Photo

Who would you choose for restaurant of the year?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:18 PM

Okay, as industry folks, who would you choose as restaurant of the year? (And why?)

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#2 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:31 PM

Personally, I didn't get to eat out at as many places as I would have liked last year. A handful of restaurants that I did make it too were extremely good and I kept going back to these again and again... Nuestra Cocina, Taqueria Nueve, Simpatica (Brunch Only), Pambiche and Gotham Bldg. Tavern.

Of the handful that kept drawing me back, Simpatica and Gotham were always impressing me with their new dishes as they changed with the seasons. I never knew what to expect. Benjamin and Raymond at Nuestra also wowed me, as did Stephen and Billy over at Taqueria Nueve.

But given my own personal experience, I would have to give it to Gotham Bldg. Tavern. Tommy Habetz and his crew have always surprised me with their creativity, and more importantly, their execution. I know that the most recent change to the menu at Gotham turned some people away from making it a destination, however I found the new spins on old classics refreshing and they also opened my mind to new possibilities in a lot of food that I love. Evidently, the menu changed again last Wednesday and I am looking forward to seeing what they currently are offering... but it is now time to start looking elsewhere for enjoyment and inspiration and I believe Kim and I are going to Park Kitchen next, which we have never been to.

Again, it is hard to decide upon one restaurant, especiallly when I do not get out to eat as often as many of you and given that all of the restaurants that I mentioned previously were extremely good and always consistent, but Gotham wins for me and Simpatica Brunch is very close behind.

I am curious to see who wins ROTY in the Oregonian tomorrow morning... not that it means anything, to be honest.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#3 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:42 AM

And the winner is....Nostrana. Congratulations, Cathy!

Best regards,

Amanda

#4 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Humankind's attempts at creating beauty in our day-to-day lives, including food and drink, decorative and fine arts, fashion, architecture and design, graciousness, generosity and humor.

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:38 AM

Cathy, Debbie, Marc and David -- well deserved, felicitats!

Annamaria