomato based"
-- bacon IS a food group.

#12 myswandive

myswandive
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:38 PM

When I lived in Rochester, NY for 2 winters, I did a meatloaf-a-palooza. I think it was 28 different restaurants for meatloaf. Folks, remember, this was Rochester.

:think: I miss Wegmans. They had/have good meatloaf.

#13 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:05 PM

:think: I miss Wegmans. They had/have good meatloaf.

Yeah, but you can get Zweigle's white hots at Superdog (both locations!) to ease the pain... ;o)
Never give up! Never surrender!

#14 dagrassroots

dagrassroots
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:30 PM

ALERT!!

Taste Unique posted their lunch menu on Facebook:

TUESDAY LUNCH: *Onion soup *Zucchini Soup *Vegetarian Lasagna *Fresh Fettuccine with Zucchini&Thyme *Tuscan Meatloaf (served with baked potatoes and green salad) ---DESSERT: *Torta MAntovana *Tiramisł *Coffee PannaCotta.

Had this today. Came with roasted potatoes in a very oily (in a good way) sauce. It was studded with, I believe, pancetta. It was very good.

#15 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:40 AM

The Tuscan meatloaf is back on the menu today as well. And of course I ate a big breakfast, dammit.

#16 salmonfly65

salmonfly65
  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:30 PM

Crap - I ended up at Henry's Tavern and tried their meatloaf sandwich. I've copied my post from that thread below.

"I was in the area today and stopped in for lunch. I sat in the bar area. It was awful from every perspective. First - the service was, well, nearly non-existent. My waitress (Torrey) appeared to be in a different place - meaning she'd rather be anywhere but there. My thought is if you don't like your job, take steps to find a different one. She didn't even attempt to put on a good face. I ordered their meatloaf sandwich and she started taking steps away before I was done with the order. The menu says it comes with either fries or chips - she gave me a look like I was from outer space. She said that this particular sandwich came with chips. As she was again stepping away from the table (now about six feet away) I asked if I could substitute either onion rings or Gorgonzola fries. Of course as she continued her backward momentum toward the machine where orders are placed. It was like there was some gravitational pull. Back to this in a moment.

As for the food, it was very bland. The loaf, by itself, was somewhat moist but had no flavor whatsoever. It was plopped on bread and covered with some mashed potatoes, fried onions and gravy. There was no hint or horseradish in the mash or mushrooms in the gravy. The meal was barely palatable.

Back to the service. Torrey kept a safe distance the remainder of my visit. A different lady brought out the food. No one offered water. When Torrey saw I had put my wallet on the table, she came over, not to see how the food was, but to drop off the bill. Again, her departure from my table was lightening quick. When she saw my place money in the folder she was back again. A quick trip to the till and she was there with my change. I debated about the tip longer than I should have. In the end, I tipped about 17% and have vowed not to return.

My last experience was with my daughter and dad in the main seating area of the restaurant. Maybe this makes a difference in the service - I dunno."

#17 salmonfly65

salmonfly65
  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:09 PM

Met a friend at Besaw's today and had their meatloaf sandwich. In a word - dry. Another word - tasteless. The split pea soup was good though. And the chairs were strangely low to the ground - very odd and almost a hazard. Can't think of a reason to return. It was nice, however, that all of the construction on NW 23rd has been completed.

#18 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:19 PM

salmonfly65 if you ever go up to Seattle there is a sports bar called Buckley's that has some really great food. John had meatloaf there and it was excellent. The portion was very large(instead of slices it came like two bricks - no joke), the meatloaf was rich and it came with mashed potatoes and a wonderful mushroom gravy if I'm recalling right. I had chicken marsala and it was also delicious. For the type of place that it looked to be from the outside I wouldn't have expected much, but it was really quite fantastic. Lots of great beer on tap, as well. Sorry, I can't tell you what their wine list was like. I had several glasses of Riesling and that was all I cared about when it came to beverages that night! Check out their meatloaf if you ever get the chance. It was excellent.

Best regards,

Amanda

#19 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:01 PM

I hope it's OK to add that if you ever feel like making meat loaf at home, Paul Prudhomme's Cajun Meatloaf recipe is mighty fine.

#20 salmonfly65

salmonfly65
  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

Met my uncle for lunch today at Cafe Nell and we both had their meatloaf. Just different, really. The dish came out on a rectangular plate with elevated edges. Two large pieces of meat loaf covered mashed potatoes. It was drenched with some type of white mushroom gravy. I found it, well, not very appetizing. My uncle, on the other hand, loved it. It was better than Besaw's but I'm having a hard time finding one that can compete with Pause's.

On a side note about Cafe Nell - they no longer use/offer stemware. At all. My wine came in the same glass as my water. The waiter told me it was a storage issue. Really?

@tt1 - that's a great recipe.