Baking Terms

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:21 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but I've never made a decent crust for anything in my life and have never even successfully conquered banana bread. Oh Pizza Pros, can you please explain the terms "levain" and "poolish"? They are obviously very important in your crust-making process, but I haven't a clue what they mean or the differences in them. My perusal into the Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary proved fruitless. Thanks so much!

Best regards,

Amanda

#2 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:38 AM

Levain is French for "levan" or "to rise". We here in the good old US know it more commonly as sourdough.

Poolish is a preferment that uses commercial yeast rather than wild yeast (sourdough/levain). We say "preferment" as you ferment a certain percentage of the flour in your dough recipe/formula before making the final dough.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#3 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:02 PM

No. Since I mix by hand, I need time to develop the gluten thourgh a series of about 5 "stretch and folds" at 45 minute intervals. With that much poolish I would have to have a mixer and do an "improved mix" (moderate gluten development in the mixer) with only about 2 "stretch and folds". I preferment approx. 25% of the flour in a poolish for about 14-16 hours.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#4 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:04 PM

Sorry, I posted to the wrong thread. See the preferment thread for the question and redundant answer.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls