• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:07 PM

Like many of you, I often find it difficult to eat well when driving along I-5, points North. There are lots of suggestions interspersed through out different threads but let’s make one now that’s a collection of decent, dare I say, ‘good,’ places to eat when on the road heading to Seattle or Vancouver, BC.

Let’s limit it to places close to I-5, quick service and GOOD!

I was prompted to start this thread when I came across a surprise in Chehalis, WA. The Chehalis Deli was a real gem: friendly, quick service with some delicious sandwiches and good coffee. They don’t have a grill but were somehow able to toast the sandwich I had which was served on a 6” French Roll. This they consider a ‘Half’ order but is probably enough for 2 if you throw in an extra bag of chips. The one I had was the ‘Bobcat’ and it was really good. Soups also very good. You can see their menu in the link below. Fountain drinks have free refills.

Chehalis Deli, Inc. ( web )
355 NW Chehalis Ave. ( map )
Chehalis, WA 98532
(360) 748-6021

La Tarasca
1001 W Main St ( map )
Centralia, WA 98531
(360) 736-7756

Osaka Japanese Restaurant ( web )
7265 Martin Way E ( map )
Olympia, WA 98516-5534
(360) 413-3911

Southern Kitchen
1716 6th Ave ( map )
Tacoma, WA 98405
(253) 627-4285
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#2 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for starting this useful list!
Any reviews for Southern Kitchen in Tacoma, WA? Or is this too far from I-5 for this list?

#3 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:25 PM

Any reviews for Southern Kitchen in Tacoma, WA? Or is this too far from I-5 for this list?

No, it looks like it's worth checking out. Only about 1.5mi from I-5. I'll add it to the list. Thanks.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#4 daawgon

daawgon
  • Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:44 PM

I know this off of I-5 a little, but has anyone tried Xinh's Clam and Oyster House in Shelton, WA (Olympia area)? I actually met Ms Xinh recently at the Taipei airport (she's Vietnamese, and we were both headed for Saigon). As oysters are a favorite of mine, she gave me her card and I intend to drive up very soon. I ran a google on the place, and Chowhounders seem to love the place: http://chowhound.cho...m/topics/308550

http://www.xinhsrestaurant.com/index

Xinh's Clam and Oyster House
221 W. Railroad
Shelton WA
360-427-8709

#5 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

No, it looks like it's worth checking out. Only about 1.5mi from I-5. I'll add it to the list. Thanks.

John, what have you tried/recommend at La Tarasca and Osaka?

#6 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:03 PM

John, what have you tried/recommend at La Tarasca and Osaka?

I've been to La Tarasca but honestly, I can't remember it at all. Must have been at least "ok" and everyone recommends it.

Osaka I've not tried yet but list it here based on other reviews either on PFG or elsewhere.

Most of the time, I'm really trying to time it so that I can eat somewhere pretty good in the city but occasionally, that just won't work out for my schedule; hence, this thread.
--------------------

#7 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:20 AM

North and south of Seattle are three big Korean communities: Lakewood (just south of Tacoma), Federal Way (just north of Tacoma) and Lynnwood (just north of Seattle). Most of the BBQ joints and sojubangs are only open after 5pm, but if you're looking for Korean soups and stews, they're typically open for lunch, too. I haven't been able to find a Korean fried chicken joint as good as the ones in LA, but there are some that are pretty close, like Chicky Pub in Lynnwood or Cockatoo's in Federal Way.
"I'll settle for a cup of coffee, but you know what I really need." - REM

"Peel all of your layers off, I want to eat your artichoke heart." - Thom Yorke

http://lushangeles.com

#8 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:41 AM

There's a Chicky Pub in the Pal-Do World in Lakewood (9601 S Tacoma Way). The one in Federal Way is closed. (doing lots of research and found this out along the way) It's definitely a place I want to go, as I have never had Korean friend chicken...and I will be near there soon.

Any other place in particular worth checking out in the Lakewood/Tacoma area?
Never give up! Never surrender!

#9 joburn

joburn
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:37 PM

I have really enjoyed Vuelve a la Vida, S. Pacific at about 53rd in Tacoma (not too far off I-5). Excellent Mexican joint, especially the caldo de mariscos. No chips and salsa or yellow cheese, not an Ameri-mex place at all. Cheap.

#10 porky pine

porky pine
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:49 AM

There is a new Jewish deli opening in downtown Olympia. http://www.theolympi...rylink=misearch

#11 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

Let's say you were motivated to eat at or near Olympia, perhaps because La Tarasca is closed on Tuesdays. If you're feeling up for sushi or nabeyaki, I'd recommend:

Koibito

1707 Harrison Avenue
Olympia, WA 98502(360) 352-4751

Mon-Fri 11-9:30   
Sat 11:30-10:00 
Sunday closed

It's about 2 miles off of I-5. 

Atmosphere is a run down waffle house, and they serve the typical arsenal of abhorrent maki to the faithful. BUT: They make very good nigiri and simple rolls, and their fish is fresh and cut well. I'd rank their sushi somewhere near the top of the second tier of Portland: It's not Hokusei, Boxer, Yama. Slightly better than Ichidai or Ikenohana. Much better than Mio. It's good sushi. They do an albacore nigiri seared and dressed with garlic miso and green onion that's outstanding.

There's more action is in the noodle section. They've got a nabeyaki with housemade broth done correctly. Lots of big families there without rolls but with big bowls of soup. I'd definitely take a flyer on some of the more traditional cooked items and soups.

Anyhow, not something you'd make a special stop for. But if you're hungry and don't want or can't get to La Tarasca, this might do the trick.

#12 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:33 AM

Any ideas on where to go on the 4th since La Tarasca will be closed? I'd prefer not to deal with Olympia but could, I guess. it'll be in the early afternoon.

#13 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:55 PM

Someone told me that Tacos El Rey in Centralia has good sopes, carne asada, and other plates. I can't personally vouch though.

#14 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:02 AM

The chefs of Mian told me that too. i'll report.