Photo

Sicilian? Deep Dish/Chicago style

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:41 AM

Anyone thinking of making Sicilian pies or deep dish style pizza out there?

I lived on Chicago for about 5 years and although I never thought of it as "real pizza" (being from Bensonhurst in Brooklyn, NY), I miss it every now and then.

In NYC when I go back and visit, I always have to go to L&B Spumoni Gardens or DaVinci's (on 18th Ave.) for some of the best Sicilian in town.

Thanks for doing this Q&A folks!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#2 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:28 AM

Jill,

I have been playing with Sicillian pizza, along with some New Haven classics (white clam, bacon bianca). Only problem is that I am having a hard time keeping up with the business and menu we already have. Everytime the business seems to level off, a new wave comes and we get even busier. I think the last 3 months were as busy as last July-Sept.

Chicago is a different beast all together. You need A LOT of ovens as each pie takes about 40 minutes to bake. Someone will do it eventually, I'm sure.

Never ruling it out, but not able to really get my arms around enough time at the moment. We'll see what the future holds.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#3 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:31 PM

For the most part I'm a thin crust lover and have gotten spoiled, by Apizza Scholls. I've been temped to go to Ken's on a Monday night as I've heard the sauce has a lovely sweetness. Not only that, but I personally think Ken Forkish is serious eye candy. (Where is that drool emoticon, Nick?) I want to go to Nostrana, but not until I hear better reports about the level of service from their waitstaff. I'll get to both Ken's and Nostrana at some point, I'm sure.

It would be beautiful if someone could offer something close to a Chicago styled stuffed or deep dish pizza. I lived in Chicago for 5 years and loved the dense heartiness of one of those pizzas. Anything like Giordano's, Eduardo's or Geno's East have to offer. Hell, even something resembling Pizzeria Uno would at least mildly satisfy the craving.

I'm not touching anything that deams itself "Chicago Style" at Papa Murphy's or Pizza Hut. They have no frickin' idea what that even means. I'd be more likely to get a calzone or stromboli at some Italian restaurant. That would be closer to stuffed pizza than what those other places claim are "Chicago-Style" pizza.

This incredible panel seems intent on doing very good pizza with an emphasis on the crust and high-quality toppings. A chicago style pizza probably would detract from the true art of their styles of pizza-making. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure the crust is that important (except as kind of a wrapper for the pizza's innards) for stuffed or deep dish. They tend to be more "kitchen sink" type pizzas with lots and lots of goodies within. At least my vision of a Chicago-Style is that. I don't think Brian should attempt Chicago-Style, if he were to try it, in the same strict vein as Apizza Scholls adheres to now. His flavorful, austere thin-crust manna from heaven is perfect as is, but the same cannot be said if those rules were applied to Chicago-Style.

Ingredients shoved into a Chicago-Style pizza should have no limits! More than one meat, if desired, and the more the merrier on other ingredients, too, i.e., olives, mushrooms, spinach, sun dried tomatoes, etc. I'm just a pig, and when we're talking Chicago-Style I want pizza as the heart clogging feast I remember eating when I lived there!

I'd love someone as serious as you are all about your artisan pizzas to take on the Chicago genre of this food and do it as well as you do yours!

Best regards,

Amanda

#4 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:16 PM

I was an Eduardo's fan in Chicago. Pepperoni and pesto deep dish...mmmm...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#5 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:27 PM

Mmm! I love chicago style... My best friend got me hooked! She would have her boyfried bring back a half-baked pie from one of the various places. I got to share in the goodness. While I feel I have not had enough Chicago deep dish to be a critic, I have had enough to know I need to make a pilgrimage to Chicago. In SF, we have two pizzas places (originally one, but a divorce interfered) that make a free-form deep dish with a cornmeal crust, Vicolo Pizzeria (in the alley behind the Hayes Street Grill) and Olives (off Chestnut, now gone). You can get the crusts in the freezer section at New Seasons (stay away from the spelt). For the deep-dish lovers among us, it satisfies my craving. However, that's the pizza I grew up eating. :rolleyes:

Sarah

#6 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:21 PM

In the Bay Area, the best Chicago Style is Zachary's in Oakland (College Ave) and Berkeley (Solano Ave).
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls