• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:42 PM

So, I had some ideas for my wife's main present this year, but now I'm stumped. The idea fell through. So I'll probably go with the shotgun approach.

I plan on browsing lots of cool shops up and down streets like Alberta, Mississippi, NW 23rd, etc, but I'd love some specific recs on things. I'm looking for somewhat unique items, that are cool, not hippyish, perhaps handmade, etc. My wife is a professional woman in her mid-30s and probably prefers things elegant and stylish and cute.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#2 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:45 PM

Spa services (massage, mani/pedi, facial, etc.)

tickets to a show

small evening bag/handbag/wallet/briefcase/clutch/checkbook holder - Ellington Leather is near SandwichWorks, down 24th - they have nice stuff

Equinox is supposed to do some nice custom jewelry if you want to design it yourself, also near SandwichWorks at 24th and Thurman
Never give up! Never surrender!

#3 krx

krx
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:21 AM

My wife is a professional woman in her mid-30s and probably prefers things elegant and stylish and cute.

Check out Canoe, at the corner of SW 12th Ave & Alder. They've got tons of cool stuff. Through them you can get in contact with Larry Olmstead, the guy that makes the Entermodal bags and handbags (super nice stuff!).
Just my two cents...

krx

#4 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,580 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:15 AM

I am half tempted to write down everything I want here and then subtly steer my husband here!

P.S. Does this mean that Lisa never reads the site?

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:54 PM

She very, very rarely reads here. This is great. Keep em coming.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#6 BaconLuv

BaconLuv
  • Members
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:bacon, comfort food, vintage cocktails, karaoke

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:02 PM

Are certificates too boring or do you want an actual "physical" gift? What about a certificate or accessory from Ped X Shoes on Alberta?
http://www.pedxshoes.com/

(I'm guessing picking out a pair of shoes would be too risky, but they also carry purses, wallets, and some limited jewelry...some which I believe is locally-made). Of course, I don't any a woman who would turn down a certificate towards some stylish and comfortable footwear (not to mention they have some killer purses there too).
The ironclad rule on music in any kitchen I control: NO Billy Joel, NO Grateful Dead. - Tony Bourdain

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

Yeah, I don't do gift certificates. I have some rules for gift giving: 1) no gift cards, 2) nothing that the person specifically asked for, 3) nothing primarily useful or functional.

#8 krx

krx
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:59 PM

Yeah, I don't do gift certificates. I have some rules for gift giving: 1) no gift cards, 2) nothing that the person specifically asked for, 3) nothing primarily useful or functional.

Awesome! Then you can't go wrong with bacon floss! :)

krx

#9 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:30 PM

Tahitian black pearls, timeless and elegant.

#10 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:44 PM

Tahitian black pearls, timeless and elegant.

Thiis will be added to my Christmas list. I won't get them but a girl can dream!

#11 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:39 PM

I want to recommend the two pop up stores downtown (on the opposite corner from the block that Williams Sonoma is on). Really great jewelry, clothes and accessories in one and letterpress stationers and clever office supplies in the other. They are called Flurry and Workroom 719, and are around the corner from each other.

I bought a couple of gifts from both shops (plus one for me too)!

#12 Grlfriday

Grlfriday
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:36 PM

You might try browsing Etsy.com they have some really great handmade things on there, not to mention some crazy sh*t too.

Maybe this falls under gift certificates, but dont think so...semi plan a weekend or overnight getaway for her and her closest girl friend. It could be as simple as staying downtown and having reservations at a nice restaurant or maybe a beach getaway.
www.apexrestoration.net

#13 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:38 PM

ruelala.com I'll send you an invite.

EDIT: Just sent you an invite. It's high end designers at ridiculously low prices. Shops are open for 48 hours. You get an email in the morning telling you what's opening, and most things are gone by end of day. Out there right now is Free People, Henkel knives, Bruno Magli for men & women, koolaburra, Cole Haan outerwear for men/women, Silver Oak Cellars (Sold out in less than an hour) and others. They often have spa packages, cruises, all kinds of great stuff at less than half of retail.

Coming tomorrow are:
Charles David
Francesco Biasia (I just looked at the preview & the bags are fabulous. One of these would be a fantastic gift!)
Taverniti SO Jeans
Reed & Barton

Dec 14:
Yves Saint Laurent
Outdoor Research
Outdoor Research - Men's
Ebel
Ebel - men's
Domaine Chandon

Dec 15:
John Hardy (great silver jewelry, could be another option)
Vivienne Tam
adidas Golf
Le Mystere
Staub

Dec 16:
Pink Tartan
Michael Kors - Home
Ben Sherman
Ben Sherman - Men's
Cinzia Rocca

#14 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:34 AM

I want to second Canoe. That shop is awesome, and I can't afford it at all.

My go-to shop when I need a gift is Ink & Peat on N. Williams, next to Lincoln. It's a wonderfully curated store with antiques, jewelry, letterpress goods, high-end soaps, funky vases, pillows, screen-printed purses, and I'm totally obsessed. http://www.inkandpeat.com/retail.html

For clothing and accessories, check out Tumbleweed on Alberta in the same block as Random Order. When I have lots of money, I will buy all my clothes there. http://www.tumblewee....com/index.html

Oh, and Dooce has a couple gift guides, maybe your wife would like some of the stuff she posted: http://www.dooce.com/

#15 Mist

Mist
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:30 AM

There's another pop-up store across from the Galleria. They have some cute purses made from neckties there. I was admiring them before they opened the store.

#16 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:22 PM

Does "pop up" store mean a store that's just seasonal or something?

#17 Mist

Mist
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:02 PM

I think so. There are a few of them around downtown, in what were empty storefronts. They look to be showcasing products from local merchants, and things made locally.

#18 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:04 PM

It's just branding yes. Due to the economy, there were a lot of empty storefronts downtown. The idea was to open them up to unique local retailers for the season.

#19 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:22 PM

Yeah, even the huge empty place across the street from me, which used to be the EcoMotion car dealership, gets rented out for sales. Last week there was a huge t-shirt sale, a couple of months ago it was books... Not a new concept, but a newly popular one with all the vacant storefronts around.

The artists co-op TEAL in Corvallis opens a gallery store every year mid November through Xmas so the artists can sell their beautiful stuff. The artists all have to staff the store and take shifts to keep it open. It's usually some very high quality stuff. I haven't been in years and I kind of miss going to that and Gifts for a Better World down there.

This year TEAL is at the corner of NW 3rd and Jackson in Corvallis: http://www.tealartistcoop.com/
First Congregational CHurch does Gifts for a Better World, but it looks like this year it was in Nov. only: http://www.giftsforabetterworld.org/
Never give up! Never surrender!

#20 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:43 PM

Wow, that sounds really cool. I don't know if I'll get down to Corvallis, but I love stuff like that. Anything like it here in Portland?