• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sakemaki

Sakemaki
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:22 PM

Hey there,
I am looking for a fresh whole duck or goose, since I am craving it and haven't had that in the longest time. In Germany, now begins the traditional time for roasted duck/goose, potato dumplings and red cabbage with apple and lots of goose fat. YUMMY! I'm no fan of turkey, so that is not an adequate substitute. Do you have a tip where I could find a fresh duck/goose? If that is not available, I would consider a frozen one as well, as long as its "pure" and not already spiced with something.

Thanks a lot!
:)

#2 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:50 PM

IMHO there is a big difference between Peking (also known as Long Island duckling to many of us who grew up back East) and Muscovy duck. Do you have a preference. I used to know a place where you could get a fresh one if it was pre-ordered with a fair lead time. Not sure anymore. Trader Joe's sells frozen and unadulterated muscovy duck.

#3 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:17 PM

New Seasons Market (see the 'Poultry' rubric) and possibly Nicky USA. And I'm sure I've seen duck at Zupans before, though probably frozen.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#4 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:04 PM

Chop has ducks regularly and I'm sure they can get you a goose. Just give 'em a call.

#5 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:55 AM

NickyUSA can get goose as well.. the price on it is pretty outrageous though.

#6 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:16 PM

We did Goose breast for Thanksgiving a year or two ago. Got them from NickyUSA. Much less fuss/mess than cooking a whole goose.

#7 Sakemaki

Sakemaki
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:10 PM

Hi,
thank you for all the answers. After looking at the options I placed an order with New Seasons. Really good value and I can pick it up on Wednesday.
You really helped me out :)

#8 TheBoondockersFarm

TheBoondockersFarm
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:34 PM

Hey there,
I am looking for a fresh whole duck or goose, since I am craving it and haven't had that in the longest time. In Germany, now begins the traditional time for roasted duck/goose, potato dumplings and red cabbage with apple and lots of goose fat. YUMMY! I'm no fan of turkey, so that is not an adequate substitute. Do you have a tip where I could find a fresh duck/goose? If that is not available, I would consider a frozen one as well, as long as its "pure" and not already spiced with something.

Thanks a lot!
:)

Hello,
We are a small farm in Creswell OR specializing in Ancona ducks, an endangered dual purpose breed with incredible eggs and meat. We will be making weekly deliveries to the portland area and thanks to a Good Husbandry Grant from Animal Welfare Approved we are looking to have fresh duck available year round (starting in April) as a by product of our stringent breeding program. Our ducks and chickens are fed a custom feed with local organic grains, peas, soybeans, flax, sunflower seed, kelp, and brewers yeast. Feel free to shoot us an e-mail if you would like some more info or have any questions!
Your Farmer, Rachel
The Boondockers Farm
BoondockersNaturals.com

P.S. You just made me very hungry...

Attached Files

#9 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,037 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:57 AM

Welcome to the site, Boondockers Farm!

Cute dog and duckies pic, just adorable. And your finished product looks mighty tasty!

Nope, no contradictions here, I may not farm or hunt, but I know full well that tasty meat often comes from cute, happy animals...

Where (and when) will we be able to purchase your beautiful birds and eggs?
Never give up! Never surrender!

#10 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:40 AM

Chop in City Market has Pekin Duck. I called earlier in the week and they set aside my order until I could come in and pick it up. I will be cooking it a bit later on today. Calling ahead to higher end butchers is always a good way to find what you want.