3 replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:06 PM

Brian, in your bio you write:

I started my career in grain fermentology in 1987, when I was a freshman at UCSC. I somehow talked my way into the head baking position at a small old school bakery making everything from sourdough and challah breads to puff pastry and cookies.

Okay, first of all, I spent a year at UCSC and I highly suspect a study in "grain fermentology" included baking more than just bread, if you know what I mean. Was this just a college job? And did you ever participate in any of the nude parades on campus?

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#2 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:21 PM

Ummm... we did call it Uncle Charlie's Summer Camp for a reason. Since you went to UCSC, I was at Kresge college if that tells you anything.

Yeah, it was a college job, but it really ruined my studies. I had to get up at 2am and I had a hard time going to sleep, with all the fun going on around me... and in me. The only class that I did well in was Photography, which I later pursued at R.I.T. for a year.

I didn't participate, but I saw a lot of naked people during my two years there. I think you were there well after the fact, but there were parties at Porter (End Of The World Party) and Kresge (Kresge Day), which produced some of the weirdest events that I have ever witnessed. The rest of the year there was always some communal naked projects going on out in Porter field.

Remember the College slogan "An Ideal Becoming Real"? We always said "An Ordeal Becoming Surreal".
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:34 PM

Kresge Day was still going strong when I was there in 91-92. They're the ones who had the naked parade. I was in Crown, one of the science colleges which was a little more straight-laced. They asked us to please put a towell under our door if we were going to smoke pot so it wouldn't bother the other residents.

I remember that the first rain resulted in lots of naked streaking, apparently a tradition. Also, the Take Back the Night rally was done all topless or fully nude. And then the equinox bonfire dancing, which again, was done naked.

Did you ever hang out in "Elfland", the redwood forest with all the hollowed trees? They were just deciding to log it to put in colleges 9 and 10 when I left.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#4 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:54 PM

Okay, I guess I was thinking of Porter's End Of the World Party, were I witnessed the naked jello slip and slides on the 4 floor of dorm A. Weeeeeee

I hung out in Elfland quite a bit. I spent my first year at "Clown" college and lived in the Descartes dorm, which I called daycare. I definately did not belong there, but I made some really good friends.

Anyway, my buddy and I would go hiking up the fire trails at night when it was raining and we were a little buzzzzzed. We would always stop at Elfland and take a swing or two on the "Gauntlet", which was the rope swing that went over the deep cliff, if you remember that. One day we went back and the rope had broken off on the limb of the tree and we could not help but think that some poor individual had the smile wiped off of their face in a horrible way.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls