• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

You've probably noticed that I added Amazon widgets/ads to the right side of the screen. Hopefully they're not making anyone's experience too frustrating or annoying.

Anyway, just so you know, this site (along with the cost of hosting Extramsg.com and Dallasfood.org which are on the same server) costs me about $1000 per year in direct costs. It's about $720 or so a year for the actual hosting, plus additional fees for domain names, support calls for things beyond my skills, occasional overages, etc. That doesn't include the opportunity cost of my time, which is substantial, dealing with hacking attempts, spammers, site maintenance, administration, outages, software updates, and so on.

Never have asked for money and never will. I added the google ads a while back and get about $10/month from those. I figured with the holidays coming up especially, I might as well add the Amazon links. Personally, I do about half my holiday shopping online -- most at Amazon. So if you're like me and are going to be purchasing from Amazon anyway, you might as well do a search in the search box at the right and purchase through the links here.

FYI, if you ever want to link to an amazon product and give me credit for the link, you can just copy the link from Amazon and add /extramsgcom-20 to the end of it.

Thanks.

Nick

PS The one titled "A Few of Extramsg's Favorite Things" really are all things that I own and really, really like. Well, except the Canon G11 which I'll probably purchase on sale after Christmas if I can build up enough credit with Target returns. ;-) But a friend has the G10 and it does a great job and most people think the G11 is even better.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#2 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:47 AM

I'm cool with the amazon ads. In fact, I saw one for a slow cooker cookbook I hadn't heard of and instantly put it on hold at the library. That's the way it usually goes. I find out about a cookboook, get it from the library, and then if I really like the recipes in it I'll buy it. I'm glad this gives you some financial support for your sites, Nick. I'm always willing to pay my share, if it ever comes down to that, because this group is very important to me. Thanks for keeping it up and running.

Best regards,

Amanda

#3 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:30 AM

No problem, make some bucks wherever you can (well. within reason...I delisted from a long time poker site due to getting non work-safe popups for a variety of services, some of which held a compelling allure).

#4 Joedo6

Joedo6
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:53 AM

I wouldn't care to admit how much time I spend on this site, it's such a valuable resource for me, so your efforts to keep it going/maintain it are much appreciated!

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:35 PM

Well, keep buying kindles through me, then. Amazon must have a great kickback for kindles because one kindle sale through this site made more than all of my amazon sales on Extramsg ever. (I think it's like $2/mo over on that moribund site, so....) That one thing paid for a third of a month's server bill.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#6 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:06 PM

So how exactly does that work? If I click on the ad and go into amazon through PF.org and then I buy something (maybe something other than what the ads are for) then you get some credit for it and it helps pay for the site?

Best regards,

Amanda

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:22 PM

Yeah, maybe. Although if you use the search form on the right and then click on the ad, I certainly get a cut.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#8 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:36 AM

Good to know. Thanks! I won't be buying a Kindle, though. I like "real" books.

Best regards,

Amanda